Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?? re: explaining rage and TS

Hi all,

I am still quite new to the tourette world, but I am NOT new to advocating for my sons. I've have been doing so pretty much since my 13 year old entered school - now maybe I know why! :lol:

Rage and tourettes - can it really be co-related? How do I explain this to teachers/councillors etc with appearing to be a parent that won't see the 'faults' in her child? Is there a good book that I can get to help them see what I am saying? I'm already on the waiting list for the book that has been written by the Canadian Tourette's Association, but is there something I can get through Chapters that would help?

I know that Andrew needs to reconize what is socially acceptable, and when he is calm, he does know. But, when he begins to "meltdown" there is absolutely no reasoning with him. He yells, he will do silly impulsive things like tear pages, or scribble on them, he will hold his breath and claim that he is trying to 'calm down'. He just appears to explode over seemingly little things, then, like a thunder storm, it just ends. THEN, he is upset at what he has done during the storm. Can this be tourette related, or more so an anger issue unto it's own?

I know this will be something I will need to ask the tourette team when I finally get into Toronto Western, but until then (about 6 mos!) I would appreciate some feed back from the real 'pros' - other parents.

Help!

Be well,
    Jori

Re: ?? re: explaining rage and TS

Originally posted by Lupie Jori
    Can this be tourette related
    Yes.

Although not everyone with Tourette's Syndrome has rage issues, this is something that's more common in people with TS. Now, I can't say for certain whether it's a characteristic of Tourette's Syndrome itself, or if it's more a part of associated disorders. Rage is a common thing in many anxiety orders, including General Anxiety Disorder and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

I'm not a parent myself, but I have TS, as does my younger brother. As a teenager, I had my rage issues - and it's definitely like a black-out. Although I still believe you're responsible for your actions when this happens, it is a little like watching yourself do things without any actual control.

That said, I think teachers need to be aware that this is more of a struggle for people like your son -- it's not as simple as "he's just a brat" or "he's selfish". There's actually a neurological process at work that differs significantly from that of a "normal" person -- even reading about it, it's hard to understand without going through it.

I never did this at school, though... it was more of an at-home problem with me. (My brother and I have clashing obsessive-compulsive behaviors -- he often feels the need to touch/poke people, I usually can't stand being touched. That's enough to invoke a rage reaction.) I don't live at home aymore though, and it's been a while since I've had an extreme reaction.
    Colin

Comment

?? re: explaining rage and TS

Welcome and you've asked a good question.

I have a son that has had rage issues in the past or just plain meltdowns.

Schools do not always understand and staff need to be educated on TS and TS+. For this reason asking a local chapter to recommend someone to do an in-service program would help.

With the cooperation of the principal and their schedule, one could be booked during a PA day so all staff members must attend.
      This has helped dramatically in our own case and the staff social worker is well versed in TS and concerns.

We were not so fortunate in the past and this is why I suggest this option. I understand first hand how difficult it is to try to help teach your child to re-direct the rage and keep staff balanced at the same time.

Having a permanent hall pass helps and a place for him to cool down. Having some flexibility with staff members helps too so problems are resolved at school successfully and do not carry forward to home at the end of the day when everyone is existed.

Tolerance tends to be limited in our case. My son is nearly 13 and has TS+
      His anxiety does not help the issues at school and in the past things just had to be done his way which is only a comfort zone they do not like to step out of. Originally his behavior was considered ODD for this reason.

Western will provide some answers for you but you can do some reading here on the forum. We have rage topics specifically in the parents section.

Please be assured you are not alone on this topic and you will find support within this forum.

Take care and I am glad you found us.
      PJK

Comment

Hi Lupie Jori,

My son also experience these 'rage attacks, and meltdowns' It took a while and many meetings, but the school and I have finally come up with some solutions. When my son feels these attacks coming on for what ever reason, ( there are a lot of things that contribute to them ) He now has a 'quiet place' where he can go. He is allowed to get up from his desk, take something to work on and go to his 'quiet place' a room in the office. He composes himself, release the ticks he needs to and then works on whatever he has brought with him until he feels he can return to class. These episodes are starting to decrease, hopefully they will remain that way. Perhaps this is something that you can suggest to your school that will help your son too.

Let me know how this goes.

Comment

Denise,

I wanted to tell you that you are a very good advocate for your son.

To have this quiet place for him is a great solution and it must relieve stress for you knowing that he has a place to go.

Even though it took many meetings and I am sure at times it must have been frustrating, our children are worth it.

Comment

Hi there

You may want to read through some of the posting in this thread as it discusses this issue in lengths. Plus there is a great recap by Uschi on the Explosive Child... a book I highly recommend to any parent especially one who has a child with TS.
            Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Working...
            X