Playing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing

I was just wondering does anyone else's child not really play with their toys?

I have spent a small fortune on the latest toys including some that are very expensive only to have him play with it once or twice and never again?

Is this a characteristic of TS?

I have heard of this behaviour in another child with TS.

Tell us about your child's hobbies.

Playing

Stephanie:

My son still likes Lego's, transformers he can build, simple models (no glue without me) puzzles over 500 pieces, video games, building websites, biking and ball.

He does admit now that sometimes he'd like something but then gets bored with it quickly, now that he is older I delay my purchase and usually he comes back and says don't bother he changed his mind.

This saves me some money and him some frustration of something else to pick up in his room.

He is usually centered around a couple things he likes, the rest is just for looks.

I never related this behavior to TS as much as ADHD. I also give him the money to spend and he always narrows his choices down to something he'd really like now.

Hope this helped...
    PJK

Comment

Playing

I think this is normal, actually.
      Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
      http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

Comment

Playing

I have seen other children play with their favourites and hardly play with other toys but I mean my boy doesn't play with any of his toys.

He just looks at them and leaves them in his room!

Comment

Playing

Stephanie:

Interests change with age, has he expressed his feelings about anything he does like?

His eating and sleeping habits have not altered have they?
          PJK

Comment

Playing

PJK,

I have not noticed any signs of depression in him and with the bullies at school hurting his feelings, I watch for signs everyday.

He is pretty happy right now because school is over this week and I will be home with him this summer.

Actually he has always had trouble falling to sleep and I call him my night owl. He eats pretty good and has a little belly on him so I have no concerns in those areas.

Thanks for your concern PJK.

Comment

My two cents

Both of my sons (aged 11 and 13) do/have done this sort of thing. I think a lot of times it is a matter of seeing something on a commerical, or hearing other kids talking about a new item, and feeling that they just HAVE to have it. Then, they get the toy, they play with it for a bit, and the newness then wears off. Or they realize it isn't as "cool" as the commerical makes it appear. (Need more truth in advertising, me thinks!)

I think they only game/toy in our house that has never had the lost interest is the game cube! lol

I am of the opinion that there are just too many choices out there for them, but they will have certain things that do hold their interests for a bit longer, or they may flucuate on a favourite, but that is probably just a case of being a child in the new millineum rather than TS. If they only had three toys, one would bound to be the favourite and the other 2 would only be a 'sometimes' toy. Ever not know WHAT to eat in a restuarant when the menu is too vast? Must be the same for when they look in to the toy box.

Good question, though - looking forward to other thoughts.

Be well,
              Jori

Comment

Re: Playing

We are in the process of getting a dx so we aren't officially Tourette but my 5.5 year old has never really liked his toys much. He will sit at the computer to play with the cbc kids website or a Reader Rabbit or Magic School Bus video game. He may also have Asperger's and I suspect lack of co-ordination may lead to frustration with many toys. Though even I have a hard time getting the Rescue Heroes in their vehicles or into their back packs. We've gotten rid of the cartoon channel and ytv, so no more commercials. the commercials are truly awful, I actually don't mind the shows half as much. I remind him of the toys he saw on tv that didn't really seem as cool in real life. He sees it, it's never to early to educate our kids about the way advertisers can stretch the truth and make us think we want/need something we don't actually need or even want. I've already decided, no toys for Christmas. Computer games (which he will actually use), Nintendo games (for me my son watches) books and board games are on the list. He wants a microscope which is cool. I also find anything that holds my attention and his (like Nintendo, reading, puppets and board games) are the best toys because more than anything he wants me to play with him no matter what he's doing so there is no use me picking up anything I know I won't like. He is still free to buy whatever he likes with his own $.

Comment

Hi Day,

Those are great suggestions! We have gone with video games and board games and he seems to play with them sometimes.

He has always really enjoyed sports and we go out to games as often as we can.

more than anything he wants me to play with him
                  It has only been this past year (my son is 9) that he has played with other kids more than me. My husband and I joke around that he is tired of us.

He is changing so much that it is hard to keep up with him.

Comment

Hi Steph, We also walk and adventure in the woods with our animals (when the bears aren't around!). Another thing he's really into is stuffed animals. This is one thing I will buy him because I know he will get use out of them. He names them and is usually packing one with him when we leave the house.

I do think that toys in general are poorly made and thought out. My sister's daughter (who is not TS or AS, pretty 'normal') also doesn't like her toys much.

Comment

Working...
                    X