Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

a day out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a day out

Has anyone experienced when an uncle takes your son to an outing, as mine did taking my son to the Sportsman show, and then refusing to let my son on the rock climbing wall because uncle was worried about him. How do you put relatives at ease? My son is 15 and should get his final diagnosis April 14. His Ped Neurologist thinks he may have TS+, ADHD and OCD. It is the inattentive part of ADHD that my son has. I told the uncle that Glenn can do anything as Glenn is aware of what he is capable of.

Rose

understanding

Rose:

I understand your concern and can relate to it first hand with our son and his grand parents.
    Your son's Uncle will balance out in the future and begin to understand the limitations. He probably felt responsible for your son and does not understand the process you have gone through working with doctors. He may not even understand the medical conditions. All this would be new, especially when it is not finalized yet.

Try going with the Uncle sometime when he wants to take your son to an event. Allow your son to explore and monitor the reaction of the Uncle. This helps lay the ground rules for future outings without you.

Our son's grandparents treated him like a fine piece of china in the beginning, not wanting to be responsible for anything and fearing something would go wrong while in their care.

Be patient and set the example for family members so they can follow your lead. These children are basicly the same as any other, you just have to reconize which special needs they have. That is hard for any one not living in the same household to grasp.

You will find this out working with your school system. It is a constant learning process.

I wish you the best and hope everything falls into place for you and your family.
    PJK

Comment

Working...
    X