How would you balance the gap?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you balance the gap?

If you could take something away from your daily activities to balance the gap between quality of life for your child with TS at home and at school, what would it be?
    Janet

TSFC Homepage

Hi Janet,

I would take away homework. After a stressful day at school and arriving home around 4pm, it is very hard to get back into the "let's do some more work" mode. I don't understand why there is such a big push on homework. I mean, what are the kids doing at school all day???
    In our house, homework is very trying and stressful.

Grammy

Comment

Hi Grammy1

As a Mom I agree that is what I would take away too. I do wonder why there is such a need to have homework every day. If the classroom time is maximized then why can't students be free once they depart. You are right about the level of motivation to do work after all day. In our household my husband arrives home no later than 530pm and I work shifts so most days I'm home by 6-7pm... I have 4 in school and the two youngest go to daycare after school... so by 630-7 all are safe at home and we are working on feeding everyone... where do we fit homework?

If I was a stay at home Mom I could see fitting it in after school before my kids felt any "freedom" but really do moms who haven't seen the kids all day really want to start that battle as soon as the little ones come home?

I wonder what other families would choose to take away.
      Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

"The Gap"

Hi! Well, I'm a "stay at home mom" who is also part of that "sandwich" generation. I have an ailing mom who will be moving in with us and two kids with Tourettes.

I agree, the homework thing is extremely challenging! I firstly blame the "new" curriculum that puts a strain on teachers and students alike.

Secondly, because our son suffers from OCD and ADHD (non-medicated), his homework, quite often, is his uncompleted work. His LD is a contributing factor to all of the frustration, for him and me.

I take education so seriously, as I see it as opportunity (as it was for myself), that I get stressed out at the expectations.

My daughter, who also has Tourettes, is an A student. She can cope for the most part, but every once in a while will have a "freak-out" session.

I truly thought by this point that I would still be practicing dental hygiene and helping my kids in the evening.

Instead, I have been advocating for IEP's, understanding the "system" and trying to cope with all of the intricacies of raising children (with or without Tourettes).

I'm feeling tapped out at forty-five..............

But we still keep going, don't we?

Comment

Regardless of what happens, at the end of the day it is about having safe and happy kids.

Locally I am attempting to set up an after school homework tutoring program to get homework eliminated from the home..

Hypothetically, what would you say would be the impact of such a program if offered in your area?
          Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Our school is less concerned about the homework then I am for a change.

I can't expect it to be done in our case and they do not seem to either. As long as my son understands what is being taught and participates actively in class they are happy.

I will be surprised if they take the same approach this coming year as it will be his last year before high school starts.

Time will tell....
            PJK

Comment

PJK

You are fortunate that this was the case. WOW the culture must be pretty understanding in that school. If only all schools could adopt that same level of empathy.
              Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

maybe let him play some games before and in between home work to calm him down oh wait maybe i don't fully understand what you are asking are you talking about ryan anyways I am all for know homework but could you not get in trouble from the school

Comment

Working...
                X