Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

Explaining Mental Illness to Children

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explaining Mental Illness to Children

Books on Explaining a Parent's Mental Illness to a Child or Teen
    Compiled by Carol Watkins, Psychiatrist (Baltimore, MD United States)

Selection of recommended books explaining depression, suicide, schizophrenia, and other mental health conditions and issues, as well as medical conditions and illnessses such as cancer, to children.

Source: Psychlinks
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
    If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
    Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Re: Explaining Mental Illness to Children

I realise this was posted some time ago, but the America TS site which we provide a link to has a great handout or several of them that you can order from them for like $2, that have fabulous ideas for talking to classmates, explaining to your own/other kids etc.
    just thought I would through it out there. I could probably cut & paste it from my own Documents if it is not a problem & ppl. are interested, or you could just contact me via this site and I can forward them to you.
    M

Comment

I realise this was posted some time ago
      Thank you for your response. It really doesn't matter when a forum posting was made, if you see something that interests you and feel you wish to comment or add a question, you are most welcome to do so.

In fact his helps to rejuvenate discussions that may have been dormant.

Would you provide us with more information on the brochures you're referring to, their content and where and how people can get them.

Can you provide us with the URL for these brochures?

I know that it's not always easy to point to the URL of specific pages of TSA, but we'd be interested in knowing more about them.
      Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage
      Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

http://store.tsa-usa.org/for-teens-and-younger.html this is the main link
        Educating Classmates About TS-$1
        http://store.tsa-usa.org/for-familie...essionals.html
        this is the link for Parents info. all info can be bought on line and downloaded right to your comp.

Comment

Thank you for that information. I am sure it will be helpful to some of our Forum members.
          Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage

Comment

ticsx3, thanks for commenting on this older post, or I might not have ever read it. It pointed me towards some good books for trying to explain my struggles with depression to my kids. Steve, thanks too for the link.

cookiemonster

Comment

Hi Steve
              I recently added a few threads that you responded to,...your question on 2 seperate occasions was ( have we had an offical diagnosis from a doctor with knowlege of T.S.)
              we have indeed had the conseltation with the doctor ,..who confirmed that our son has in her opinion T.S. + ,...but we are still waiting for the the offical diagnosis (on paper) so that we can go further with the proper treatment,..thank-you for your insite.

James D

Comment

your question on 2 seperate occasions was ( have we had an offical diagnosis from a doctor with knowlege of T.S.)
                Thank you James. When dealing with Tourette, or suspecting that one has Tourette, in order to move forward in properly dealing with the disorder, a proper diagnosis must be made.

A proper diagnosis must be made by a physician with a clinical experience with Tourette, because many physicians do not have sufficient clinical experience to make a positive diagnosis.

Once all other possibilities are ruled out, then sound strategies need to be found so the person with Tourette can live the best possible quality of life.

Whatever strategies are sought, they must be in the best interests of the child and not those of the parents.
                Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage

Comment

I saw this tread from another angle, 'Explaining Mental Illness to Children' and got to thinking, how would you explain a 'mental illness' to say a child below the age of 10 that had a brother or sister born with a mental issue?

How could we make them understand the situation? interesting question?
                  Tourette Syndrome sites in ableize disability
                  Ableize UK disability information

Comment

We struggle with family members understanding and/or coping and I would love to hear how others have dealt with this. Cousins or even friends with young children have difficulty with our family.

As for our own home we do not have any other children in the house, however I notice my husband (who can be like my child sometimes haha) seems to struggle a lot. He is a step-father to my son and they have a great relationship but there are many times that there almost seems (from my perspective) to be a rivalry between them for my attention, just like two siblings, and they are not always very understanding or accomodating of each other's issues. (They both have TS related issues.)
                    Last edited by mom2TSguy; July 2, 2008, 03:44 PM.

Comment

nice to keep this thread perking. My youngest son 7 is very bright and mostly without issues, but quite competitive with his 10 1/2 bro who has TS (probably +), mild FAE, is very oppositional and extremely competitive. Trying to explain why older bro gets away with foul language and abusive behavior is very hard. Lately the younger seems to be imitating the tantrums of his older bro. Its a challenge to have 2 different standards for behavior, even tho we try to explain to the younger and he does pretty well at understanding the situation. Actually the 10 yr is quite bright too but we haven't succeeded in working with him intellectually - too much of his issues seem to be a visceral thing he can't control or discuss even when he is in control. We work on it weekly with a counselor.

Comment

Working...
                      X