Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

Rage attacks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rage attacks

I've been reading about rage attacks and TS. I was wondering what you all thought or know about this. My son is having some temper outbursts but I thought it was because of the new realization that he is different, possibly forever and the relentless teasing at his school. But could it be part of his TS?

Re: Rage attacks

Hi Isamoma5:

Temper outbursts may not be the same thing as rage attacks. Lots of children have temper outbursts but children who are dealing with neurological issues, such as Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders, do seem to be more prone to temper outbursts. It is somewhat understandable -- they can't control their tics, face lots of social pressure because they are 'different' and may have to continually deal with frustration. The outbursts are not caused by his Tourette, but could be related to him dealing with his symptoms.

Rage attacks are more common in children with neurological issues than they are in the general population. Rage attacks are sudden, uncontrollable, and seem to come out of nowhere. The person experiencing the rage episode may have little memory about what happened during the time they are raging. You can find out more about rage attacks on Leslie Packard's website.

Are your son's temper outbursts causing problems at home or at school?
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator

Comment

To me a rage attack is very, very different than a temper tantrum. My son's last severe rage attack was very violent and very, very scary. It took us to the emergency room actually. For us it is related to his disabilities but likely ADHD coupled with OCD and Tourettes and the fact that he is constantly in trouble for not obeying the rules and hurting people.

Comment

Have you considered taking a Non-Violent Crisis Intervention course Kraft?

I took one a few months ago in order to help me deal safely with a child I was working with. They not only teach you what to do when a child is at risk of hurting themself or others they also spend a good deal of time discussing ways in which you can try and prevent the child's behaviour from esclating to that point.

Although you are taught how to safely restrain the goal is NOT to have to use that intervention.

Comment

I haven't taken any courses yet, but his pediatricians and psychiatrists agree with the methods I have been using so far. If we are not at home I gently but firmly get him into the car and then home into his room, where he comes out only if he is done raging. If we are at home he goes into his room and I do not open the door for anything until he is done raging , unless his room were on fire. I took everything out of there I didn't want broken, of course this did not stop him from ripping off the baseboards.

Comment

yikes and here I thought I had some temper issues when I was younger not to be offensive or anything, any idea what causes these outbursts? I remember that grade 6 and seven were one of the worst years of my life because I was teased constantly and had problems at home and sometimes I would go into my room screaming and banging my fists against the wall or bed I never broke anything but I would be soooooooo angry and I remember once when I was mad I bent my glasses but it was fixable

How old is your son for me when I get really frustrated I just try and think to myself its ok but it is probably different for your son. though another factor for me was I had a bad step father in my life which messed me up

Comment

My son had alot of rage attacks, lasting 1 to 1.5 hours. I knew they weren't tantrums because they weren't attention seeking, he was often depressed afterwards. Once they started there was no stopping until they stopped.
              We initially medicated but he is off of it now and no rages. At 11 he Occassionaly loses his temper but puts himself away and comes back and talks it out.
              What we learned is that we had to make his home environment safer until he matured and learned coping strategies. For example he didn't tolerate change well at all. We stopped going out, having friends over for the most part of a year. We worked very hard and teaching life skills and addressing the issues that lead to the rages. We had to work on it as a family as I have two other older children who had their lives disrupted or rather calmed because noone is unaffected by rages. We talked each rage out after the fact and he had to deal with the consequences of anything broken or feelings that were hurt. We are now still amazed that we can walk out of our home spontaneously with no tears, tantrums etc. All I can say is keep asking why and never assume.

Comment

All of a sudden my 10 yr old has had 3 rages in the last 2 wks. Its knocking the stuffing out of us. Its very physical and I'm scratched and bruised as well as mentally worn. He's diagnosed with TS, maybe Oppositional Defiant, maybe FASD too. We adopted him and a half brother but we don't have much family history. We took a road trip and met 2 other half brothers placed with 2 other adoptive families. Maybe its too much for him to digest.

But he's very very strong and tonight's rage was pretty violent - left me badly scratched, bruised and shaky feeling.

We have a counselor we have been seeing but missed 2 weeks for the trip.

I'm open to advice. Thanks for the TS+ site link above - read some of it and will read more.

Comment

Originally posted by isamoma5 View Post
                  I've been reading about rage attacks and TS. I was wondering what you all thought or know about this. My son is having some temper outbursts but I thought it was because of the new realization that he is different, possibly forever and the relentless teasing at his school. But could it be part of his TS?
                  my son is 16 and still has them, we have been at this for almost 10 years so i have a pretty good idea of all overall pattern, the route is frustration. sometimes the younger kids dont have the vocabulary to use express themselves, my son communicates well and he often will say,'im so frustrated',which means to me he's having a hard time to change how he's feeling and he's feeling that way because he doesnt want to be obsessing , something didnt go the way he wanted it to go because in his mind he has it all planned and the change of plans just isnt acceptable but i found if i can catch it fast enough and keep myself calm,which i cant always to,then i can help step him through it and in the process help him see where its going if we dont hurry and find ways to cope, and its the coping skills that is a biggie. and they really lack them .couple of months ago, he put some sratches on his new paintball marker,just lost it, punched 5 fist sized holes in the wall then got angry at what he done and went for a few rounds on his face. i stayed calm-[this time]. i found a trick and im trying not to laugh as im typing this, i said if he rages again and verbally abuses me or the house ,im leaving for the night, since he suffers from separation anxiety -.... it has helped alot.to help him see himself in all of the drama and the effects on the family...talking talking and more talking has also helped......sherri

Comment

I think my child may has TS. What type of doctor can actually make the dx of TS. Psychchiatrst, or Nuerologist ?

Comment

Hi NeedInfo:

See the posting in response to the thread you started on Who diagnoses Tourette.
                      Cathy
                      Forum Moderator

Comment

Hi there,

Our 8 year old son has started rage attacks in the past month. If he's frustrated or tired, that would be the trigger and he would continue raging for hours. Often, if he has a rage attack in the late afternoon, it continues into the night when he is asleep. He could be sleeping and all of a sudden, around 11pm to 3 am he starts yelling, kicking, swinging his arms around, slamming his head into the bed, throwing things, etc. This has been occurring about every 2-3 days. I could see the rage intensifying as we waited for him to work it out of his system. At night, this carried on for about an hour. Then his dad suggested reading to him (he loves books) and we found that calmed him down very quickly.
                        Has anyone else experienced this and what have you done about it? Any suggestions.
                        Also, does anyone know if clonidine has any side-effects such as rage attacks? Our son did not have rage attacks till after the meds started. He was only diagnosed with vocal and motor tics (TS) initially and I'm wondering if the rage attacks are related to the meds.

Thanks, Jennifer
                        Last edited by jennwr; October 16, 2008, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I don't think our boy ever had rage attacks quite like you describe but he did have night terrors, and sometimes when he got angry he couldn't calm down for a long time, even sobbing and shaking in his sleep. All of this long before we ever tried clonidiine. We only tried clonidine as a sleep aid for a few months. We decided the effects were too dramatic (he would turn into very pale and grumpy rag doll). Melatonin seems to work better for sleep. And now that I think about it, we were concerned that our guy was more combative and we did have a couple pretty violent confrontations shortly before we stopped clonidine. Seems like we had a couple more a little while after we stopped the stuff. Can't be certain the clonidine was the issue though.

Comment

Danmarg,

There is definitely a connection between the medication (clonidine) and the rage attacks our son was having. We reduced his medication by 0.05 mg per day and immediately his rage attacks decreased. Fatigue and frustration can still trigger a rage attack, but he is now able to work through them alot quicker.

Thanks for your response,
                            Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                            X