Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

How many parents chose to Medicate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many parents chose to Medicate?

Originally posted by jenjoshstars
    i would never medicate my son. Fact is you will never stop tourettes and thats the truth. My son has even told me he never wants medication because thevside effects could be worse then his tourettes.
    Everyone's response is different, and while it's true that some medications used to control tics, such as Haloperidol (Haldol) might cause unacceptable side effects in some people, these choices should be made in conjunction with one's doctor based on the benefits vs the risks of the treatment under consideration.

In people whose ability to function in daily life because of their tics, the benefits of some types of treatments might outweigh the inconvenience of some side effects.

However, many of the co-morbid conditions that frequently accompany Tourette, such as OCD, ADD, ADHD, anxiety and even depression are generally easily treated with medications that are relatively well tolerated.

Perhaps your son has been prejudiced by inaccurate information he might have heard, and depending on the severity of his tics and/or other conditions, he would do himself a disservice by closing the door to at least considering treatments that might help.
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
    If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
    Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Hey guys, has anyone ever heard of "Tic Tamer?" It's a Homeopathic formula to control involuntary tics and jerking. I just ordered it online from a company called Native Remedies...The natural choice. It's $41. a bottle. They take 5 drops 3-5 times daily. (in water or on tongue) My son hasn't tried it yet. I'm going to a pharmacist to see what they think and if it's ok to take it with Strattera. I'd appreciate some feedback. I hope it helps my boy.

Comment

Honestly, there is no evidence that ANY homeopathic remedies do anything at all for any medical or mental health condition that you could not achieve with a placebo ("sugar pill"). Indeed, the entire theoretical basis for homeopathy has no scientific basis whatsoever.

I'm afraid you have just wasted $41.

The good news is that it won't interact with Strattera or any other medication since homeopathic remedies are 99.9% water.

Comment

I am new to TS and I would say it is an individual choice and situation.
          First I learned is: Nobody (kids and then adults) with TS are alike.
          I choose not to at this point but if there was situation or my kid would ask for it I'd proabably consider.
          I do not know enough about my option and the meds. Just if TS was painful there is no doubt on my mind.
          Then there is also the question for the co morbid disorders?
          Do you medicate for those seperate or is there a 1 fit all (most likely not)
          So far we have no need for us. Anxiety is big but we were told son has good coping skills (told this comes from parents made me proud)
          There is only 2 tics I could get worried about the jaw popping since it cause problems and the stiffing back thing what is new and just far in between and not a constant tic.
          Last edited by mutter; December 4, 2012, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Do you medicate for those seperate or is there a 1 fit all (most likely not)
            There is no medication specific to suppress tics, however several medications have been found somewhat effective in some people to suppress tics, and are prescribed off label.

Treating co morbid conditions like OCD, ADD anxiety, even depression is much easier with medication therapy, often combined with various forms of supportive psychotherapy.

Currently advocacy groups such as the TSFC and TSA are recommending Comprehensive Behavioural Intervention for Tics (CBIT) which is a form of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy designed specifically for children (people) with Tourette Syndrome.

If you search for CBIT on our Forum and elsewhere you can acquaint yourself with this relatively recent addition to treatment modalities that does not use medications, but rather teaches self awareness and strategies to voluntarily temporarily suppress or redirect tic expressions.
            Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage
            Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

I choose to medicate my son (a very hard choice). He is on Clonidine. Not a lot of difference. He is mostly though being treated for his co-morbid conditions. Its not an easy decision that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamamack
                Its not an easy decision that's for sure.
                For the benefit of other parents dealing with making these choices, would you elaborate on what makes the decision to medicate one's child difficult to make, and what are the issues that enter into that decision?
                Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage

Comment

We struggled with putting my son on meds for about a year. A 6 yr old going on these kinds of harsh medications. I worried about his overall health, his liver, kidneys and never mind what long term effects they may have. I then realized I was doing him more harm then good. The quality of his life was really far from what it should be. He was a little 6 yr old boy who was a danger to others, but more importantly a danger to himself. (more of his co-morbid disorders). In order to function he needed something to help him, more than what I could give him. Yes sometimes I sometimes second guess myself, but long term if hes not on medications now, what kind of life can he have long term. There is depression, self harm, suicide. I don't even wanna think of what could happen. Russley Barkley once said that we wouldn't keep medication from a diabetic, so why would we keep medication from a child with ADHD? I hope this is what you were looking for?!

Comment

Although my son is on medication i hate it. He just started taking it as school started.

Comment

How old is your son? May I ask what he is medicated for?

Comment

Originally posted by jenjoshstars View Post
                        my son is on medication i hate it.
                        Why do you hate the idea..is your son experiencing difficulty with the medication or are the intended symptoms controlled?

I would also echo Mamamack's question:

Originally posted by Mamamack
                        How old is your son? May I ask what he is medicated for?
                        Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage

Comment

My two cents: Medication saved me from a life of misery and isolation. It changed everything for me. Almost literally.
                          Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
                          http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

Comment

It took many years to find a "workable" medication. After a year and a half of being on this med, he felt like he was getting some short-term memory loss. So.. We tried "weaning" him down to see what would happen and after just one week his tics increased tremendously! So we are back to upping the dose. I say if the kid is functioning/using coping mechanisms to function and is not miserable, let him be! We started trying to help our son and made things worse! One medication we tried to help him with his anxiety actually CAUSED him to have COPROLALIA - we had to switch him to a different medication for it to stop. It's never reoccurred! PTL... If your kid is miserable then DEFINATELY TRY A MEDICATION. But don't expect the first one to be the one that works. You may have to try more than one and that process is NOT FUN!

Comment

Hey Every one, I am not sure how much I can add to this thread. But here is my experience.

I actually started reading this thread when I was in the process of trying to decide and I was very against medicating my son especially with an antipsychotic. In fact the thought of it brought me to tears. I remember sitting in the doctors office when he was diagnosed with TS+ and the doctor started talking about Risperidone and other medications. All I wanted to do was cry, the only thing I could remember about the medications from school was how potent they are. And then out of the blue my son who had just turned 8 at the time looked at the doctor and told her “Lets try it” I was speechless. My son had been begging for help for 5 months and while we had gotten him into a psychologist very soon after he asked it took longer to jump through the hoops to get him into a Doctor for diagnosis even though they had been tossing it around for years. How do you tell your son no you can’t try the medication that may help you when they look you in the eye and ask? So with lots of reservations I agreed to meds. Risperidone was first and was not a good drug for him. He slept even less and couldn’t finish a sentence. Cognitive dulling I believe they called it. I was ready to stop med right there but then his new doctor wanted to try Intuniv, he said that he had gotten better results. I figured I would give it one more try knowing that medication is just hit and miss.

I am glad I did. For him Intuniv is working. His focus is a bit more under control and had allowed him to learn skills to rein in his focus, his anxiety decreased and with it some of his OC tendencies disappeared. His tic’s still wax and wane but are much less severe. If you ask him if he likes the meds and if they are helping (and I know because his doctor did ask him) he will tell you yes.

It is still a hard decision and even now I still have family friends that ask why I would medicate him and that “he seems fine so maybe you should take him off”. He will come off when we feel he is ready and bottom line he asked for it, in his case not trying would have been worse.

Every child is different and some don’t need medication. My advice to other parent who were like me, if they are old enough talk to your child. Sometime it make the decision easier.

Comment

Hi Carly:

My son's psychiatrist has suggested we try Intuniv. He is currently taking Clonidine for his tics. We have tried biphentin in the past but he didn't like the way it made him feel and he had major meltdowns when it wore off. The addition of Intuniv is to help with ADHD symptoms (impulsivity, hyperactivity and focus). How long did your son stay on Intuniv and was it helpful. I have noticed an increase in my son's vocal tic when we started the Intuniv ( he was only on it for 2 days) I stopped it for a few days to see if the vocal tics goes away. I will start it again in a few days.

I would appreciate any info that you have.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X