Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

Tourette Children 'given asbos'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourette Children 'given asbos'

In Britain there are concerns that bureaucracy has overstepped the intention of legislation and some children with Tourette Syndrome are treated by the law as criminal juveniles.

A childrens' advocacy group claims that increasingly these are the very children who are being hauled before the courts and given Asbos, or anti-social behaviour orders.

The British Institute for Brain Injured Children (Bibic) claims more than 15 examples of children with Asperger's, Tourette Syndrome and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) were given so-called Asbos.

Read the whole story on the BBC website and let us know if your experience where you live reflects an overzealous bureaucracy.
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
    If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
    Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

This is such a shame.. especially in a day and age where we're supposed to be so much more enlightened. I don't know about children here where I live, but adults with mental disorders are commonly going through the court system instead of recieving help.

Comment

Haejinn,

With regard to injustices toward people with psychiatric illness, the problem is often that authorities do not always recognize the behaviour as requiring special attention.

There is often a concern about people with Tourette responding to a law enforcement officer with colprolalia or a rage reaction.

Are law enforcement people ever given training in recognizing disorders for what they are rather than threatening behaviour?
      Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
      If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
      Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Most police training now includes information on mental illnesses and neurological disorders. The type of training differs from department to department, however, from discussions I have had with several police officers I know, it seems that awareness of having to deal with 'differences' is increasing.
        Cathy
        Forum Moderator

Comment

With regard to injustices toward people with psychiatric illness, the problem is often that authorities do not always recognize the behaviour as requiring special attention.
          I dunno.. it seems that every few months, there's an article in our paper of someone or someone's family who is literally BEGGING for help, and may even have a diagnosis, but can't seem to get the help they need.

Comment

Working...
          X