Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

When your child says “I hate my life”

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When your child says “I hate my life”

Many parents have written the Forum saying their child “hates” life.
    It’s hard to adjust to a diagnosis of Tourette Syndrome and all its associated disorders.

This article was posted on the ADDitude site.
    I think it provides a road map to help you answer to why your child is saying these things and provides some questions and steps to help you make your child’s life a bit better.
    I’ve posted the beginning of the article here. Click here to read the rest.

How to Boost Your Child's Self-Esteem: ADHD Parenting Advice
    Many kids with ADHD and learning disabilities also struggle with poor self-esteem. Here's how parents can help.
    by Larry Silver, M.D.

When children feel good about themselves, everything goes a little easier for them and their parents. But poor self-esteem is a big problem for ADHD children — and an even bigger problem for the 50 percent or so of ADHD children who also have learning difficulties.

To feel good about themselves, children need two things: the sense that they’re successful, both socially and academically, and unconditional love from their parents. If either ingredient is missing, a child will have a hard time developing a sense of self-esteem.

A child might reveal his unhappiness by saying, “I hate my life” or “No one likes me” or “I’m just dumb.”

Does your child say or do things that suggest that he feels he isn’t “good enough” or is unworthy of love? Do her words or behavior suggest that she feels like a failure at school? That her peers aren’t especially fond of her, or that she is otherwise unsuccessful socially?

Negative reactions?
    Think back over the past few weeks. Were there times when you or your spouse felt so frustrated by your child’s behavior that you yelled at him or said things that you later regretted? Were there times when you or your spouse tried to avoid your child?

If so, sit down with your spouse and discuss why the two of you are having trouble being calm and affectionate. If it is because of your child’s hyperactivity, inattention, or impulsive behaviors, is his ADHD being properly treated?

If it is her poor performance at school and battles around homework, might she have undiagnosed learning difficulties? If your child’s ADHD behaviors are triggering negative reactions from you, other family members, or other children, it’s essential that you consider the impact this has on his self-esteem.
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership
Working...
X