Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

Dealing With My Son's School

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing With My Son's School

Things were going great over the summer for my son. Then BAM back in school again. Four days back in school, I get a call from the principal of his school. Come and get him, he's disruptiing his class.....so off I go to pick him up. When I get there he (the principal) tells me that there is a staff meeting after school and will discuss my son. Phone rings at suppertime........it's the principal.......we brought up your sons name at the meeting the we decided for you to pick up your at lunch time and bring him home, BUT we also need him here to get him ready for grade 7.
    Sometime this week we will schedule a meeting, to discuss things like what kind of meds he is on......who is his doctor......when was his drugs last change etc. I said fine, that's not a problem.

I can't remember what happened 2 days ago, and they expect me to remember when he had his drugs changed. Oh boy, this is gonna be another interesting yr for him and me I think! Think I will just give them permission to phone the child's doctor and get all the information from him.
    :?

oops that's one big cookie...... :D

Comment

Hi Cookie:

I strongly suggest that you DON'T give the school permission to call the doctor. That gives them the ability to ask pretty much what they want and to interpret what the doctor says without you being involved.

It sounds like you need to get some help advocating for your son. The school needs to be providing the services that your son requires in school. You may need to push back and ask what the school is going to provide if they send him home half way through the day.

Also, as I understand it, the school does not have any right to dictate that your son be on medications, or to oversee his medications (as in asking when changes were made, etc.)

Has your son been seen by a psychologist who can give you a hand in determining his requirements? If not, has the school offered a school psychologist or any other services that your son may need to help him?

Some behaviours stem from frustration -- either because of the symptoms of TS, OCD ADHD, or learning disabilties or a whole host of other things -- other than willfully misbehaving. Does the school understand this?

I strongly urge you to get in touch with the TSFC National office 1-800-361-3120 and talk to them. Also, check if there is someone in the area who does in-servicing who can help educate the school.

Also, get a copy of Exceptional Children, Ordinary Schools by Norm Foreman. It is a Canadian book on advocating to get what you need for your child in the school system. It gives you the basics of advocating for your child, including understanding what should be provided for your child, the identification process if your child has special needs, the individual education plan, etc. It also covers meetings such as the one you have coming up -- how to prepare, how to get the outcomes you need, etc.

I wish you the best of luck. Please let us know how it is going.
      Cathy
      Forum Moderator

Comment

It was the school psychologist who suggested the half day to begin with. Where do I find a copy of the book? I will do some searching around to find out if there is in-serving in our area. Anything would be a great help at this stage, for I am seriously considering pulling him out of the school system and do home schooling for him. I didn't realize how the teachers and principals of the schools tagged a child so bad just for having something wrong with them. It's getting really frustrating, feels like they are gaining up on us. I will keep you posted on the out come of the meeting.

Comment

You should be able to get Foreman's book either through your local bookstore, or from the Chapter's website. Your local library may have it as well.

If there isn't someone in your area who can do an in-service, see if you can get the school to purchase the Educator's Resource Kit (or buy it yourself and lend/give it to the school).

Hang in there!
          Cathy
          Forum Moderator

Comment

It was the school psychologist who suggested the half day to begin with.
            I would not assume that the psychologist understands TS and its associated disorders. You may find that he/she does, and is suggesting a half day until some strategies get put into place and your son can come for the full day. However, if he/she does not seem to get it, you will need to provide more information about your child's TS, etc. and push for better accommodations.

Again -- good luck with the process. Let us know if we can answer questions or provide some other strategies as you work through this.
            Cathy
            Forum Moderator

Comment

Thanks.......a friend found me the book on a book site. I contacted them to see if they had it in stock......I'm ordering it next week

Comment

Hi, I would like to talk to Cookie. I think our son' s share alot in common and our schools too unfortunately!
                ldavies3@telus.net

Comment

Lisa,

Welcome to the TSFC Forum!

What are the common factors that you are experiencing with your son...and your local school system?

Try dropping Cookie a Private Message if you wish to make personal contact.

However, by discussing the challenges that you are facing in open forum, all forum members can benefit from the discussion.
                  Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
                  If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
                  Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Hi Lisa.D

Welcome to the forum.

We have private messaging available on the forum. You can send a message directly to any other member by clicking on the PM button. You can find the button either on the bottom line of a message from the member you want to contact, or in their profile.
                    Cathy
                    Forum Moderator

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for helping me out. We live in a small town an hour outside Edmonton Alberta. The school pressured me into getting my son assessed and we were first told he had ADHD.That was in grade one, he's now in grade four.
                      We have now been told he has tourettes plus,ODD and impulsive defecit disorder. We are trying to work with the school but it's like banging our heads on a wall day after day!
                      Ryan does quite well in school and finishes all his work and has alot of interest in history and science. There are no complaints there.
                      Every day at recess and lunch(with the same boys) there is fighting and swearing. He cries alot and says they never listen to him. The pricipal often says two boys had the same story so he tends to believe them rather than Ryan.There is hardly any supervision and he truly is getting provoked at times as these kids know him and how to get him going. I'm trying to get an aide during these outings but no luck yet! I'm tired of hearing this day after day. I wish I could be there for all his breaks but I can't.
                      Any advice from anyone would be great!
                      I feel very alone here as were from Ontario and have only one year left and we will be transfered out. None the less, a year for Ryan and our family is very long!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Lisa,

There is a TSFC Chapter in Edmonton. Click Here for details

You may also find the TSFC Educator's Resource Kit, shown on the TSFC Homepage, useful to help inform the teachers and principal about Tourette Syndrome.

Do you feel the principal would be willing to learn about Tourette Syndrome and how it affects your son's behaviour?
                        Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
                        If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
                        Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Hi Lisa
                          I went thru exactly same thing your going thru, so I know how you feel. My son was in grade 1 when they pressured me to put him on ritalin. I fought the school system for 2 yrs. Then one day I got a phone call from the school to set up a meeting, so i agreed just to find out what was going on. When I got there there were ppl from social services. One of the teachers had reported me for abusing my child because I refused to put him on ritalin. It wasn't until grade 3 he got really bad with ADD/ADHD that I decided to give it a try.

Two years ago my son was diagnosed with having TS. I didn't have the first clue as to what it was cause there is no history of it in my family or his father's side. One of my chat pals told me what his son was doing cause he had it too. So a few weeks later we were to go back for his monthly check up, and I told his doctor that I thought maybe he had TS. As the doctor was talking to me, he was also watching my son without him knowing it. He was sniffing alot, and his chest muscles would tense so bad they would quiver. It wasn't until recently he was put on risperdone to help control his rage attacks. It is working great for him.

What the problem with his teachers now, they are saying he mumbles in the class and it's disrupting the rest of the class. I think maybe the teacher should tell the other students in his class what is wrong with my son and maybe it would not bother them as much.

I know before I found out what was wrong , I found it very annoying, but over time you can block out the sniffing and mumbling sounds so it doesn't bother me that much anymore.

Each day is a challenge when you have TS. What you do today for tics , may not be the case the next day. Or somedays you may not tic at all. I know for my son if he gets upset or nervous the tics are very obvious. I tell my son , we take one day at a time and see what happens. That's all we can do. It's very hard to see a child go thru this and it's also hard to explain to him what's going on inside of him also, especially if you have never been around someone with TS. Mostly what I learned about TS I read from this site and the ppl are very supportive. I also suggest buy the books they have on here too....very informative......I offered today to loan his teacher the books I have to read up on it, but he didn't say anything, he just hung his head.....

I also learned we as parents are not alone.

Comment

You may also find the TSFC Educator's Resource Kit, shown on the TSFC Homepage, useful to help inform the teachers and principal about Tourette Syndrome.
                            I believe the TSFC Edmonton chapter completed a project a year or two ago to put the handbook Understanding Tourette Syndrome: A Handbook for Educators into all the schools in Edmonton and Northern Alberta. There is a good chance that your school has a copy of the handbook. It may be on a shelf somewhere.
                            Cathy
                            Forum Moderator

Comment

Good morning guys, thanks for thr reply. I have the handbook, the video and just about everything you can print off the internet in a pkg. for the school. I also have a paper from the doctor(head of the childrens hos.inEdmonton )requesting a full time aide for Ryan.
                              They basically have said that won't happen because of the budget at the school. They have also said they see no need to change the discipline stratagies as they should still apply to him.
                              This morning he cried for 20 minutes saying he was sick and couldn't go to school. He spins his wrist around and around when he's stressed and also shakes his jaw from side to side. He did this alot this morning and it breaks my heart to see him like this !
                              I've offered all of these things to the school and they show no interest in any of it. My husband and I are taking it all to them at the beginning of the week and telling them we need help on their half.
                              My husband is RCMP and we will be gone next year. We are trying to get a compassionate posting to a bigger area. I have researched a few areas and hospitals. The IWK runs a good program(in hospital days only)and another in St.Catherines Ont.
                              We left him at the hosp. here for a 3 week assessment back in March and it just about broke our family apart. They had then wanted him to go back for 3 months and we said NO!(I'm praying I did the right thing).
                              Ryan has a brother who is 5 and was very upset when he was gone. He did not understand and asked us if he was "BAD" would we send him away too?
                              Every night I put my two boys to bed and read them a story and I feel I made the right choice. A mother needs her children with her when their young. Not a 100 clicks away crying and begging to come home!
                              I'm so glad I found this site!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X