Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

Son being teased

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son being teased

Hi, I am new to chat rooms so i don't know etiquette. My son has tics/tourettes and the kids at school are always asking him why he does this or that and are begining to tease him. this is breaking my heart. He has always had low self esteem but now I am afraid he is going to plummet. We started him on prozac a month ago for help with his anxiety. An edge has been taken off a little but his tics are getting worse. His docter wants to put him on Tenex. I don;t know any one who has this or has tried this medication. Two years ago when he first developed tics his neurologist had him tested for high levels of strep and pprescribed antibiotics. It was like a miracle-his tics stopped within a few days and didn't really come back until 6 months ago. Does anyone have any advice or just siupport on how to empower my son and me -I am so sad for him.
    Julie

Son being teased

Hi -- welcome to the bulletin board.

I have a couple of suggestions for you. Kids will tease when they do not understand why someone is acting "different". The kids in your son's class need to learn about TS and why your son makes sounds or has motor tics. Once they understand they are much more accepting of the tics.

The TSFC offers in-services to educate teachers and students about TS. You can check with a chapter in your area or call the head office to see if there is an in-service provider in your area.

If your son is old enough, he can advocate for himself. Your son may need to learn to give himself permission to tic. If he is constantly trying to hide or suppress his tics, his self-esteem is going to suffer. In addition, he is going to use up all sorts of energy trying to stop the tics and may have a difficult time paying attention to what is happening in the class. This can translate into having difficulty in class, feeling dumb, and more problems with self-esteem.

If you have not already done so, talk to your son's teacher about his tics. See if there is a safe place he can go in the school when he feels the need to release alot of tics or energy.

Also, check out some of the strategies in Understanding Tourette Syndrome: A Handbook for Educators.

If you have an affiliate/chapter in your area see if you can get involved and have your son meet other kids, teens, and adults with TS. This was a great help for my son and it made him much more comfortable with himself.

I hope things improve for your son.

[/i]

Comment

Son being teased

I agree with cotw. If your school is cooperative an inservice would be very helpful. My son who is 10 was teased constantly from grade one to three. When he was diagnosed in grade three we thought all of that would be behind us but his school at the time was not willing to cooperate with us. They were unwilling to educate the kids in his class and continually modelled there own intolerance for his tics by berating him or sending him out of the class when they occurred. They even went as far as saying they had no control over the other kids and could not (would not) intervene when my son was being teased. We switched schools in grade four (he is now in grade five) and have had mostly good experiences since doing so. We chose a school that has a large population of special needs kids who are all integrated into the regular classroom. They provided my son with an aide (his old school chose not to even though they received the same amount of additional funding for him as his new school does). When he first started at his new school in the beginning the kids started to tease. Within the first week my husband went to his class and made a presentation about TS and all of that changed. The kids have since been very understanding and even went as far as to protect him whenever there was a subsitute by educating the sub if they made any comments to my son about his tics or other behaviours. Kids will be kids though and on occaision he is the subject of teasing however when brought to the schools attention it is swiftly dealt with as they will not tolerate teasing of any kind at his new school, probably because of the large number of kids who are "special" at the school. My son's school is very unique and we were very lucky to find it. Since then my son feels accepted and very much wanted for who he is. He has friends and looks forward to school each day.

Comment

Re: Son being teased

Hi Julie,
        I am trying to get role models for my son of people that have achieved careers who have tourette. They can understand what the children are going through and maybe help you with how to discuss it with him as well. I encourage my son in everyway possible and find things that he excels in or loves to do (swimming, badminton, video games and such). With swimming, for example, you get badges for every level you accomplish. I hope that is some help.
        Amelia

Comment

Re: Son being teased

not sure if this is still relevant since the post was made 4 years ago but as most people know Im no parent but I do know what its like to be a kid with tourettes in elementary school and it can be hard. although it does get easier when you get into high school I find my problem is I have a bit of a swearing tic and my math teacher doesnt like it when I do that but ya school cooperation is important my mom is moving my sisters to the public school in town because they have better support there for stuff like tourettes compared to the catholic school

Comment

Working...
          X