Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aversion to most foods?

Hi there:

Has anyone had any issues with their kids not wanting to eat? My son is almost 5, and has always been a picky eater. I also used to think that he was just too busy playing to eat, but now it seems like he almost has an aversion to eating. Could this be a symptom of TS?

Thanks,

Sandra

Aversion to most foods?

Sandra:

As always, this is a good question for your Doctor.

In my case, my son has always been picky and seems distracted most of the time so eating is a chore unless he is extremely hungry.

My son has ADHD & TS among other disorders, so it makes since for us.
    Some medications can cause loss of appetite, others cause increased appetite.

If your son is on any medication it would be good to consult your Doctor. He can advise you if it is something to be concerned about.

In our case, I have my son eat 6 small meals a day instead of three large ones. Even with a few snacks in between it seems to help motivate him to increase his intake.
    PJK

Comment

Aversion to most foods?

Hi Sandra

My kids have gone through this. I have two of them who are "very fussy"
      but some of it comes from their sensory issues just like their "issues" with certain clothes items. TS can cause people to have sensory defensiveness. They may be hyper- or hypo-sensitive to textures, smells, sounds, etc. I personally can not eat many things due to sensory defensiveness ex. beans - too mushy; muscles- too slimy; lobster- too smelly and I can go on and on. I have not tried these items of food... I can't get past the visual image or sensation of what it looks, smells or feels like. This is a common symptom of TS plus.

I would talk to your doctor and perhaps you will need a referral for your son to an occupational therapist. An OT can work through a lot of this with him.

Good luck and keep us posted.
      Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Working...
      X