Mild or Severe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mild or Severe

Hi, How many tics is someone is supposed to have in order for them to be classified as having severe TS? Or is it classified according to how much a person's quality of life is affected? Steph

Mild or Severe

Steph:

That is a very good question...

Our Doctor looked for more then one consistently and more then one kind. This means vocal tics and motor tics.

An individual can be considered to have mild TS to severe TS that disrupts their everyday life depending on how many and how severe and consistent the tics are from what I understand.

You will find that over a period of time tics will come and go while others will remain for some with no change other then frequency.

In my son's case he has full blown TS now and is effected my multiple motor tics and the same vocal tics he had as early as age 3 or 4. He also repeats phrases or words and on occasion in public settings will say inappropriate words under his breath. He knows these words are wrong so he manages them by whispering them instead. It is very hard for him and a very good signal for me to remove him from the stress like in a mall setting.

You will also find that depending on how much rest or sleep someone gets can effect the tics. We are the same way; if I don't rest well it is very hard from me to get through my busy day, things bother me more. In my son's case his tolerance to anxiety, stress and other people can become shorter and things that may not really bother us effect him directly.
    PJK

Comment

Mild or Severe

The type of tics plays a part into the determination of how severe the TS is as well as the degree to which a person's life is impacted by their symptoms.

This section called tics overview covers the simple versus complex, etc

In my situation, I grew up with TS and managed through life without knowing why I was like I was... my TS is mild (tics to date have always been simple ones) and the interference of my associated behaviors did not become a big issue until I was an adult and then I had issues in adult relationships (personal and professional) however, for my kids their TS is more severe than mine and their symptoms definitely interfere with the quality of their lives, yet we have met people in our journeys through the TS world since joining the TSFC who have TS even more severe than my boys.
      Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Mild or Severe

PJK

Can I ask you how old your child is now? My son started having tics by the age of 3 years old. He is now 7 and can do 3 different tics. At this time he blinks, looks over his shoulder and hops. I'm wondering if I can expect them to get progressively worse since I always read that they peeks in their early teens. Since your son started as young as mine I was curious how long it took for your child to have full blown TS.

Comment

Mild or Severe

Sandi:

My son's TS evolved from age 3 to now 12 -1/2.

Mostly vocal tics and always one stayed around while others would show up, last for a month or two and then go.

The motor tics existed early too but were mild like wrist twisting and eye rolling or blinking.

He also has sensory issues that effect his daily life.

Unfortunately you can not compare your child with mine because they are all very different. My son has experienced trauma that caused his TS to become full blown to observers.
          Now that he is out of that environment and more settled we see some vocal tics, repeating of words, and more due to anxiety disorder he can say "whisper" inappropriate words in public since he has trouble dealing with large crowds.
          PJK

Comment

Mild or Severe

You are so right about not comparing children. I work with developmentally delayed children so I can relate; however when you just don't know what to expect you want some idea of what to expect, anything at all. I'm still mystified with the fact that my son's symptons have come and gone (except for the tics).

Comment

Mild or Severe

still mystified with the fact that my son's symptoms have come and gone (except for the tics).
              A hallmark of Tourette is that tics wax and wane during the year, season to season and over a lifetime.

Some tics seem to last a lifetime while others subside and new ones emerge.
              Steve
              TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Working...
              X