Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

Any other teens on the forum??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any other teens on the forum??

Hey guys!

I'm 16 years old, and I have TS. I've been on this forum since I found out just recently at the beginning of September, but I've noticed that it's mainly just adults doing all the talking. I know that I personally tend to read the forums but not actually post, and I'm wondering if there are any other teens doing the same thing!

Please post if you're a teen on this forum, or if you're a teen who's just reading the forum and you want to sign on as a guest, or become a member of the forum. I'd really love to have some other teens to talk with on here!

Post and let me know! :D
    Steph
    ~be a miracle~

Well, I'm 22 but I don't think I'm mentally beyond being a teenager. :P

We'll be boosting awareness of these forums at the TSFC National Conference this week in Montreal, so hopefully that will diversify the group here even further.
    Colin

Comment

Steph,

We have to confess we have not succeeded in developing a teen audience on the TSFC Forum so far.

As you well know, most of us a in our v-e-r-y late teens...ir "ties" for that matter (speaking for myself :lol:

We are pleased to see your enthusiasm and articulate manner on the Forum. Perhaps you might care to provide us with input in order that the Forum can be made more appealing to a younger audience.

Looking forward to your feedback!
      Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
      If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
      Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

I don't think that it is so much a problem with the forum as just an advertising fault. I myself did not know that there was a forum until I was searching for information on TS and stumbled across this webpage. Since a lot of teens with TS have known about it for a long time, chances are they won't be researching it and come across the page like me. They might however, still want to talk if they knew about the page.

Hopefully there will be more teens on after the National Conference where they will be publicizing the site, as cailean said. I think that all it takes are a few teens to start some good conversations/discussions, and more teens will want to take part, even if they just stumble across the site like I did.

I personally love the forum, and find all the information other people post interesting and also incredibly helpful, as I am still learning to handle my TS. The support here is awesome, and it feels good to know that other people are going through the same things I am.

Hopefully more teens will join soon!
        Steph
        ~be a miracle~

Comment

Thanks for your support and continued participation. Your insights are helpful in providing a venue for teens who wish to participate.

Feel free to start discussions you think might be of interest to other teens and let us know how we can help.
          Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage
          Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Hi.
            I'm new to this forum. I am also a teen with tourettes since about grade 4. Its not a great thing to have, I must admit. Although its not as bad as it used to be. Mostly just neck jolts and facial tics. I really don't know anyone else with tourettes but I can relate on how hard it can be with these things. There always seems to be that urge to do a tic. But I have learned to try to control it in public and around home as well. It would be good to know others with tourettes to share their experiences with it.
            I'm glad I found this site. Because atleast I'm not alone in this.

Quinn

Comment

Qman:

Welcome to the TSFC forum.

How did you find the site?

There are a number of new members that are teens but have only registered and not posted yet. So the numbers are growing.

You will find a lot of support here.
              PJK

Comment

Hello Quinn,

Welcome to the TSFC Forum and we are glad you found us.

One of the most common frustrations we all experienced when our Tourette first began in ourselves was to think we were the only ones in the world doing these things.

Have you ever been seen by a doctor about your tics and what did you find out at that time? Was it your doctor who gave you the diagnosis of Tourette?

How are your family friends and schoolmates dealing with you in connection to your Tourette?

It's great that you can control or suppress your tics occasionally, which can be helpful in some situations.

When you hold back your tics for a while, do you find you need to release the built up tension of holding them back to "get them out of your system" ?

Feel free to join in any other ongoing discussion on here, and hope you make the TSFC Forum part of your regular online activities.

Nice to meet you!
                Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage

Comment

Hey Steve.

Yeah I have been seen by a doctor in Toronto who my family doctor referd me too. I have been going to see her since about grade 7. She gave me the diagnosis of having tourettes. My mom had wondered from the start but wasn't sure. My family and friends have been really supportive. Only my dad says sometimes when i do a big jolts to quick it, which i really can't. I guess because i sort of jiggle the table while he is reading the newspaper. And my boss at work only really had one negative affect at the start when he asked if i had any health problems and i told him i had tourettes and he asked if it would scare away customers. That too me was not very pleasing. I only really tell people that i have it if they ask about it. But all seem alright with it. And my two best friends have always never cared that i did them and look past that.
                  Holding back my ticks does work for a while but it does have to get out. Like after a days work or school i come home a let them go. Although my medication was bumped down a little and they have increased more so they are more often and not in my control. I have started meditation to help calm them so i am in a total state of relaxation so that I do non at all. This I fid really helps for a while. Sort of helps built my mind control to ignore the urge to the do the tics and concentrate other things.
                  Sometimes it feels as i'm fighting for domination. I know that sounds weird but at times it feels that way.

I look forward to talking more on this forum. All for now,

Quinn

Comment

Quinn!

Thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds like you have great support from your family and friends. Good for you!

Sometimes it feels as i'm fighting for domination
                    This is quite common among people with Tourette, because you are essentially battling with your body for control! Don't you find that the battle rages less when you are relaxed and involved in an activity you enjoy?

Glad you have joined the Forum and we look forward to your continuing participation.

Regards,
                    Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage

Comment

Hey Quinn!

My name's Steph and I am a fellow teen with TS. I totally agree with the fighting for domination comment! It totally feels like I am fighting for control over my body in a battle I can't win...I feel so out of control sometimes. Anyways though I'm glad you're on the site! It's great to have as many teens on her as we can to help each other with problems even if its just talking about it, I find that tends to help a lot.

Keep Posting!
                      Steph
                      ~be a miracle~

Comment

Hey Steph

How has tourettes been for you? How long have you had them? What are your ways of controling them? Myself I find meditation does help, and hoping to start Tai chi or yoga soon. I just thought I would ask because it is interesting to know what other people go through with tourettes and share their experiences.

Quinn

Comment

Quinn:

It is great you are on this forum. You will find a lot of support and people that really care.

It bothers me that you boss asked you such questions, that is not fair and by the way not legal either. People should be more aware of the way they treat people when interviewing.
                          I hope it is a good place to work and you are happy.

It is good to hear you have support from your family and friends. This is very important to anyone.

Look forward to you continuing to join in on the forum and yes, it does help to just talk about it.
                          PJK

Comment

Quinn

I found out I had tourettes just this past September, but have had it since I was young and we had guessed I might have it for awhile before then. Before I knew I had TS it wasn't so bad, but then it got so bad that it was actually affecting my basketball play (I had a bad breathing tic and wouldn't be able to catch my breath after running barely at all) that we had to find out for sure. Ever since I found out, I find that my TS is worse. It might just be because I am more intune to it, or because it is getting worse, or possibly because when you focus on tics they worsen. In any manner, TS hasnt been so great for me lately but I am learning to deal. One way is that I have started an ab-clenching action everytime I feel the urge to tic. It doesn't take care of the urge, but it helps me put the tic off easier because I am concentrating on something else (and it can't be too bad for the abs either! )

I have heard that yoga etc. is good for TS, but unfortunately I am super busy with all my sports and school that I really don't have time to do any of those activities. Do you have methods that you use to suppress your tics in public? Since I am new to this whole tourettes thing I am looking for all the advice I can get!
                            Steph
                            ~be a miracle~

Comment

I gotta tell you guys, I don't get to make this statistic come out funny often enough, but here goes:

According to Dr. Russell Barckley, who is an awesome Doctor in the ADHD / Learning Disabilities arena (according to him - hmm), people with ADHD (and that now includes OCD and TS - genetically at least) develop their maturity, on average, at 2/3 (two thirds) the rate of the so-called 'normal' people.

I have been to a Dr. Barckley lecture, and he IS really smart, and has amazing insights into ADHD and how we use our brains to interact socially (which is important for teens, of course). For those of you NOT on the math team <blush> that means that ON AVERAGE someone with TS+ hits the maturity of an 18 year old at age 27.

I know, I threw a temper tantrum when I heard this, too. However, since I was 22 years old at the time, I sort of proved him right. (Um, for those of you who are wondering, temper tantrums are supposed to go away sometime in your early teens...)

Social cognition is really, really complicated, and Barckley is talking about average age of functioning across a wide variety of skills. So don't panic. But remember, there is a VERY good reason why ADHD and TS+ folks have worse driving records on average until the age of about 24. Hmmm.

Okay, so why the dissertation? Well, this means that, in a technical sense, our teenage population is age 12-27.5! Woo hoo! There are more of you guys then you thought! Congratulations.

ps: on my web site (link below) I published three articles (more are coming) on the post-high-school experience for Touretters. Yes, there is a lot missing for Touretters who are not in grade school any more. But, you guys are lucky - I did not even HEAR about Tourette's until I was 22. Biologically.
                              Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
                              http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

Comment

Working...
                              X