Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member looking for support.

Hi Everyone,

I am not new to Tourettes, just new to TSFC. My son Ben was diagnosed with Tourettes 3 years ago. He is 13 yrs old now. Just recently after attending a Leaky Breaks 101 Session. I have discovered that he not only has TS but there also seems to be signs of ADHD and OCD.
    I am not one to ask for help, but some days are just so overwhelming and even though I have a wonderful common law partner and 2 other son's ( older) It seems that Ben and I struggle with this alone. I guess I'm just looking for someone to talk to who really understands the way Ben and I feel.

New Member looking for support.

Denise:

Welcome to the TSFC forum. You will find a lot of common concerns here and much needed support.

It is common for some family members to pull away and even go through some denial at first. Education is the key and having a child with TS+ can be rewarding and challenging at the same time.

The fact is you and your son Ben are not alone in this together. Pulling some information from this site and visiting us often will help.

Hopefully with your support he does not feel alienated at home since that should be the safes place for him to relax and feel free to tic.

How does Ben handle the TS? Did he understand the diagnosis and does he recognize the tics?

He is old enough for you to allow him his on account here on the forum but at first you may want to screen some posts that relate to him and let him read them like I did for my own son.

I hope you frequent often and access your local chapter. Most chapters have evenings out were kids can get together and parents can talk.

Our search engine works well for targeting topics of interest. Try using it and join in. If you need assistance just let a moderator know. We will be glad to assist you.
    PJK

Comment

Hello Denise and welcome to the TSFC Forum.

Learning about a diagnosis of Tourette in your family sometimes makes one feel isolated and overwhelmed.

Information and understanding usually help alleviate the sense of isolation, as does sharing your experience with local support.

London Ontario has a Chapter of TSFC Here is their website

Have you had an opportunity to make contact with the London Chapter?

Feel free to ask all your questions here, and join in any ongoing discussion on the Forum.

Leaky Breaks 101 Session
      I am not familiar with this...what is it?
      Steve
      TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Hi Denise,

You and your son have support here with us!

Please tell us more about Leaky Breaks 101.

My son who is 9 years old has TS, ADHD, and some signs of OCD.

I understand your frustration at times and the dizzying pace of life with a child with these disorders.

On the TSFC there are articles which include the Nine Faces of the TS Parent and you can find it Here .

We are always here to listen and help in anyway we can.

Keep us posted.

Comment

Hi Denise

My kids and I have TS with ADHD and OCD plus and when we were at the Montreal TSFC conference in October the older kids and adults were given a presentation on Leaky Breaks by Dr. Duncan McKinlay... was he the presenter for your session?

this is the best place to visit and vent... we try to be available 24/7 so that we can chat or listen ... whatever you need at the time. There are many, many great people on line with us who have walked in a version of your shoes and can share their strategies .. feel free to stop by here any time.
          Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Hi Again everyone,

Leaky Breaks 101 is a 6 week session that is run by CPRI ( Child and Parent Resource Institute) and hosted by Dr Duncan McKinley ( Dr Dunc, also has Tourettes) The sessions inclued speakers from Psychiatrists to School board Liasons to Support Workers, and gave the participants information and stratagies on how to deal with a lot of the issues that Kids, Parents, and Teachers have to deal with who have TS+ in their lives. There is also a program ( with a very lengthy waiting list, I'm going on 1.5 yrs waiting) ( only a couple more months to go ) to get Ben into a Program called "The Brake Shop" where he can receive counseling learn coping startagies and meet other kids with Tourettes, and hopefully complete a psychological assessment so that he too can be IEP'd . I have recently sent in my application to the London Chapter of TSFC. Can't wait to hear back. As for Ben he understands the diagnoses. Does he accept it? Thats I'm not sure. He does not like letting people know, or talking about it. He would rather conceal it, which we all know is so much worse. I'm hoping once we get into the Break Shop he will learn the stratagies needed to feel good about himself despite the Tourettes. Thanks for all your continued suppot everyone.

Talk again soon

Comment

This is great...I would love for it to be available here too. I'm sure after 6 weeks, Ben will have such a better understanding of all the sides of TS and that will certainly help hin accept and internalise his symptoms.

Keep us posted I would love to here how it all plays out.
              Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Hi Denise,

Welcome to the forum. glad to have you. I have just recently joined as well and have been immensely blessed by the support and wealth of information presented by all involved. In regards to your last post about the program you are waiting to get into"The Brake Shop". Do you(or anyone reading this) know if there is anything of that sort in the Barrie or Greater Toronto area?

Thanks,

Comment

Hi there

Here is Duncan's website called lifesatwitch and it may have a schedule of events he is offering. Let me know if this helped.
                  Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Hey!

Hi There,

I am 19 years old and have just recently looked into this website and joined the forum. I was diagnosed with TS about 5 or 6 years ago I believe (my mom would know for sure ) When I first learned about it and was told at age 13 or 14 that I had a "syndrome", I was extremely embarassed. I did not tell anyone and got upset at my mom whenever she would mention it. My mom started researching it and become a member of TSFC to support and learn about TS. She has attended some of the Parent Meetings as well. She used to try to take me but I was much to embarassed.

I am learning to accept my TS and am now looking into forms of support such as this forum. I am still somewhat uneasy about it at times but my mom is a great motivator.

I just wanted to reply to you Denise and let you know that my mom and I went through and are still going through sometimes the same things as you are. It was always just us until other family members started to understand. You can tell your 13 year old that I felt like no one understood in my family because they were not going through it like me. But then I discovered other people who did understand and started to feel more comfortable with the fact that I have TS. Your family may not be going through exactly what you are but if you help them understand it they will become your strongest support group.

I wish you all the best.

Jacqueline

Comment

Hi Jacqueline,

Welcome to the TSFC website, we are happy that you found us.

There is Tourette Syndrome support groups all across Canada and Here is a listing for a support group in your community.

I am sorry that you were embarrassed to have TS and now that you are learning about TS hopefully you are starting to feel better.

We have many discussions on various tics throughout the body in the tic parade. We also have a section for teens that you might want to check out. Please jump into any discussion that you want or start a new one.

You are not alone and we are always here to talk to and give support to you and your family.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Hello Jacqueline!

Welcome to the TSFC Forum! We're glad you found us and hope we can help you find ways to deal with the many issues you might be facing in dealing with the embarrassment.

Many of our Forum members are adults wh o were diagnosed at various stages in their lives..some at a younger age while others were diagnosed late in life.

Each scenario brings along a different set of challenges, but the strategies for dealing with these challenges are often similar.

I would invite you to join in some of the ongoing discussions on the Forum or start some of your own to help explore ways to deal with your own situation.

Looking forward to your participation in the Forum
                        Steve
                        TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Thanks for the response Jacquline,

It's been a few weeks since I last poted here. Not a lot has changed. Ben is finishing up school this week and soooo looking forward to it. It's been a rough year. Good new is , We are finally getting in to see Dr McKinley next month. I really hope his sessions with Ben help him over the summer months so his final year in Elementary school can be an enjoyable one. I've mentioned to him that he should try these forums as well.. he stil seems reluctant. Hopefully soon. He really need more support than just me.
                          Thanks for all your continues support.

Comment

Hi Denise,

Its good to see you!

I am happy for Ben to start summer vacation because I am sure that he could use the break.

Let us know how Dr. McKinley's workshops and sessions help Ben. Leaning coping skills is vital at any age in order to help cope with the stresses of life.

We are always here to support you and your family and we look forward to your participation.

Comment

Working...
                            X