Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New, yet a tad nervous

Hello,

My son turned 13 in April and is finishing Grade 7. He has been a behaviour-challenged child since he was about 3. We have been involved in Kinark Family Services, and done *all* the courses they recommended. He comes from a stable family life and has a younger 11 year old brother, yet in spite of our routines and consistancies, I seem to be going round and round with him.

He has been suspended from the school bus often, and has been given countless in-school detentions for his outburts and anger issues. He will not be going on his 3-day year end trip because the teacher didn't want him there without a parent. We were willing to go with him, yet 2 days after being told he had one final chance with us, he was suspended from the bus (again) for fighting with another student. So, no trip.

I took him in to our family doctor at the beginning of May because of this head-shaking thing that he has developed. The GP sent us to a pediatrician. The pediatician spent quite a bit of time with us, asked all kinds of questions that sort of surprised me, and did a through exam of my son. At the end of it all, he said that he felt TS was possible, but he wants to send son to Sick Kids to the Tourette Team there for a confirmation. He said that there is some form of medication that may be able help with the anger rages, and that can all be part and parcel with TS.

I am so confused. I've done a fair bit of reading on this since then (obviously) but all of my reading has indicated that there IS no medication for TS. Why would a pediatrician say there is? Did I miss something in my reading, or could it be that the medication he referred to is for the anger-control?

I've had teachers in the past ask about ADHD for my son, but I've had 2 pediatricians say they didn't feel my son has ADHD. (Younger son does, however). This son has organizational problems, anger issues, handwriting issues, and now this new tic (for lack of a better word)

I'm not afraid of the dx - that is fine, if that is what he has. What concerns me most is learning about TS, how to educate my school, and how to help him. With TS, would IEP be necessary? Or is each case different? Some advice would be appreciated.

Sorry I'm long winded.

Be well,
    Jori

PS - Cherry - I live about half an hour away from you!

New, yet a tad nervous

Hi Lupie Jori,

Welcome to the TSFC website, we are happy that you found us.

There is Tourette Syndrome support groups all across Canada for support resources in your community and click Here for the address .

Now that you have a possible diagnosis, how has your family been coping? It wonderful that your doctors have been making sure that they get the diagnosis right.

There are articles about TS talking about handwriting issues, rage attacks, and the Nine Faces of the TS Parent. They are informative and helpful and can be found Here .

You are already helping your son by bringing him to the right doctors and learning about his diagnosis. A loving and accepting attitude at home will relieve his stress level therefore, providing him a safe place to be himself.

We have many discussions on various tics throughout the body in the tic parade. Please jump into any discussion that you want or start a new one.

You are not alone and we are always here to talk to and give support to you and your family.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Comment

New, yet a tad nervous

Jori,

Welcome to the TSFC Forum! We're glad you found us and we'll be pleased to talk about your 13 year old son's possible Tourette diagnosis.

It sounds like you have a good medical team looking after your son.

my reading has indicated that there IS no medication for TS. Why would a pediatrician say there is?
      Good question, Jori. While there is no medication specific for Tourette as a global treatment, physicians have found a variety of medications which, although indicated for other conditions, do have therapeutic benefit in relieving some of the manifestations of Tourette.

As you may know, it's not unusual for physicians to prescribe "off label" as it is referred to, because this practice is usually based on pretty strong evidence of efficacy.

Reducing tics is usually more difficult than treating the co-morbid conditions of Tourette such as OCD, ADHD and rage reactions.

With regard to rage reactions, some people have found behavioral modification therapy to be an effective solution, though medications might be used as an adjunctive therapy.

When your son is seen at Sick Kids by the Tourette Team, you may wish to consider a consultation with pediatric psychiatry to investigate his behavioral issues.

With TS, would IEP be necessary?
      I am not familiar with the meaning of IEP, Jori. Would you elaborate please?

Hope you find the Forum helpful.
      Steve
      TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

New, yet a tad nervous

Hi Jori

With TS, would IEP be necessary
        in NL we referr to the IEP as an ISSP (individual student support plan) and it is usually necessary because although many of our children who have TS don't have learning disabilities, they mostly have learning difficulties... there are many, many supports that can be put in place for these students. You sound as though you are familiar with this area so you are right... each case will differ because TS is a syndrome and it presents differently in everyone. Many kids with TS exhibit executive dysfunctioning and that is what causes them to struggle so much with being organized... school system can often provide courses in organization but it would have to be documented on the IEP.

Does that help?
        Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Thank you

Just wanted to post a quick word of thanks for the welcome.

Steve, an IEP is an Individual Education Plan - sorry for the confusion, I thought that was a standard code, but I guess not.

I think it was Stephanie that asked how we, as a family, are coping. To be honest, it hasn't changed anything for us. We just keep plugging along and doing as best we can. I've struggled for years with both boys, so a dx won't really make that much of a difference, really. Maybe help me realize that some of the problems we've had in the past 10 years aren't due to "bad parenting" as I've often worried. Maybe there really is a reason for some stuff...? Time will tell.

I'm glad I found this forum. It should be helpful!

Be well,
          Jori

Comment

Re I.E.P

Hi Lupie Jori,

Nice to hear you are nearby. In regards to the IEP, when I spoke to my daughters grade 7 teacher , she suggested she initiate the IEP(individualized education plan) for Shae and I question her as to why because my daughter is a B-B+ student with no behavioral issues. She has numerous motor and vocal tics which she keeps well under control in school. She said that if the IEP were put in place( but not implemented) it would be available immediately if neccessary, especially since high school is only one year away. She has had other students with TS who have done well in elementary but have had a rather rough time in high school due to changes, stresses and new students, who may not be aware of or used to my daughters tics. This is where the concern for having a plan ready to go comes in. It was a little scary to consider that these new kids were going to be a problem for my daughter teasing or rejecting her. But when I look at it from the teachers point, I understand and appreciate that she is going to get this set up for Shae so it is available for her benefit if necessary.

Cherry

Comment

New, yet a tad nervous

Hi Jori:

Welcome again and I am glad you found us. Don't ever worry about posting to much here, its a good thing to do.

It is obvious you are a very caring mother and I understand the feelings of almost relief you must have felt once understanding "why" your son responds to life the way he does.

I felt the same way, especially since mine was my youngest and I could never put my finger on what was really going on until I was introduced to the right physicians.

I am glad you found us and hope you are able to visit often. This forum certainly helped our family.

Take care
              PJK

Comment

Working...
              X