Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

Hello everyone!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone!

Hi, my name is Adam, I live in a city near minneapolis, MN (in the US) You may wonder why I post on the TSFC forum, and that is I think this forum seems to have a good group of people just trying to figure out this complex yet very unique disorder. Anyways, I was diagnosed with mild tourettes syndrome (although I think its more strong than just a mild case) when I was in I believe 1st or 2nd grade. It was sorta funny cause my pediatrician nevr said anything about TS but my first grade teacher saw me and had a student before who twitched alot that had TS. I have delt with TS and know about it my whole life but it doesnt seem to be easier just because I knew why I teiched or whatever. I got made fun of in school, and I dont even know how many time I used the "its just a happit" or tried to incorperate my tics into my daily routine so people wouldnt stare or be confused. (although it didnt always work) Now, as I enter my 20's, I have noticed changes in my tics but TS is still a major factor in my life. I have come to realize though that it has actually shpaed me to who I am and I think I am more understanding when meeting people with odd or different things than other people. From this, I now say TS isnt a major part of my life, its part of who I am. Anyways thats me, and Im always up for finding out new ideas about TS.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Hello everyone!

Hi again Adam, welcome and thanks for sharing your story. Sadly, many of us have been the object of ridicule by inconsiderate people, particularly in our school years.

If ther's any consolation, it seems kids will make fun of one another if you happen to have blue yeses, and all the others have brown eyes. Kids often don't understand when someone is different, they are no a threat to them.

IAC the experience has nmade you a more compassionate person, the silver lining!

Thanks for your great postings on the TS Forum and I hope you will continue to be a regular contributor and participant in our online community

Have you thought about the type of career you might like to get into?
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
    If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
    Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Hello everyone!

Well, right now I am going to school for architectual drafting but I really think something sales would be best for me. Im just good with that type of work. I could try to incorperate sales and drafting too but right now Im not 100% sure on what exactly I want to do.
      The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Comment

Hello everyone!

Adam,

Sales can be a rewarding and enjoyable career if you feel comfortable meeting all kinds of people. I know several people with TS in sales, some with active and obvious tics while others manage to suppress tics while in public.

I often wonder which is less stressful for the person with TS, the one who suppresses, gets charged up with energy that has to be released at some point, or the one who can just be him/herself in front of people and get the job done.

Would be interesting to hear comments on both sided of the coin.
        Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
        If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
        Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Hello everyone!

Steve,

Yea, Im not sure on who would have less stress. I tend just let the tics go when around people who know what im going through but at other times, I admit I try my best to suppress the tics and of course its always one big burst that comes out later. I think its a different issues between mental stress (or trying to not let people notice you tic) and just the fact that ticing (if thats a word?) is just stressful itself. Many times I find my self talking to my self say "ok, adam, calm down" or other things that make me look like im crazy.

Comment

Working...
          X