Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

New with 7 year old

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New with 7 year old

My son's tourettes is getting a lot worse in recent months. Constant eye blinking, opening/closing jaw, facial movements, neck and shoulder twitching, repeating himself, etc. etc. It's overwhelming. His father also has tourette's so I am aware of it but my son's is so much more obvious, probably as he can't control it at all.
    I am dealing with the school now as they have been discriminating against him due to his tics. The worst is how others perceive him, I don't want them thinking he has mental issues or is crazy, etc.
    I'm glad there is a forum like this to visit.

Re: New with 7 year old

Welcome JRE!

Getting a copy of the Educator's Resource Kit from the TSFC should go a long way to help the school learn how to handle issues relating to TS. What city do you live in? The TSFC has trained in-services providers that can go out to your school to educate the staff and the students.

Comment

Welcome JRE! I'm new, too.

I've read (and experienced), that tics can be at their worse in early adolescence. I wish you and your family the best of luck. You would think that in this day and age, that the school would be aware of the affliction, and a little more understanding.

Comment

Hi JRE

Welcome.

I have TS plus and I have 4 sons... a 7 year old twin who have displayed symptoms of TS. My oldest boys are diagnosed and we have educated their peers and classmates each year until my oldest was in grade 7 then he felt it was not necessary any more.

We found that if you gave their classmates a reason for the "odd behaviors" then their peers accepted them. The problem comes when kids perceive our children to be normal and then when they observe the odd behaviors the kids think that our children are weird.

Educating the educators helps too. Many do not have the awareness of many, many or the exceptionalities and why i am a huge advocate of all teachers being special ed trained. .

keep us udated
        Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

ya hey janet it was the same way with me up until about grade 9 it gets easier as most people mature but the school should not be discriminating against it. thats the worst thing possible. I my self was diagnosed with tourettes in grade 8 and that helped............ of course it also improved a lot when we moved back to hanover because the people here are more supportive. I have never been to any of the chapters but I know the .... Im not sure what the right word is but the President of the Kitchener chapter came into my school to talk to all the teachers so most of the teachers in my school are educated. getting the teachers educated can really help a lot because then they understand a bit more. if anyone wants to talk to me about my experience my e-mail is evanth@sympatico.ca

Comment

Working...
          X