Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

New here!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here!

Hi, I'm new here. I'm Tara, mom of 3 kids, one with TS. Connor is 8 1/2 years old and was diagnosed just over a year ago. I myself have various motor tics, and had some vocal tics as a kid, none of which I realized wasn't 'typical' until my son's diagnosis (though I've never sought out a diagnosis as any tics I have are very mild). Anyway, I'm glad to see this forum is up and running again! So nice to have a place to turn to with questions

Re: New here!

Hello Tara and welcome to the Forum! Thanks for joining us and yes, I am thrilled as well at the commitment of the TSFC to support the Forum.

We'll be looking forward to your participation in our community.

It's not unusual for adults today to have had undiagnosed tics as kids because the awareness among the the general population and even among some of the medical community was lacking not that long ago.

How id Connor dealing with his situation both at home as well as in school and with his playmates?

Is there any specific information or resource that you need that's top priority?
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
    If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
    Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Connor is doing very well with everything. We've been lucky that he has never had any issues at school. At home was a different story a couple years ago but things at home are pretty tame now too.

Connor gave a presentation to his class at the beginning of the school year. It went very well - kids would constantly ask him "is that a tic?" when he did anything but that tapered off and now he says every once in a while someone will ask what he's doing and he'll tell them it's a tic and they don't mention it again. He's in grade 3 right now, and I hope that things continue like this as he gets older. His classmates have been very understanding.

We find Connor has the hardest time with extra-curricular activities - his neighbourhood friends, and classmates all know what is going on and see him regularly. But every time he starts a new swim class or a new session of this or that activity, he has to start over and explain things. He gets a lot of people telling him he's weird and they don't 'get' that he can't stop what he's doing. Sometimes he seems to care, other times he doesn't. Mostly he gets annoyed at them for getting annoyed at him! ;)

At this point there isn't anything specific we're looking for - it's just nice to meet other people dealing with the same things.

Comment

Hi, TaraF. Welcome to the TSFC community.

Comment

It's absolutely wonderful that Connor, who is in thirde grade, has the maturity to explain his Tourette to people when necessary to satify their curiosity or interest. That skill will serve him well throughout his life in social situations and in his work relationships.

every time he starts a new swim class or a new session of this or that activity, he has to start over and explain things.
          Connor and you may find it helpful in these situations to keep in a back pocket a simple printed handout that summarizes what Tourette is, in a simple yet comprehensive way.

I the Forum section we call Tics Overview, we've provided a number of "Sticky" posts at the top of the section that contain various overviews of Tourette, but THIS ONE contains a few printable brochures that would serve that purpose.

The TSFC Q&A is especially good and is currently being re-printed to update the contact info for TSFC, but we have a pdf copy there for your convenience.

Connor gave a presentation to his class at the beginning of the school year
          Was it a presentation on Tourette?

FYI, the TSFC has an In-Service training program where they will send a Chapter volunteer to speak to the school, the teachers, or students about Tourette. The same audio/visual program is available from TSFC for a parent to use in situations where a local volunteer is not available.
          Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage
          Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Originally posted by djbaxter View Post
            Hi, TaraF. Welcome to the TSFC community.
            Thanks for the welcome!

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            It's absolutely wonderful that Connor, who is in thirde grade, has the maturity to explain his Tourette to people when necessary to satify their curiosity or interest. That skill will serve him well throughout his life in social situations and in his work relationships.

Connor and you may find it helpful in these situations to keep in a back pocket a simple printed handout that summarizes what Tourette is, in a simple yet comprehensive way.

I the Forum section we call Tics Overview, we've provided a number of "Sticky" posts at the top of the section that contain various overviews of Tourette, but THIS ONE contains a few printable brochures that would serve that purpose.

The TSFC Q&A is especially good and is currently being re-printed to update the contact info for TSFC, but we have a pdf copy there for your convenience.

Was it a presentation on Tourette?

FYI, the TSFC has an In-Service training program where they will send a Chapter volunteer to speak to the school, the teachers, or students about Tourette. The same audio/visual program is available from TSFC for a parent to use in situations where a local volunteer is not available.
            Connor has always been mature beyond his years and that has been a huge benefit to him!

And yes, he did a presentation on Tourette's. We called about having a volunteer come in but there was a backlog and they said it could be a few months. We never followed up with it since Connor's own presentation went so well. He's in French Immersion so the presentation was in French and we weren't sure if the content would be fully understood but it seemed to be :Big Grin: He's very happy to talk to people about it, very matter-of-fact, and he has a confidence I certainly never had!

Thank you for the links to the brochures!

Comment

Connor has always been mature beyond his years .... He's very happy to talk to people about it, very matter-of-fact
              Sounds like a young man with a great future!

Thank you for the links to the brochures
              You are most welcome. Let us know if you need material on any other related topic or if you have suggestions as to what might be useful on the Forum.
              Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage

Comment

Hi Tara and welcome to the forum. Feel free to annoy.

Comment

Working...
                X