Introducing a returning administrator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing a returning administrator

Hi everyone -- As I was reminded in another thread, I should introduce myself.

I am returning to the Forum after several years. I am one of the original founders of the Forum and served as a administrator for a few years. I am the parent of an adult son with TS+ and have been a volunteer with Tourette Canada for over 20 years.

I am looking forward to assisting with the Forum!
    Cathy W
    Administrator

Welcome back and especially thanks for coming back to help!
    Gary
    "If at first you don't succeed....
    CRY and CRY again!"

Comment

Welcome back, Cathy, and thank you for bringing the forum into the world originally. Can you fill us in on your current role? Are you the person who is choosing the vbulletin settings? I feel a bit like Dorothy -- something tells me I'm not in Kansas any more.

Also, I'm interested to understand the current status of the forum, and the volunteers who've been struggling to keep the home fires burning. David and Steve were our volunteer administrators. It was mainly David who did administrative things such as upgrading vbulletin. Steve, Tina and I (and to some extent David as well) were volunteer moderators.

Should those of us who were moderating previously reapply? Could you upload the forms you mentioned in your other post? I appear to still have access to the moderators' forum, so that might be a place to put them if you don't want them available to the public at large. I have private messaging turned off. However, if you prefer to have a conversation over email, I can post my actual email address for you in the moderators' forum. Also perhaps with your special admin privileges, you may be able to pull up my email address using one of your special admin tools.
      Last edited by aparente001; September 7, 2017, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aparente001 View Post
        Welcome back, Cathy, and thank you for bringing the forum into the world originally. Can you fill us in on your current role? Are you the person who is choosing the vbulletin settings? I feel a bit like Dorothy -- something tells me I'm not in Kansas any more.

Also, I'm interested to understand the current status of the forum, and the volunteers who've been struggling to keep the home fires burning. David and Steve were our volunteer administrators. It was mainly David who did administrative things such as upgrading vbulletin. Steve, Tina and I (and to some extent David as well) were volunteer moderators.

Should those of us who were moderating previously reapply? Could you upload the forms you mentioned in your other post? I appear to still have access to the moderators' forum, so that might be a place to put them if you don't want them available to the public at large. I have private messaging turned off. However, if you prefer to have a conversation over email, I can post my actual email address for you in the moderators' forum. Also perhaps with your special admin privileges, you may be able to pull up my email address using one of your special admin tools.
        Hey "Dorothy" you're not the only one confused I have some info to some of your questions but won't post it publically and can't PM you... maybe turn it on for a bit and PM me
        Gary
        CRY and CRY again!"

Comment

Hi - I will be posting details to the current moderators in the moderator section.

As to my role -- I am a volunteer with Tourette Canada. I will be one of the administrators on the Forum. Janet (another TC volunteer) will also be joining as a second administrator later this fall.

Bear with me while I catch up on the changes to the software and tools.
          Cathy W
          Administrator

Comment

Hi Gary,

I believe in the forum and want to work cooperatively with everyone interested to try to bring it back to life. I hope the new regime accepts me back as a volunteer moderator. Wish me luck!

I was very glad to see your post. Nice to see an old familiar face from Kansas.

Comment

Hi Gary,

I believe in the forum and want to work cooperatively with everyone interested to try to bring it back to life. I hope the new regime accepts me back as a volunteer moderator. Wish me luck!

I was very glad to see your post. Nice to see an old familiar face from Kansas.
              Hi,
              If they keep Global moderators or not I'm sure you should be fine regardless. Who else is there to do it? I doubt there's a line of applicants wanting to devote time. In two years there was let's see... you that became a new moderator...
              I think many have given up on active participation on the forum a long time ago. Most would come to read the articles and run off. I definitely doubt it was because of Steve he was always there to help, kind and compassionate and at times even funny.

I PM'd David and Steve here. David responded and to put it politely Steve and David are no longer Administrators here. I got a hold of Steve on Psychlinks. Sadly that's all I can say outside of a private message.

There was Steve, David, Tina You and Me that constituted 99.9% of the posts and responses here in the last year with Steve having about 90% of those if not more. Psychlinks used to be a sister forum but I think that will no longer be a reality. I'm a member of both but was not active there.

I'm sticking around for now and will wait and see how thinks go. As I said you can always PM me if you want to know more.
              Gary
              CRY and CRY again!"

Comment

Gary, thanks for sticking around, it would be lonely without you. I believe Steve and David are still moderators (even though they're not admins any more). So am I (still a moderator), in the sense that I still have access to moderator tools and the Private Moderators sub-forum, but I don't know if that is by design or by accident, and I don't know if my status will suddenly be altered at some random time with no notice. I phoned the Home Office on August 24th, identified myself as a volunteer forum moderator, and left messages for the key Board members to phone me but I never got a return call.

I still have no real understanding of what got things to this point, but I hope you will join with me in clamoring for Steve and David to continue participating and moderating. Not in the sense of pushing them to do anything they would rather not do, but just in the sense of "We miss you, hope to see you here again when and if you feel ready."

The forum has a post-apocalyptic feel to it just at the present moment. I'm so glad you're here too.

Sorry about my PM policy -- I just don't do PMs. I have a hard enough time keeping up with the forum and my email.

I personally dislike strong colors on the internet (and I don't like spicy food either), so I have no complaints about the new color scheme, but there are some weird settings on vbulletin now that I'm not too happy about, e.g. I keep getting logged out; it's hard to pull up recent unread posts; and my automatic subscription setting seems to have been lost. I hope the two purported admins start to become more active soon so we can figure some of these things out....

Comment

Gary, thanks for sticking around, it would be lonely without you. I believe Steve and David are still moderators (even though they're not admins any more).
                  The forum has a post-apocalyptic feel to it just at the present moment. I'm so glad you're here too.
                  Yes, it does have a post apocalyptic feel here.

You should have come to a conclusion by now.... have you ever known Steve or David to not reply to clarify any question? Even on weekends etc. Especially an important one like the ones you are asking. That alone should answer your question regarding their presence in any active manner here. Like I said I wish I could say more.

I like the colors but don't like the way the forum is set up. I miss the old format... no likes or thanks, no working emoticons and no people except you and me. When David transferred over the database all posts, users names and passwords and statuses were transferred over as is. They have simply modified the visual and functional layout of the forum.
                  Gary
                  CRY and CRY again!"

Comment

Hi Everyone

As shared I am returning to the form as an administrator. I was also involved when the forum was originally started and dedicated many hours back then to being present and supportive to our active participants. My sons were very young back then and being in NL my time zone is ahead of most so late nights always worked well for me. I work full time and I have a family which keeps me busy. I have TS+ and I am the proud mother of 4 grown sons who happen to have TS+; bringing real life experiences and stories back to our TC population.

I understand that you are missing your old version of the forum, your feedback is not falling on deaf ears. As Cathy and I get re-orientated we will start to customize the forum and setting.

I am looking forward to supporting the forum and those who visit.
                    Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Welcome back, Janet. I have a 14yo son with Tourette, ADHD, OCD, anxiety, sensory integration and executive function difficulties. The usual alphabet soup.

Cathy and Janet, I was just wondering, do either of you have prior vbulletin admin experience? Will you be figuring the settings out as you go? What do you think will be your primary source(s) of guidance in doing that?

A few weeks ago, I heard that an acquaintance of someone on the Board, who has IT expertise, was going to carry out the server port. Is that person still available to you for technical support if needed?

Did David give you a series of screenshots of his settings? Without that, you would be shooting in the dark to get settings that match the previous functionality and features.

What sort of time frame do you anticipate for your re-orientation? I don't want to start making settings suggestions or ask questions about my own status until you feel ready.

Comment

Hi
                        My boys range from 17 to 25 and between the 5 of us we have several versions of the "alphabet soup"

To answer your questions, Cathy and I have both operated as admins in the past. When referring to re-orienting back to the forum I meant we are a little rusty so we need some time to get back up to speed. We do actually have a technician to support us as needed. Our intent is to become more involved and see the level of engagement of our TS population. With respect to making the forum exactly as it was before, that may not be the case. However, if there are functions and or features that regular users prefer then we are open to the feedback and suggestions. I can't give you a timeline at this point because both Cathy and I are working full-time and this role is a part-time volunteer role for us. Unfortunately I had a family health emergency Sept 1 so that unexpected event has set me back and has delayed me from being as available as I planned. So for me right now, it's family first. Assuming life doesn't toss any more curve balls my way, I plan to dedicate time this coming weekend. Have a great week.
                        Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Janet, I was sorry to hear about the health emergency in your family and wish you all the best. This is bad luck for the forum, since you seem to be the primary moderator at this time, given Cathy's limited participation, given the mysterious disappearance of Tina, Steve and David, and given the question mark as regards whether I will be permitted to continue on as a moderator.

We do actually have a technician to support us as needed.
                          Thanks for that info.

I think these conversations will be easier if we can agree on some terminology and what the roles are. Here are the terms as I have understood them, please tell me if you prefer a different set of terminology, or if you see the roles differently:

Admin role: performs vbulletin upgrades, changes vbulletin settings, responsible for protecting subscribers' private data and for protecting forum from hacking and spam, has access to the user database and the post database, can perform repairs when something isn't working right.

Moderator role: welcomes new members, makes forum announcements, facilitates productive peer to peer support discussions, edits other participants' posts as needed, responds to user flags, puts spam or other questionable posts into quarantine, discusses forum maintenance and health matters with other moderators in a private area.

MVP role: welcomes new members, facilitates productive peer to peer support discussions, flags questionable posts.

Comment

Working...
                          X