Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

Hello, Everyone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, Everyone

Nice to know this forum and everyone here. My son is 6 and has Tourette. I think his tics come from his stress and anxiety. I am trying to find ways to help him with stress and anxiety.

Re: Hello, Everyone

Originally posted by Liu View Post
    Nice to know this forum and everyone here. My son is 6 and has Tourette. I think his tics come from his stress and anxiety. I am trying to find ways to help him with stress and anxiety.
    Welcome to the Tourette Canada Forum Liu! We hope you will find the information and support you need for your son.

While Tourette tics are neurological and involuntary, the tics are influenced by environmental factors, both internal and external.

Examples of internal factors would include anxiety, fatigue, stress, excitement. External factors would include people, places or situations that tend to exacerbate tics in a predictable way. The environment does not cause tics, as Tourette tics are involuntary, but the environment can influence tics, both positively and negatively.

There is no universal standard for what factors trigger tics for any given individual, so a therapist would interview and assess each individual's particular tic triggers in order to provide strategies to address those triggers. What might increase tics for one child or person with Tourette, may not affect another's tics, while the same factor may lessen yet another's tics.

Strategies to manage internal factors would include such things as learning relaxation techniques, improvement of sleep hygiene, dietary modifications such as reduction in caffeine and sugars. External factors can be managed by mitigating those situations either by avoiding them, finding ways to lessen their influence through education, awareness etc, or learning ways to lessen their impact.

These strategies can be learned with the assistance and counseling of a behavior therapist, especially one who is trained and experienced in treating Tourette Syndrome.

A thorough assessment of any associated disorders would also provide treatments and strategies to manage symptoms that may even create greater impairment than the tics.

Tics may stabilize, subside and even remit with time, but many associated disorders can be lifelong and should not be ignored.

What kinds of situations tend to cause stress and anxiety for your son?

How do other members of your family respond to your son's symptoms?

What about his school?
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
    If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
    Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Thanks, Steve. His anxiety and stress seem from change of environment. I tried to help him relax by using deep breath. We ignore his tics after his diagnosis. We don't know how his school time goes with other kids because he could not describe what happened at school. He has difficulty to form a story about what happened before. His teachers complained about his behaviour a lot. At JK, he had no eye contact with others. At SK, his teachers complained his spitting and other behaviours related to Tourette and often sent him to the office until we brought doctor's notice to them and had a meeting with his teachers and the principal. But lunch supervisors still often sent him to the office.

He has talent and interest in math and music. Doing math can make him calm down and focused. He has some special interests. So I am thinking he has asperger. But asperger is no longer recognized after 2013.

So I am trying to find therapy instead of drugs for his tics.

Comment

His anxiety and stress seem from change of environment.
        What kinds of changes seem to trigger his anxiety?

But lunch supervisors still often sent him to the office.
        No child diagnosed with a neurological disorder should be punished or reprimanded for his symptoms. Would a child who is diabetic or a child in a wheelchair be punished or reprimanded for his symptoms? It sounds like you need to advocate on his behalf with the school principal.

So I am thinking he has asperger. But asperger is no longer recognized after 2013.
        Does your son's doctor suspect Asperger's?
        He has talent and interest in math and music. Doing math can make him calm down and focused.
        Most people / children with Tourette are creative. Interestingly, engaging in an activity requiring focused attention can have a positive effect on Tourette tics.

Please see: Focused Attention Inhibits Tics
        Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage
        Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

His symptoms became worse at the end of each June which is the end of his school year.

Lunch supervisor are inexperienced people on children education. We only heard from my son's teacher that his lunch supervisor sent him to the office after our meeting with his teachers and principles. After that, we expressed our concerns to the school. Then, his teacher made a individual education plan for my son. We don't know how his lunch supervisors did after that because both our son and his teachers did not tell us anything about lunch time.

Our family doctor referred us to Western hospital. Now we are waiting for seeing doctors of Western hospital for further assessment.

---------- Post Merged at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:19 PM ----------

I have a question, Steve. Is it good or bad to label my son with Autism (Asperger) or ADHD in addition to Tourette for his future in Canada?

Comment

Is it good or bad to label my son with Autism (Asperger) or ADHD in addition to Tourette for his future in Canada?
            I'm not sure if I understand your question, or perhaps better said, the intent of your question.

If you mean should your son be competently diagnosed, the answer, in my view is absolutely yes, so he can receive the necessary resources he needs to be able to deal with whatever impairments or challenges the symptoms his diagnosis or diagnoses might cause.

His diagnosis could make him eligible for special needs in school and eventually in his choice of employment. Having to endure ignorance and misunderstanding of his symptoms, such as he experienced at the hands of poorly informed or poorly trained educators or school staff can only adversely affect your son's self esteem, self confidence and ability to excel.

How can that be harmful to your son?
            Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage

Comment

Thanks, Steve. One doctor ever said to us, "why do you want to label your child." And this doctor kept telling us to attend parenting programs.

But we are lucky to get Tourette diagnosis first, so we can talk to the school and let them not to be so cruel to my son.
              Last edited by Liu; July 4, 2016, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I'm not sure if I understand your question, or perhaps better said, the intent of your question.

If you mean should your son be competently diagnosed, the answer, in my view is absolutely yes, so he can receive the necessary resources he needs to be able to deal with whatever impairments or challenges the symptoms his diagnosis or diagnoses might cause.

His diagnosis could make him eligible for special needs in school and eventually in his choice of employment. Having to endure ignorance and misunderstanding of his symptoms, such as he experienced at the hands of poorly informed or poorly trained educators or school staff can only adversely affect your son's self esteem, self confidence and ability to excel.

How can that be harmful to your son?
                Hey Steve, so well said, don't men to hijack a thread, sorry I haven't been around... been fighting my "demons" (and my doctors) LOL
                I am always impressed by the honesty and kindness and the wisdom of your replies.

Imagine if all these answers, diagnostics and help were available when we were growing up, maybe things would be very different for many of us that have lived all these years being misdiagnosed as just being crazy and hyper, or raging lunatics (neurological storms), lazy (executive dysfunction) oh not to forget TYPE A personality and you just have a personality disorder.

To Liu:
                A "Label" doesn't fix things but it helps, explains and clarifies who and why you child is the unique and special person he is.
                Reminds me of where I found simplicity and passion; the logic of math, so sweet and comforting There are no grey areas only 2 options, right or wrong, no confusion as to the potential answer. The passion of music combining the logic of math with the passion of the heart when some people say how many songs can you write with only 12 notes I reply: How many pictures can a kid draw with 12 different coloring crayons.

Best wishes,
                GaryQ
                Gary
                "If at first you don't succeed....
                CRY and CRY again!"

Comment

Thanks Gary. After attending some parenting programs, we hadn't found answers for our son. I had to continue looking for the reason of his Tourette, and then looking for possible ways of helping him. So I came here.

Comment

I had to continue looking for the reason of his Tourette
                    Tourette Syndrome is a genetic disorder, where the person with the diagnosis is born with a propensity for a part of the brain to not form quite correctly. That part of the brain, according to emerging knowledge based on fMRI studies, is thought to occur deep in the basal ganglia, a deep and ancient part of the brain. The specific structures within the basal ganglia getting the most interest by neuroscience is the cortical - striatal- thalamic - cortical circuit..or the CSTC circuit.

The CSTS circuit contains feedback loops in the brain having to do with movement and behaviour.

The structure of most interest to us is the "S" name in the CSTC circuit...the striatum.

The striatum acts like a gatekeeper for movements that are stored in the motor cortex of the brain, and the job of the striatum is to let through the movements appropriate for a given situation. In a Tourette brain, because the striatum does not have the volume of that in a neurotypical brain, (5 to 15% less) there are insufficient brain chemical to function at full capacity, allowing some movements (sound) to slip thought, and become executed as involuntary tics.

All this is going on outside of one's awareness, subconsciously, if you will, so the expression of tics is totally involuntary.

This is the same region of the brain though to be where the associated disorders of ADHD and OCD originate, which is why it is thought the disorders have characteristics in common. Please see: Tourette's, OCD, ADHD: Closer Together Than We Thought

Tics are not necessarily the source of greatest impairment, as the associated disorders can be. Tics in some cases remit or subside as the child reaches the age of about 10.5 years when the basal ganglia matures. There is reason for cautious optimism, though does not occur in all cases; however the associated disorders can remain lifelong and can be the cause of greater impairment. Associated disorders such as OCD, ADHD, mood and anxiety disorders, ODD, and SPD should not be ignored and should be addressed by the treating physician early to provide the child the best possible quality of life.

Therefore, Liu, rather than searching for the "cause" of your son's Tourette, efforts would be better allocated to finding the resources to treat the symptoms your son may be experiencing, that cause him discomfort, impairment or difficulty to function at school or socially.

Use the knowledge you gain from his doctors to deal with what really matters, your son's quality of life and his potential to grow to be a productive, self reliant young man by locating the support services and resources to help him and your family achieve those goals.

You did nothing to "cause" his Tourette, it's in your son's genes.
                    Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage

Comment

Liu, You are more than welcome. I think i understand what you meant when you say looking for a reason... Correct me if a am wrong but you wanted to understand more about what causes Tourette's and why your child's ticks get worse at certain periods.

I totally understand that search for understanding. I am 53 and found out only last year that I did In fact have TS along with the whole array of associative disorders that seem to accompany it.

I have read a lot of material before and since (almost all of it through Tourette's Canada website and especially here on the Forum and outside material referred from Steve)

This forum would not last a month if not for the fact that Steve may have TS but his determination to help others definitely comes from his "driven nature" politically correct term for "obsession" LOL most likely caused by a common TS comorbidity called OCD.

Progress in the medical field has been phenomenal in starting to understand the neuologicsl root causes and help is available for kids to learn to manage living with TS and mostly the comorbid disorders during the most important phase of their lives, the developmental formative years where children are more a moldable clay than in later years.

I encourage you to stay connected via parenting groups, the forums, the association etc. it may seem like you are getting nowhere at times but any personal skill, abîlity or trick you learn Will, like any seed planted in fertile soil, produce a result of the labor ten fold, but it is a slow process... Try planting a seed and sit there till it sprouts

Warmest Regards,
                      Gary
                      P.S. Getting an official diagnosis has not changed anything I have been through, and mostly what I have put others through BUT being able to explain to those that are or enter my life, what my disorders are has changed the way they see and understand me and for a few people it has put peace in their hearts realizing I wasn't just a raging lunatic, and that's at 53 after only 10 months of Knowing!
                      Gary
                      "If at first you don't succeed....
                      CRY and CRY again!"

Comment

Thanks, Steve. I want to find out those possible things that make my son stressful or worried and try to help him to face those situations.

After doing a lot of research, I am very sure my son has Asperger Syndrome which is not diagnosed any more or included in high functioning autism.

Comment

Working...
                        X