Hi From British Columbia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi From British Columbia

It's wonderful to have found this place! I have been to the TSFC site before, but have never checked out the bulletin board.

I am the mother of an amazing and tallented boy. Jared was diagnosed when he was seven years old. Now, six years later, at age 13 he is full of raging adolescent hormones, and he has recently become quite a handful. I knew this period in his life would most likely be more difficult. Puberty is hard enough to get through without having to deal with something like TS. I guess I just wasn't expecting it to this intensity.

He has been on meds for some time. His official diagnosis is TS, OCD, ADHD, NLD. Recently, while attempting a med change it was brought to our attention that he may have the emergence of early onset BP. There is a parental link, so it wouldn't be far fetched.

We have great support from family and friends, but we don't' have a TS chapter here where I live, or any support groups. I'm just feeling a little frazzled and looking forward to talking to others who truly understand life with TS+.

Thank you for letting me go on, and on, and on... lol

Hi From British Columbia

Jared's Mom!

Welcome to the TSFC Forum. We are glad you found us and we are here to help with information and with support.

Sorry to hear there is no local support in your home area. You may wish to check with your son;s physician to find out if there are other parents in your area with Tourette in the family.

You may be able to arrange an informal get together to share information and talk about local issues.

In the meantime, use the TSFC Forum as your online resource community. Our members and moderators are eager to meet new members and to share info.

His official diagnosis is TS, OCD, ADHD, NLD.
    Would you elaborate on what is NLD?

Looking forward to your participation in the Forum!
    Steve
    TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Hi From British Columbia

Welcome, you have found the right place. When there is no support meeting to attend we like to think of our forum as the best next thing. I am so glad you found us. As Steve suggested you may have families in your area. Try contacting the TSFC and see if they can partner you with someone.

I can relate to having a teenager with TS. I have TS plus and two of my sons are diagnosed. My oldest is about to turn 14 this week and I find it is a challenge between " the testing teenager-hood attitude" coupled with the TS. You are not alone.

Feel free to vent and ask questions here and navigate through the index to read some of the older postings. You may find that you relate to a lot of it.

Looking forward to you visiting us again.
      Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Hi From British Columbia

Welcome!

I am glad you found us.
        I too have a son going on 13 that is TS+. You have found the right place for support and to ask questions and compare experiences.

As a mom this forum has made a big difference for us.
        PJK

Comment

Hi From British Columbia

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone. It's nice to know there is such a supportive atmosphere here.

The last 6-8 weeks has been such a roller coaster ride what with Christmas holidays, and the attempted medication change. Sometimes my son has been almost unable to speak because of the constant vocal tics. He's been in physical pain from body tics. It's so hard to watch him repeat these actions over and over knowing he's in pain (jaw cracking, teeth grinding, neck snapping, jaw snapping... ). It seems to be improving now that he's back on the Risperdal

Steve to answer your question about NLD, it is short for Nonverbal Learning Disabilities. It is basically a deficit in executive functioning, working memory, and attention. It affects one's ability to get started, plan, organize, problem solve and remain flexible. There is a lack of ability to learn from past experience; remembering things that have happened in the past. They may come to class unprepared, or have trouble planning an assignment. They often seem to act without thinking.

Steve, Janet, and PJK, thank you again for your welcome. What I would like to know is, how are your children getting along in school and are they on adapted or regular programs?

Comment

Hi From British Columbia

Jared's Mom!

Thanks for the description of NLD. I was not familiar with the acronym.

how are your children getting along in school and are they on adapted or regular programs?
            I'll defer to the parents on the Forum to comment as I have not had parenting experience.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Forum!
            Steve
            TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Hi From British Columbia

Hi Jared's mom. My son was just diagnosed with TS and OCD. He is 16 yrs old in Grade 11. We have only had this for about a year and half now as it came on quite suddenly. Hi is identified, meaning he gets an IEP every year, he gets to leave the classroom if he feels the need to release, and he can go to the Academic Resource room for tests or projects. There he can get one-on-one help, the room is quiet so he can concentrate and for tests he is given a longer time to write it. School was really bad by the end of the school year last year. His marks were horrible. But he has been on Risperdal since May and he has major improvements. His marks are back up to where they were before this happened. He stills gets taunted a little this year, not as bad as when this first happened. But his attitude is to walk away. He also has some friends he grew up with that stick up for him( several times from what I heard). My son hears voices which are part of his OCD, so this is what makes it difficult for him in school. We live in Ontario. My son failed the Literacy test last year and has to write it again this year to pass high school. But this time he will be on meds, hopefully the right ones. This forum helps me and will you as well. Take care
              Rose

Comment

Hi From British Columbia

Hi Rose, I am so glad your son has experienced such improvements in his life with the help he has received!

My son has a student development block in which he and six other children dealing with learning challenges work with a learning aid to finish class work in order to avoid homework. Homework is always such a battle. I don't know how other paren't find it, but it seems to always be an uphill battle at out place. The SDC block is a Godsend. The SDC aid works with the boys in their academic classes as well as they have all been assigned to the same block of classes together. It can be a blessing and a curse, as they are starting to wear on one another. Jared is the only one with TS and he gets harassed a lot. He has unlimited hallway passes for bathroom and water fountain trips to discharge and tic, untimed tests, oral tests and his workload is adapted to what he can handle.

Sometimes I feel like I am cheating him though. He says he feels so stupid because he is in this adapted program. I know he is very bright, but I'm affraid of what would happen if he was suddenly without the help. He doesn't like the feeling of being singled out as one of the SDC kids. Am I giving him enough of a chance to prove himself? His marks were excellent last term, but what about this term, or next term or next year? He's just so angry and unhappy with himself right now. It tears my heart apart to see him like this.

We have an IEP meeting this afternoon with his teachers. Lord willing we'll all have some good ideas, wisdom and insight on the correct way to handle this. Then it's off the counselors office. Wish us luck.

Thank you for letting me rant. I would love to hear from any of you out there who have advice, personal experience etc.

Comment

Hi From British Columbia

I do understand what you are saying. My son does well in school and usually does all his homework there before going home.

But he used to be pulled out of the classroom for session and help and it made him felt singled out.

Their timing was always wrong, like when he was doing a art project for a holiday or during computer time. Then the time would not be made up for.

We have to see what happens this time. Last time his work load was reduced and he was on a different time schedule. The schedule I could understand more because of his ADHD but the work load bored him.

I've seen the anger moments to out of pure frustration and feeling singled out.

See how your meeting goes and keep us posted.
                  PJK

Comment

Hi From British Columbia

Hola!!! :D good to meet ya! I wish I had some kind of advice on his frustrations with school... but it sounds like it's hard to find a good balance between what he needs in regards to help and what he needs as far as being independent.
                    I'm tempted to suggest that if he wants some of the adaptations lifted, he prove himself by doing his homework, but if for some reason he truly can't just 'get it done' I'd hate to see him set up for failure. But then, would it be possible to set SMALL goals in regards to getting homework done and if he can consistently accomplish a small goal, then perhaps an adaptation could be lifted. ????

doesn't sound easy! Good luck! ((Hug))

Comment

Hi From British Columbia

That's what our former school did with my own son and he still managed to get most of the work done at school.

He needed to feel comfortable about asking for help, not being given less work then anyone else. The process frustrated him but he excelled once he knew he was like the other kids.
                      PJK

Comment

Hi From British Columbia

Haejinn it's good to meet you too, and thanks for your input.

It has been really hard to find a healthy balance with his school work! We had the IEP meeting at his school with the teachers on Monday and things went really positively.

I really appreciated what you were saying about small goals and consistent accomplishments. What we are going to try is basically that. His binder, daytimer, and any classwork not completed that day come home to be worked on and signed. We'll see how this plays out over the next few weeks. He seems to feel very positive about the plan. He knows it will give him some control over the situation and he can use his student development block for things like studying, or keyboard practicing or reading. He'll still have the adaptations, but he'll be able to start requesting help based on his need rather than them just rushing to his side all the time. He is relieved by that. He's just been so frustrated, it's good to see a few smiles out of him now.

Thanks so much for your continued support! Have a wonderful day
                        Jared'sMom

PJK does your son do the full work load?

Comment

Hi From British Columbia

When he returns to school he will have the same time table everyone else has. If we have scale down a bit we will but this is part of the self esteem concern to find the balance.

What you are describing we have been through ourselves and the process can work if the homework is done.
                          This means that the teacher sends notes in the day runner and helps list outstanding items. Having the child do this just did not work for us.

It is the little details that slip through the cracks and time management that is weak.

Good Luck!
                          PJK

Comment

Working...
                          X