Plan to Visit Theme Parks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plan to Visit Theme Parks

Hi, well, I dont really know what to say so I guess I will start from the beggining:
    My name is Chloe and I am 14. I am homeschooled for many different reasons but most of them include my TS. I was diagnosed aroung the time when I turned 8. I take 2 medications. One for mood disorder and one for concentration. I have had so many horrible ticks starting in KINDERGARTEN. Right now its saying things REALLY LOUD. I soooo dislike having tourettes but I am coping. I am thinking about starting on a "tick" medication soon. I'm going to Disney Land this year in a few months and I want a t-shirt that says "I have TS" so that I wont get stared at for my annoying ticks. You may think this is dumb but I cant cope without is. If anyone has heard of a place you can get these t-shirts please let me know. I dont know what to say besides the fact that I have so many understanding ppl in my life. I would love to meet someone my age with Tourettes but hearing from anyone right now sounds good. Thanx for listening,
    Love Chloe :lol:

Hello Chloe,

Welcome to the TSFC Forum! Glad you found us and you may wish to explore the Youth section of the Forum as well where you may exchange info with other young people.

Have you and your family been in contact with any Tourette Support groups in B.C?

You can have some really cool T shirts made up with a personal message at Disneyland, if you cannot find someone at a local mall who makes personalized T's.

When you're at Disneyland, ask any of the people working there where they make personalized T shirts.

Your best support are the loving people in your life, you refer to.

Feel free to ask any questions about Tourette here, and we hope you make the TSFC Forum part of your regular online activities!
    Steve
    TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Hello Chloe,

Welcome to our forum. There is an inexpensive way that might help too. At places like staples you can get iron-on transfers. You could print your message onto a transfer and then iron it on to a t-shirt or sweatshirt you already own... check it out with the staff at Staples. My kids (my oldest is 14) wear TS wristbands to increase awareness... also a great way to break the ice when you what to tell someone you have TS. I often use my wrist band for that too when I meet people I don't know and tell them I have TS... it gives them a chance to look and read the message on the wrist band to get their mind open to what they are hearing.

I totally encourage you check out our Youth forum. I hope you make this a regular place to visit.
      Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

thanx soo much...I will try all the suggestions...thank you :lol:

Comment

Chloe,

Welcome and thanks for joining us here. As stated before by steve and janet, there are a number of places that will make t shirts for you but if you cant find it here, Disney Land will for sure have a place to do so.

I really like that idea though. Like janet said, it will break the ice with anyone you meet on your TS but it also to me states that your not afraid of TS and you are proud of who you are. Coping with TS may be tough but if you find something that works, than thats all that matters.

Also as stated before, check out the youth forums to see someone your age with TS but dont be afraid of any of the other forums for info. Although I may not remember that age much, :lol: I had my fair share of experiences with TS in my teens and am always more than happy to give advice or support when needed, and Im sure that goes for everyone here!

Again, welcome and I hope to see you join us in our converstaions!
          The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Comment

Hi, I think the T-shirt for TS is a great idea! Also, how about a hat that says "Hats off to TS". Or how about a mug saying "don't Ticc me off, I have TS" or a clock that says "When I say I Ticc I didn't mean Tock". Anyway, I could go on and on. Steph

Comment

Sounds like some excellent ideas that could be passed along to the TSFC marketing Director. I really like some of those creative ideas!!
              Steve
              TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Hi, Chloe, I read your intro post at the TSFC forums. I am quite curious what you think of homeschooling, and what your thoughts were on it when you started.

I am considering homeschooling my eldest son, who has TS. He was diagnosed by the time he was six, he also has ADHD and has been diagnosed with Sensory Integrative Disorder (which I think is probably part and parcel of the TS). He is a very anxious kid, and always has been. He is 11 and in Grade 5. He has a lot of trouble processing what is being taught in the classroom ? I think it all comes at him too fast, and not in a way that is helpful to him. He does not get resource teacher time.

I am wondering what your take is on being homeschooled, pros and cons. Do you also participate in some outside activities, or are you pretty isolated? How long have you been doing school at home?

My mom is really opposed to my son being homeschooled because she feels he?ll be lacking in social skills if he isn?t in a classroom with his peers. I don?t necessarily agree that being with his peers (who currently are kind but may become quite cruel in the next few years) is necessarily a good thing for his self-esteem (ditto for feeling dumb because he struggles with the schoolwork). I think his anxiety levels will be considerably lower at home. He will also have more time to do things he enjoys (and is good at) if we can get school out of the way when he is not exhausted (not like he is now, doing homework/me reteaching the class work for two hours afterschool).

Currently he has little time for ?fun? ? he gets up, goes on the bus, does school, back on the bus, homework, supper, bed. BORING! I wouldn?t want to do that!!

He does take guitar ? but rarely has time for practice, he takes jiu jitsu twice a week, participates in a boys club program weekly (which keeps him out past bedtime), and has a small paper route. As a parent, I?m having a lot of trouble seeing him so stressed all the time, and he is frustrated by it as well. But I?d hate to see him give up the few things he does that he enjoys ? and are good for him.

I struggle to find the balance. Add to that three younger siblings (two of whom who would be in school if I were homeschooling), and I really am having trouble determining what is best at this time.

I hope to hear back... Kristy

Comment

Disneyland Trip

Hi Chloe,

My name is Laura and I have a nine year old son with TS and recently diagnosed OCD.

This June we are taking him to DisneyWorld and just like you he is concerned about what people may think in such close quarters as ride line-ups. Have your parents call Guest Services and explain your situation to them. When I did, they were very understanding and told me to just bring a dr's note explaining his condition and they would issue a special pass for him. The special pass is so that he can go up the back entrance of any ride and just get on without having to wait in line with anyone else. We do this too when we go to other amusement parks, it saves him the stares and the laughs from others who just don't understand.

I hope you have a wonderful trip, I went twice when I was younger and thirteen years later I still remember almost every detail.
                  Good Luck!

Comment

Have your parents call Guest Services and explain your situation to them
                    Hi Laura,

Thank you for that information. I was not aware of that service, which is helpful to know about.
                    Steve
                    TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

I know that Canada's Wonderland (north of Toronto) also issues these special passes through guest services.

Comment

Thank you for the info on Canada's Wonderland.

If anyone else has had experience with theme parks which provide assistance to special needs people, please let us know.
                        Steve
                        TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Contact DisneyWorld online or through CAA for advanced assistance.

You check in at the office before starting your day. They will tell you were to park and which tram to take if necessary.

I know that SeaWorld has assistance. I took my son there when he was much younger and I needed all the help I could get.. :lol:
                          PJK

Comment

Working...
                          X