Hi from Kim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from Kim

Hi, my name is Kim, I live in Northern Ontario. I have had tourettes since I was about 4 years old, I'm now 34. I have several motor tics as well as two vocal tics. I have never taken any medication until now, but over the last year my tics have increased to the point that I'm causing myself harm involving the muscles and joints in my neck and shoulder. I tried relaxtion techniques and massage therapy but because I keep moving all the time nothing seems to help. Last week my doctor prescribed risperadol and clonazapam for anxiety, .05 mg 3 x a day for the clonazapam and .05 mg once a day for the risperadol. I don't know how long it takes to work or what the side effects will be like. If anyone has taken these drugs or knows about them I'd like to hear back. Thanks, Kim

Hi from Kim

Hi Kimberly,

Welcome to the TSFC website, we are happy that you found us.

There are support groups all across Canada and to find out if you live near one: go to the TSFC main website, press About US, press Official Affiliates.

Have you asked your doctor about your medications and its side effects?

We do have a discussion on coping mechanism in the general discussion area and we have many discussion on various tics thoughout the body in the tic parade. Please jump into any discussion that you want or start a new one. Also, we have a section on treatment options that might be of interest to you.

Do you know if there is a reason that your tics have increased recently?

Looking forward to hearing from you. Steph

Comment

Hi from Kim

Hello Kimberly!

Welcome to the TSFC Forum. There are a number of postings discsussing peoples experiences with risperdal in the Treatment Options Forum Section.

The easiest way to find them, is to click on the Search tool at the top of the page and enter " Risperdal " without the quotations.

You may wish to read this discsussion which contains links to the manufacturer's product monograph information.
      Steve
      TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Hi from Kim

Hi Steph, thanks for answering me. I don't know why my tics increased in the past year or so, I haven't changed anything, eating habits, exercise or job or home life. My doctor told me a small percentage of people with tourettes have an increase in tics as they age, I suppose that could be it. I have a follow up appointment with my doctor in a month to see how these meds are working and how bad the side effects are (like if I walk in there and I'm 300 lbs !!!!) and he may refer me to a neurologist. The only problem is I live up north and I'm 7 hours from Toronto, 6 hours from Ottawa nad 9 hours from Montreal, all the places where there is half decent medical facilities. But we'll see what happens until then. Again thanks for answering me. Talk to you later

Kim

Comment

Hi from Kim

Hi Kim,

Did you get a chance to check out the treatment options messages? Did it help answer some of your questions?

Tics increasing with age is a new one to me and I will research it and see what information I can find.

I live in a small town also, I know the challenges you face.

Please let us know how the appointment goes and remember we are always here to talk.

There are lots of discussion on the forum or you can start a new one.

We would love to hear from you so keep us posted. Steph

Comment

Hi from Kim

Kim

Welcome to the TSFC forum!

I regret my welcome is belated but glad you found us.
            PJK

Comment

Hi from Kim

welcome Kim

The fact that you are several hours away from the closest big city makes this forum a great place for you to visit. There is a tremendous amount of info available here and keep in mind that this is only one feature of the TSFC. Contacting the national office (on their toll free number) will be a great benefit to you too. The people at the office are awesome and have a wealth of info and have lots of contacts in the field of TS.

I'm glad you found us and I hope you stay connected with us.
              Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Hi from Kim

Hi, I just want to say I'm glad I finally joined this site. I've checked it out before but never joined. I wish I had a long time ago. It makes me feel better to hear people talk about the same tics that I have had for years and to hear some of the coping mechanisms people use. Because I am from a small town there arent alot of people with tourettes syndrome and no support groups available so it's nice to be able to talk to people who are going through the same things or have children that are too. I've only gone onto the site a few times and I already feel better. Just wanted to say Thanks and keep up the good work!!

Kim

Comment

Hi from Kim

Hi Kim,

We are really glad that you joined this site too!

Join in the discussions or start a new one because we would love to hear from you. Steph

Comment

Hi from Kim

Kim

We are glad you joined too. This forum made a major difference in our family and the support provided by other members and volunteer moderators helped us.

I hope you have time to stop in often and join in other discussions and create your own topics.

Take Care!
                    PJK

Comment

Hi from Kim

I'm really late, but welcome!! :D

Comment

Working...
                      X