Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Headaches From TS??

Default Headaches From TS??

Has anyone heard of headaches as part of Tourettes? My son, now 17, was diagnosed with a mild form of Tourettes when he was about 10. As his symptons were manageable, we did not medicate. His tics seems to lessen as he got older. Recently, he has suffered from a non-stop headache since Dec 28 -- came on suddenly. Much testing later, the neurologist has mentioned that it could be Tourette's related - something about the scalp contracting. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks, Eileen

Eileen,

Hi, I have a nine year old son with TS who has suffered from headaches since birth, though at first we did not know it was headaches. I have been told as well that these headaches are TS related. He will have a headache for months and then he will be fine for awhile. At times, stress will bring them on. I do not know what causes these headaches, I just try to find ways to help him cope with them. I have taught him relaxation and meditation this has helped with the frequency but does not help at the time of the headache. When he has the headache he finds sitting in the shower helps sometimes and medication for other times.
    If it is not difficult enough to deal with tics and anxiety they have this to cope with as well. I truly feel for your son for I know how hard it can be for mine.
    Best wishes
    Sheena

Headaches should be investigated by a neurologist because they can be symtoms of various conditions, including migraine.

In addition, some medications used to treat TS and or OCD can produce headache as a side effect.

A nerologist would likely order a CT Scan to rule out any abnormalities before treating the headaches.

My neuroligist said headaches can be common in TS patients. You should definately have it checked out with your neuroligist but I have had them for a while. This is another "tic" (dont actually think it is a tic) that has clamed down in me as I get older but I have a perscibed medication that helps called "duridrin" (I think thats the name) But like any other concern, definately check with his doctor.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Adam,

Do you mean Duradrin? There is information available on this medication HERE

For the information of Forum members, this medication is not available in Canada at this time and is used to treat tension headaches as well as migraine. The pain reliever contained inDuradrin is acetomenophen, the active ingredient used inTylenol.

Adam, read through the reference link above, especially the section on precautions that describe the signs of becoming dependent on this medication. This phenomenon is called rebound headaches, and should be immediately reported to your doctor.

How would you dscribe your headaches, Adam? Are they in the back of the neck, in the forehead on ones side of the head? Do you experience any other discomforts like nausea or vomiting?

Does staying in a dark, quiet room help?

well, I havent taken the headache medication in a while, I actually found that excedrin works better. When I was younger (thats when I got headaches all the time) they seemed to be like a sinus headache. mainly in the eyes, and forehead area. I did tend to get migraines (sorry, really bad speller) for a while but my dad had those and that might have been from him. I dont get those anymore really. other than the pain in my head, I didnt really experience much else from the headaches. I did notice that they were more visuale, meaning alot of movment or bright lights made it worse but sound wasnt that bad. I usually played some sort of soothing music or sound (nature cd's worked very well) and yes, sitting in a dark room would always help. I know now that when I get a bad headache, I need to just relax. Driving is horrible for it, too much moving going on.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Adam,

Being a long time migraine sufferer myself, I can appreciate what you experience!

Sensitivity to light might be a tip off...worthwhile discussing it with your neurologist. He/she may ask you to keep a log, as I dis a few years ago to track the triggers and symptoms

If Excedrin works for you, then so much the better. The only caution would be when using over the counter pain relievers for treating migraine, if you find the headache returns if you stop the medication, you might be experiencing what they call rebound headaches. This is the time to really discuss the situation.

If indeed one suffers from migraine, the class of medications known as "triptans" are very effective in actually aborting the migraine.

>>>(sorry, really bad speller) <<<

If you are using MS Internet Explorer as your browser, look here for info on a good (and free) spell checker plug in.

Default headaches

Herbal tea can be used to treat even migraines. Feverfew is the most popular herb used for treating headaches. Feverfew can be puchased at any herb-health food store. Most herbal teas also have the added benefit of having a relaxing affect on people. If u dont like to drink tisane feverfew can also be purchased in capsule form. Scientific studies done on this herb found it to be as effective as the leading migraine prescription drugs at no where near the cost and without side effects.

Steve,

thanks for the info. Yea, I have mentioned the headaches to my nuerologist but I never really go in depth. I guess I just assumed it was something I would have to deal with just like anyother headache sufferer. But I did not know about the rebound headaches which now that I think of it I am sure I had or have, although my headaches have "calmed"down as I get older. (im 21 now) I still get them but not as frequent but they are still as bad as they used to be and light and movement usually make them worse. I have to see my neuro. again in a couple of months, I will definately bring it up. I remember that she perscibed the duradrin because it didnt have something in it that most overthe counter medication has but it took alot longer to work than excedrine. But also, scott, I will definately try out the herbal tea too. Cant hurt to try. Thanks.