Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Son Started on Strattera for Adhd issues....

Default Son Started on Strattera for Adhd issues....

My son has been on Strattera for 2 weeks and we do notice some improvements but nothing amazing. His throat clearing is to the point that his voice seems hoarse when he clears it. He is not on meds for tics and I am concerned about putting him on all different types of meds.

We were on Adderal XR but it was pulled off the Canadian market. This med was great for Mason as it seemed to get rid of the tics, help anxiety and hyperactivity and inattention. It was amazing for Mason.

Is anyone else on more than one med and what is your experience? Also anyone else on Strattera?

Mason is 6 and also has OCD, ODD, and SID. He has had bouts of depression, but since strattera he seems so positive and much happier!

Sara

Hello! I saw your comments regarding Strattera. Is it now available in Canada? According to Dr. Alan Brown (chief of psychiatry at Oakville hospital) he was awaiting Strattera to be cleared for use in Canada. Something to be considered with TS patients that are being treated for ADHD, is that (in the case of our son) some stimulants can actually cause the patient to become withdrawn and flat in behaviour. Dr. Brown called these his "tri-ad" patients. Our son has ADHD, TS, OCD and LD and is currently on no medications. He is now at a point that his motor and vocal tics are worsening and is getting upset with them (he is eight and half). I believe Chlonidine is the drug first recommended for tics as it has the least side effects. Dr. Paul Sandor was the physician to recommend dosages, etc.

Default Additional Med's

Sara:

Our son is on several med's. He has ADHD, ODD and although has severe symptoms of TS, they are considering it during the diagnosis process.
    He takes Ritalin, Clonidine, Rameron for depression. Unfortunately the Ritalin for the ADHD really does effect the Clonidine for his tics, they just don't seem to work together.
    I've known others that take more then one med but it is important to balance the needs with the reactions. Our son is to be removed from Ritalin and is being considered for another drug. The rameron is not given to children in Canada normally and I am sure it will be adjusted as well.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and mentioning the medication that you have been giving to your son.

Wish you the best
    PJK

Default strattea

MY 13 YEAR OLD SON ALSO STARTED STRATTERA 2 WEEKS AGO. HE HAS TS ADHD & OCD. DR SANDOR PRESCRIBED CLONIDINE AND THAT WORKS MINIMALLY FOR HIS TS SYMPTOMS. BUT SO FAR THERE IS NO OTHER SAFE CHOICE. JUST 2 WEEKS AGO DR.CHORMY ADDED STRATTERA FOR HIS ADHD. HE CLEARLY STATED THAT IS WAS FOR HIS ATTENTION AND FOCUS (AS HE HAS TOUBLES WITH SCHOOLWORK) BUT NEVER MENTIONED THAT IT WOULD HELP WITH TS. MY DEAR SONS TICS ARE WORSNEING AND HE IS HAVING A HARD TIME EVEN WALKING. HE STARTED HIS FIRST JOB TODAY, DELIVERING PAPERS, AND WHAT A STRUGGLE FOR HIM, BUT HE WANTS TO CONTINUE. I HOPE THAT THESE CHILDREN WILL GET SOME RELIEF SOON, WHAT A BURDEN. WELL I HOPE EVERYONE IS WELL AND STILL SMILING

Default homeopathy

YOYO
    Have you thought of trying homeopathy. I've had some success with tic reduction taking a liquid remedy that I apply under my tongue and it gets absorbed right into the bloodsream. Makes me feel calmer, more balanced and able to focus a bit better.
    I've seen a naturopath 3 times who also did some councilling,and much prefer her over regular docs.
    Best to you and your child whichever path is best for you. If you do go the route of drugs please research them fully as there can be some bad side effects.

Scott

As of Febrary 28, 2005 Strattera was released in Canada by Eli Lilly Canada Inc.

Click HERE for information.