Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Immediate worsening of tics when exercising?

Default Immediate worsening of tics when exercising?

Hello to all.
    My family invested in an eliptical trainer around Christmas time to help me with the weight gain due to my medications. But, I have been hesitant to use it because I find that within 3 or 4 min going at the lowest speed, my tics start to get bad. Usually, my tics are quite controlled, but on the machine I notice the "glasses adjusting" and the "forehead tapping" getting worse.
    I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience when exercising?
    Thanks,
    teenwithtics

i have notice that too, everytime i get tired, my tics come back, so i sit down and it goes away, i was wondering if it was normal..

Default exercise and tics

When u start exercising to lose weight do u think that u may be forcing yourself, a little bit, to be doin somethin that u dont really want to do. Some times this increases my tourettes. Maybe doin some exercise that u find really fun and interesting would help. Also when my blood sugar level goes down from doin something that burns alot of energy it really gets my tourettes goin.

I have problems exercising or playing sports. Im not really sure what to say for it but that your not alone with this tic.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Default Exercise

Adam:

You are not alone. Stress in any form can make tic's worse, this I've seen with my own son.
    He prefers riding a bike, he seems free and the speed takes him some where else.
    Try finding something you really enjoy, even if it is a long walk to somewhere you want to visit. It will motivate you to get there and take in your surroundings on the way. Just make sure you bring a bottle of water to stay hydrated.
    I do this and it helps me to relax. I have also lost weight and firmed up because of it.

And also going to talk to a professional that understands TS can really help anyone. There is also a Doctor in Texas that provides a relaxing tape to assist in breathing and controlling the tics. Dr. Phil had him on his website a month ago. Look under family first for more information.

Hope it goes well for you.
    PJK

PJK,

Thanks for the info, I will definately use the tips.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

actually I quite like exercising I actually dont find that....but maybe distract yourself with some music or watch a movie while exercising or the tv.....good luck

I find this one tic I do I do it way more often when I eat

sorry that was me