Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facial Tics - rubbing face

Default Facial Tics - rubbing face

Anyone have a TS child that rubs part of their face?
    Our dd rubs a part of her face daily, leaving red marks and often making the skin bleed. She doesn't seem to be able to stop herself.

Any suggestions?
    Yes, she takes medication but it doesn't help everything and we've tried many medications.
    Tictalkmom
    Being different is special.

Default Rubbing face

Hi
    My 12 yr old son doesn't rub his face, but he scratches the same spot on his scalp to the place where he has a small bald spot. Yesterday he came home from school with a very blue spot on his head where he had been scratching it with a pen. He also can't seem to stop--I think he does it without realizing. Definitely does it more at school than at home.....We haven't tried meds for it yet...I am hoping he will stop before the bald spot gets much larger. If you find something that works, please post it...
    Good luck, and hopefully that tic or OCD will pass soon.
    Lena

Default Facial Tics

Thanks for your reply Lena.
    This particular tic has been going on for over a year now.
    Our dd is taking a medication called "Clonazepam", which helps with anxiety and has anti-tic benefits. It has helped with several of the tics, however it has not been effective with this particular tic.
    Tictalkmom

hello, im sorry if this message is short but im late for the bell...

i personnaly think that the medication cannot stop the facial tick, its stops the verbal toick but it annot stop the facial, that is what i beleive from first hand experience.

I believe there is a variation of TS when a tic becomes self injurious. Some people will cause severe injury to themselves by biting at a particular site for example.

Read more about this behaviour HERE

Clonazepam is the generic name for Rivotril and is a minor tranquilizer in the benzodiazepine class of meds. Other examples of benzodiazepines are Valium, Serax and Ativan.

Benzodiazepines have been found useful in treating obsessive compulsive disorder OCD, and is a treatment strategy often used in treating TS symptoms.

Clonazepam appears to have good results in treating TS related OCD.

Default Thank you Olivier

:D Thanks for your reply Olivier.
    Would like to read more from you on tics.
    My daughter is 15 with several tics. I noticed on the youth forum you are looking for a penpal. I'm sure you and my daughter would have a lot in common.

As a parent, I'm always trying to learn more about Tourettes, and quite often learn alot from other people who have Touretees.

Take care and e-mail me if you would like to consider being penpal with my dd. I will then send her your e-mail so she can reply directly to you.
    Take care.

Tictalkmom (Diane)

:D
    Quote Originally Posted by olivier
    hello, im sorry if this message is short but im late for the bell...

i personnaly think that the medication cannot stop the facial tick, its stops the verbal toick but it annot stop the facial, that is what i beleive from first hand experience.
    :D
    Tictalkmom

My son also has a rubbing gesture where he rubs upward on his nose. He often gets red and sore and currently we have not medicated him. OPour neurologist feels that he doesn't require medication at this time. When have other parents decided that it was time to medicate? Can medications help with rages as well?

Default meds

I have ts with many symptoms including rage. I believe that all the symptoms surrounding ts may come from different sources and that may rage seems to be kept in check when I eliminate sugar and caffiene. I also use homeopathy which can really calm me down right away as it is absorbed under the tongue and into the bloodstream. Also stress and frustration lead me to rage, I'm still workin on takin a time out and breathing.
    Fully researching any meds before taking them is common sense as there can be many side effects with pd prescrption drugs. Do u really want to tranquillize a child before tryin something a little softer and natural.
    Allergy testing can also help to get rid of any foods that may be irritating or stimulating symptoms. :D Scott

>>>Fully researching any meds before taking them is common sense as there can be many side effects with pd prescription drugs. Do u really want to tranquillize a child before trying something a little softer and natural. <<<

Hello Scott!

You're right about researching and learning about medications that might be prescribed. In addition. it's a good idea to look at reputable and scientifically based drug interaction information, to ensure the meds you are prescribed can be taken together, and/or if there are any food or other restrictions with those meds.

Usually medications prescribed for TS are not tranquilizer type medications. Meds used in treating TS are specific to the purpose which is determined by a qualified physician.

Of course, as you allude to, the least amount of medication that achieves the desired therapeutic effect should be the goal.

Would you elaborate on the homeopathic substances you are using and on the benefits you have experienced?

Default homeopathy

Hi Steve

Yeah i didnt know that there were pd prescription drugs specifically for TS but since I,ve given up on pd from really bad experiences I dont think I'll go back to them. Sometimes it does seem a bit like an experiment the way docs hand out pd's.
    Ive been takin homeopathy for a little while, all it really seems to do is calm me down somewhat and allow me to focus on something else. There are many different kinds of homeo but what I'm takin is called Unda 226. My problem is that Ive been self medicating with cannabis for over 20 yrs that I dont really give the homeo a chance on its own. Cannabis worked so well at stopping my tics that the difference was like nite and day. But I dont really advocate its use as it can have side effects. I also consume cannabis now with a docs prescription but I would like to cut down or stop using it and replace it with another natural remedy. If anyone knows of anything natural that has helped with their tics especially coprolalia or aggressive rages I would love to know about them.
    SCott