Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Risperdal and Tardive Dyskenisia

Default Risperdal and Tardive Dyskenisia

Hello,

My son started risperdal a month and a half ago and I have started noticing that is tongue has been going in and out of his mouth. His tongue does not go far past his lips but it is a unusual tongue movement that I have not seen him do before. I noticed it the other day and again tonight. He did it about a dozen times or so. He also has been covering up his mouth recently for long periods of time, i think he has been hiding this from me. I am a little scared as I heard that this med can cause this sort of tic that is not reversable!

Sara

Sara,

Risperidone ( Risperdal ) is a medication frequently prescribed in treating TS. Read about the medication by clicking HERE

The Canadian product monograph is available as a pdf file from Ortho Janssen HERE

The side effect you are concerned about is Tardive Dyskinesia.

Contact your physician to discuss your legitimate concerns, because to recognize Tardive Dyskinesia requires medical expertise.

We do know that TS motor tics come and go, and new and different tics develop over time. This is not to say your concern should not be investigated, but might be one explanation.

Let us know the outcome of your inquiry.

How old is your son and how long has he been diagnosed with TS?

Thank you for all the info. My son is 8 and he was diagnosed in April 2005. I've noticed tics since Kindergarten but thought him to be fidgety and that's all. Once school became more difficult and he became more irritable I became very concerned and was referred to a pediatrician by my family doctor. The teachers at school also expressed their concern.

My daughter did a school paper on disorders and her project was on tourettes syndrome and asked me if it was possible that her brother had tourettes and of course I told her she was wrong. Months later he was diagnosed by his pediatrician.

At the moment my son is taking clonidine but risperodol might be better for him. I'll let you know.

Thank you again.

Catia,

If you would like some insights into clonidine, check here for this Forum posting containing some resources and discussion.

[quote]
    At the moment my son is taking clonidine but risperodol might be better for him. I'll let you know
    The decision to medicate or not and/or to change medication should be made jointly with your son, his physicians and following intensive research by you on the proposed medications.

It comes down to benefits vs risks, and making choices that will allow for the quality of life your son desires.

Please do keep us posted on your progress, and feel free to share with us your thoughts and feelings about the process.

Our Forum members are here to help, and your experience will offer insight for those beginning their journey.

Also if you need help researching any of the proposed medications, let us know. We may be able to help by suggesting ways to make your searches most productive.

Regards

Thank you for all your support and yes I will keep you posted on our decisions in the future. You have all been so helpful to me so far and it is comforting to me to get your replies and all your wonderful words of support and understanding.

catia67

At the moment my son is taking clonidine but risperodol might be better for him. I'll let you know.
    Hi Catia, just wondering if you made the switch?
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Hi. No not yet. We increased his clonidine but I think I will try the other. We go back to the doctor on August the 18th.

I expressed some of my concerns to the doctor regarding the new meds and she reassured me that they would benefit my son. She also said if I need more time to make my decision that that was fine and she said she doesn't want me to feel pressured into doing it. When I speak to my son about trying the new meds his only concern is if he will be able to chew it and not have to swallow it.

I'll let you how the next visit goes.

Thank you so much for caring.
    Catia67

Your son's physician appears to be a compassionate and caring professional.

We'll be looking forward to hearing about your progress.

In the meantime, feel free to join in any of our ongoing discussions!

Regards,

When I speak to my son about trying the new meds his only concern is if he will be able to chew it and not have to swallow it.
    Kids are kids...same concerns my 7y old has. If you make the decision to switch, this drug comes in tablet form as well as liquid just in case there is concern around his ability to swallow tablets.

I look forward to your update.

On a side note, I have been trying to gather information about parents experiences with childcare for their TS kids. If you have had childcare of any kind, then would you mind sharing your experiences in the parents forum?

Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Fortunately for me and my children I have always had family members available for babysitting while my husband and I are away at work or when I attend classes. I have never had to go outside the family for child care. I'm sure it would be a difficult situation. I have extended family members who I'm sure cringe at the thought of having to babysit my son.

Thank heavens there are those who find him wonderful and don't mind looking after him for us.

My mother and late mother-in-law have always been wonderful. I don't know what I would have done all these years without them. My sister-in-law (my husband's sister has always offered to babysit as well).