Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tourette on TV

Default Tourette on TV

Over the years Tourette Syndrome has been portrayed in varying forms of authenticity on TV programs. Have you seen any of these? Which program was it and what was your impression?

There have been documentaries aired on TS as well. Which ones do you recall, and did you happen to record it? Which program was it?

If you know of any coming up, please post a notice on the Forum, with the date of airing in the Subject Title of your posting.

Default Tourette on TV

I cant really recall any specific program but most of the time when I hear people talk about it on TV and radio, it seems to me its almost a joke of a disorder. Now, I have grown to just let it in one ear and out the other but I fear for families and younger kids dealing with it for they may feel there is no support out there or people will just make fun of them. I havent seen a doc. on TS. But, yea its kind of sad how the world portrays TS. "the swearing disorder", thats how I get people to first think of it, and I dont even have coprialia (spelling?)
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Default Tourette on TV

i saw it on deuce bigalo male gigalo.. or something like that... the girldidnt stop swearing.. :evil:

Default Tourette on TV

>>>and I dont even have coprialia (spelling?)<<<

Adam,

The term is Coprolalia which is well defined HERE.

You are quite right in that a stereotype descrption of TS by the uninformed is that ot's a swearing disorder. It is said that this manifestation is seen in about 30% of Touretters.

I recall one program on PBS on an episode of POV (Point of View) which accurately and sensitively portrayed TS. I wish I had recorded it!

Discovery Health also has an episode they air from time to time, but I wonder if there is anything recent??

Default Tourette on TV

>>> I saw it on deuce bigalo male gigalo.. <<<

Olivier,

This is a program I don't believe I have ever seen. Can you tell us more about it and how TS was portrayed? Was it depicted in a way to demean the person acting the part of a person with TS or do you think they were showing how it really is in real life?

Default Tourette on TV

I own a movie, called 'The Tic Code', which is an excellent movie, and accurately portrays TS in a sensitive way, while having a (for the most part) great story line. I really enjoyed it. The main characters are a little boy and a well known musician, both with TS.
    Mind you, after I finished watching it, I just exploded with tics, and the severety didn't let off for about an hour. I had read somewhere that when you watch somebody else tic, it will get your tics going. I hadn't really believed it, but watching this movie proved that it was true.

Another movie that portrays TS and OCD is 'Matchstick Men'. I don't like the conclusion, as it makes it look like TS and OCD are just psychological, and stress related. It's an interesting movie, but whoever made it doesn't have any real understanding of TS. It makes it look like people can just stop having tics and be perfectly normal if their psychological problems are dealt with.
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Default Tourette on TV

'The Tic Code'
    Sounds interesting, will keep an eye open for it.

A few years ago there were several U.S. network programs portraying TS, all in a sympathetic way. Probably the TS association PR people succeeded in placing a bug in the ear of a few producers.

I haven't seen much lately though. I managed to record one documentary a couple of years ago from one of the networks.

I had read somewhere that when you watch somebody else tic, it will get your tics going.
    I am not sure if there is hard evidence to support that claim, Uschi. Another suggestion is that a person with TS may copy the tics of another person with TS, which I do not believe is supported by the evidence.

Another possibility is that you became so absorbed in the movie the stress resulted in increased tic activity.

Would be interested in other points of view.

Default Tourette on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Steve CDN
    Another possibility is that you became so absorbed in the movie the stress resulted in increased tic activity.
    I get very absorbed in a lot of things that interest me (a typical Asperger thing), and they never get my tics going. And I definitely didn't copy any tics, the tics that boy had were very different from mine. I just exploded with the tics I usually have. Most of the time I have only one at a time, but I had to do several at once after that movie.
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Default Tourette on TV

November 2005 , HBO will air a documentary about TS called

I Have Tourette's but Tourette's Doesn't Have Me.

I encourage you to watch this movie and learn more about TS and if you have recording capability, make a tape or DVD to pass along to a friend.

Click Here for More information

Default RE: Tic code

I have the movie The Tic Code also, it really is a pretty good movie. It stars Gregory Hines. I read that Lowell Handler who wrote the book and narrated the documentary Twitch and Shout was a still photographer and assisted in other ways on that movie. I sure enjoyed Twitch and Shout also, I think after watching that movie I felt for the first time in my life that having Tourette's could be viewed as a positive thing and something that is part of who I am. I used to wish desparately for a cure but after watching that film it caused me to wonder what I might lose along with the Tourette's. Seeing the way that the people in the documentary dealt with it made me feel stronger.

As far as the ticcing while watching it, I had the same experience watching both the movie and the documentary, and for a few hours afterwards. This happens whenever I am reading a book about Tourette's too. I am not sure why this happens but I think it is pretty common. I have heard when large groups of people with TS get together they tend to set off more tics in each other also.

Margaret