Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most Frequent Tics?

Default Most Frequent Tics?

What are the most frequent tics you've noticed in either yourself or the person you are concerned about? Is there a common tic we might expect to see from one person with TS to another, or is every person unique in their repertoire of tics?

Are there more motor tics than vocal tics or are they about equal?

From what I have read up on tourettes, the tic vary from person to person. I noticed my vocal tic have clamed greatly as I have gotten older but my motor tic are either the same or even worse. But, there may be some "typical" tics out there but I think it really can differ from person to person.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Default Most frequent tics

Hi
    My son has gone through quite a few different tics since he was diagnosed at age 7. He is now 12.

He started with throat clearing, then head jerking, his arm will suddenly jerk out (I've been hit accidentally a few times), head scratching, picking his ear til it is raw, hitting himself in the stomach. His latest is sticking out his tongue.These have been some of the motor tics....

He has found the vocal tics far harder to deal with. He has a stuttering tic, where he gets hung on one sound and he just can't get it out.
    The worst vocal tic was when he muttered constantly. He couldn't quit talking. (This one was bad news in school.) It hasn't gone away entirely, but it is much better.

Sometimes his voice changes in pitch and sounds really weird. It sounds extremely fake, and his teacher has a hard time accepting that he isn't doing it on purpose. Another vocal tic he has had is gasping--it sounds like he is gasping for breath, it sounds very alarming. He quits as soon as you bring his attention to what he is doing.

His tics come and go. Some days we hardly notice anything---and other days, they are really bad. Definately, worse at high stress times. But there are days when he wakes up having a bad tic day.......As he is getting older, he realizes when he is ticcing. He used to get really bothered by the fact that he couldn't stop doing something. Now he says, I think it's a tic. We find that the more we ignore them, the faster they seem to leave. He doesn't usually have very many tics at one time.

Right now he is on no medication except for Dexedrine for ADHD. With him, it doesn't seem to make any difference with his tics.

I have found it interesting to note at the Tourette's Clinic how I can recognize tics in some of the other children that we have met. Some of their actions are so familiar---

Lena

Hi Lena!

We find that the more we ignore them, the faster they seem to leave.
    Your finding appears to support what most authorities suggest, that drawing attention to specific behaviour makes it more difficult for the person having TS to avoid it.

his teacher has a hard time accepting that he isn't doing it on purpose
    Consider contacting the TSFC National Office to obtain for your son's teacher an excellent resource package designed for teachers. In order to make a comfortable environment for your son in school, his teachers and fellow students need to understand TS and learn how to assit your son to integrate without viewing him as a disruption.

Many of the tics you have described probably sound very familiar to others with TS. The need to force various muscle functions to their limit,like arm extensions, high pitched squeals or breathing at abnormal rates are several common tics.

Have you ever discussed with your son what it feels like for him when he needs to satisfy one of his tics?

Sometimes this kind of conversation can help you gain insight into his thinking dynamics plus he may find a greater comfort level "in his own skin" by being allowed to verbalize his TS to a trusted confidant.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

I have a lot of tics, and they seem to come and go. I think the one I started with was throat clearing (which wasn't noticed as it was considered a normal thing to do) at the age of five or six. The one my mother noticed was rapid eye blinking when I was about seven. I remember, because she constantly told me to stop that annoying eye blinking, "what an awful nervous habit!"

And those two are still the ones which are almost always there.
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Default common tiks

My most common and noticable tik is knuckle krakin. I do it all the time and when I'm with other people. Some didnt like it when I was growin up but now people rarely comment on it. Thats what I consider my 'lucky' tik. My bad tik is coprolalia which I never do in front of people. I'm way too scared to let anyone see me cursing out loud. I've wondered since I was a teen what affect it would have on me if someone videoed me while I was cursing without my knowledge and then showed it to me. I think I would just find a more secluded space to relieve it. I dont know. :?

Hi all. My son's first noticeable tic was the sniffing. I thought he was doing it just to torment me. Then came along the head jerks, the once in a while his chest muscles would tightenen up and quiver. So one day I was talking to a chat pal in one of the game rooms, and he told me his son was doing the same thing.
    So I asked him what made them do it and he told me that his son has TS. So a few days later my son had a doctor appointment to get a recheck where he got ADD, so I mentioned it to his doctor what my friend had told me. Sure enough he had TS. But at least now I know what caused it. Lately he's been having vocal tics also. He could be watching tv or doing his homework then he would just come right out of the blue making the noises and whooing all the time. It's been almost 2 yrs now since he was diagnosed with TS, so I'm sorta getting use to it now. But like the others say , when one gets use to a movement or a sound, another one pops up too.

My son's first noticeable tic was the sniffing
    It seems a common tic in many people with TS involves some form of sniffing. Perhaps it has to do with breathing being something our bodies do a large percentage of the time, and the need to tic follows the path of least resistance.

What about the redirection of tics? To what extent do people with TS redirect a tic when in public so that the release of energy can be more socially acceptable than the original tic?

He still does it , but passes it off as being stuffed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve CDN
    What about the redirection of tics? To what extent do people with TS redirect a tic when in public so that the release of energy can be more socially acceptable than the original tic?
    Well, if for instance in church I feel like I need to twirl my hair (which would be very noticeable to the people behind me) I might twirl a piece of Kleenex in my lap instead. It isn't quite as satisfying, but will be good enough for the time being.

But sometimes when I try to redirect a tic, I end up feeling like I am going to explode! It's not a pleasant feeling.
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).