Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Neve Campbell--Tourette Movie

Default Neve Campbell--Tourette Movie

Neve Campbell the actress who was involved in an awareness campaign for Tourette Syndrome is making a movie about Tourette -

Her younger brother Damien, now 24 has TS.

In March 2005 it was reported the actress is putting $1.9 million of her own money into the film 'A Private War' to raise awareness of the syndrome. .

She recently announced other members of her family have Epilepsy, and she is now involved in a campaign to eliminate the stigma attached to that disorder.

Are you familiar with her work, and have you seen any of the products of her awareness campaigns?

I have known that her brother has had TS for a while and I knew she was active in getting people aware of the disorder. I had watched the little clip of her talking about TS (I think it was on this web site but I dont remember). But I havent heard much lately. But than again, its not the top story on most news broadcasts list. Everyone talks about cancer and AID, and with no disrespect to any one with one of those, they arent the only disease/disorders out there affecting people. In fact, I would like to see some statistics on some disease/disorders of people affected in the world or just north america and then see what ones are most talked about. I know cancer is a big one but I wonder if there is another disorder or something affecting people more yet its always, "send money and support for people with AIDs". I can tell you right now, diabetes (spelling) affects way more than most diseases yet its still growing with its awarness.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

The clip you saw, Adam, could well have been on the TSFC site because they were involved in an awareness program with TSFC a while back. I was absent from TSFC for a few years, so I don't know if the program is still going on.

TS has never been a "glamor" disorder (and I say that respectfully) like the big name fund raisers like cancer...as you correctly stated.

The fact is TS doesn't even get much emphasis in medical training, so awareness among health professionals is sometimes limited.

If there are only a small number of doctors interested in TS, then there will be a small amount of research and pharmaceutical companies won't invest in TS research because it's a low payback disorder, compared to arthritis or diabetes which affects large percentages of the population.

Your point is well taken, and emphasizes the importance of each one of us affected by TS to be supporting local TS resources.

Sorry if I came off angry. I meant no offense to anyone with any disease/disorder, just puzzles me on how little anyone really know about TS and related disorders. Again, I apologize if I sounded angry.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Well, it's no suprise that awareness of Tourette's is either non-existant, or skewed.

The only mainstream references to Tourette's I can think of are movies like Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo and Not Another Teen Movie which potray TS as pure coprolalia. While that's an aspect of TS for some people, it certainly generates some misunderstandings about the disorder.
    Colin

hey
    i just watched the movie "how to lose a guy in ten days" and there is a 2-second reference to tourettes. for anyone who has seen the movie, it is at the beginning of the scene where they visit ben's parents

Default Tourettes Movie

Has there been any further update on the release of this movie being made by Nieve Campbell???

Keep us informed.
    How about updates on the TSFC website???

I look forward to hearing more. What a great opportunity this will be to teach others about TS.
    Tictalkmom
    Being different is special.

Hi there

I haven't heard of any updates on the movie. Steve is away for a few days perhaps he'll have something to share when he returns. I'm glad you are looking forward to new updates. We have been working on some new projects to update our BB so stay close and keep watching. As they become completed we will get them activated. Have you considered posting an avatar to personalize your user name?
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

The information on production is unclear from the searches I made. There is a suggestion production started August 1.

You may wish to do a Google search for "Neve Campbell Fan Club" (without the quotations. There will be a number of hits where the information may be available. If you get some specifics, would you share it with us?

I am glad to hear Neve is stepping up again. Her family, genetically speaking, must be a mess. Just like mine - ha ha. I can not list all the genetic proclivities I have to worry about as I get older.

Other diseases: Tourette's is gaining awareness. I am hearing about TS jokes in movies and on the radio all the time now. Let them - it is easier to correct an error than to have to tell the whole story from scratch. Right? And besides, I'd rather have TS than something fatal, any day.

Jumpin' Jack Flash (very subtle, funny)
    The Wedding Singer (very, very funny - is Adam Sandler related to a Touretter?)
    What About Bob ? (not tacky, just not funny)
    Niagara, Niagara (oh, please - shoot the writer)
    Quincy (old show)
    L.A. Law (not quite so old show)
    The Practice (not old show)

Don't forget - in a Hollywood movie, especially a comedy, if the audience ain't heard about it - they would not put it in there - because it would somehow reduce the profits... No, really. How many jokes do you see in movies about polio these days? 0. You know why? Nobody has it.

As for Deuce Bigelow, I have to say, I LOVED the Tourette's moment. He figured out how to make her coprolalia not only normal, but WELL ACCEPTED. Rent it - enjoy it. The point is not that she is typical of TS, but that ANYTHING can be brought into an accepting environment. Anyone going to Montreal in October can tell you - being in a hotel FULL of TS folks for a weekend, well, it hurts (tic wise) but it is so cool to be NORMAL for a short while.

(sorry if I am ranting)
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger