Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Question!

Default Weird Question!

Ok, this may sound wierd but I will ask it anyways. I have known about my TS my whole life and yet even though Im 21 now, I still find myself doing things I assumed were normal or "just me" only later on to find out it was because of my TS. I didnt know but some people actually have a tic of starring. I noticed that I tend to stare too. Its funny cause when I do it, Im actually still thinking of whatever I was thinking before, but its like my eyes need to be fixed on something or someone moving. (or maybe Im just really wierd, lol). But there are some other ones I cant remember right now but I always thought was nothing but am finding out that it may be TS. My question I guess is, does anyone have any strange tics, probably not a motor tic or twitch I guess, that either they didnt know it was cause of their TS or just a weird tic period? I did have another one where I would put my right finger on the beck of my right ear for a secong, and that was it, but over and over and over. I also have this thing where if lets say a sprinkle of water hits my right arm, I have to have that same feeling on my left are so I end up almost licking my left arm just to get that feeling.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Default Weird Question!

Hi Adam,

Based on presentations I have heard on TS, there may be two things going on.

First some of the behaviors you describe like staring or touching your ear may be obsessions. If your physician indeed diagnoses obsessive compulsive behavior, it is usually treated with the class of medications known as SSRI's or Specific Seretonin Re-uptake Inhibitors which have been found effective in helping some Touretters with compulsions.

Examples of SSRI's would be Paxil and Zoloft among others.

Second, TS frequently demands symmetrical behavior...much like you describe where the right arm needs the same kind of stimulus the left arm received.

No you are not wierd, and you have asked some very good questions.

Isn't TS interesting?

Default Weird Question!

lol, yea, its intresting alright. I have to admit, when Im not in a tic outburst, I can look at some of the things I do and almost laugh, just because they seem so wierd. Again, thats when Im calm, they are not so funny to do, lol. But TS has definately helped me to be more understanding with the world in general. I dont just assume of a first impression, there may be a good reason a person does the things they do.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Default Weird Question!

Adam, those could be either tics or compulsions. But if they don't really interfere with your life or making you miserable, I wouldn't consider taking psychotropic drugs like Paxil or Zoloft for it. It would be like shooting with canons at mosquitoes!
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Default Weird Question!

Uschi,

Though I agree if one can get by without meds, they may be better off, using one of the new SSRI's in the right dosage can be a great help. These new medications are relatively benign and have been shown to be effective in the treatement of depression and in some cases OCD's.

Default Weird Question!

Actually, my research indicates that they are anything but benign, and should be used with extreme caution. Here is a link you may want to explore, to get more information on SSRIs.
    http://www.google.com/custom?cof=AH%...RIs&sa2=Search
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Default shooting mosquitos with cannons

Uschi
    I like your analogy of treating ts symptoms with certain drugs as being like shooting mosquitos with cannons. It seems to fit .
    I think that one of the worst symptoms of ts is its lack of acceptance. Funny, most people who have this 'symptom' dont even have ts. If we could just accept most of the problems with ts then we could accept ourselves as well as others and get on with our lives. I understand some are a real danger to themselves or to others and may need some medication but there is just too much evidence indicating the dangers of prescription drugs and there are also many natural remedies that are rarely talked about and have little or no side effects. My analogy for taking drugs has been it is like playing western medicine roulette but thats just my opinion.
    My favourite medication is meditation.
    Best wishes

Default Weird Question!

well, these "weird" tics dont really affect my life in a bad way really but with them I have other tics that do so it just plain sucks. Im on the theory (again, my opinion, not fact) is that yes medications have some nasty side affects but tend to be "easier" for me to take and some have done the jobe the best. (pemizide- probably spelled wrong, sorry) I do a mixture of both and beliueve both have a blance of pros and cons. Again, just my opinion.

Default symptoms

Hi Adam
    If you dont mind talking about your tics I was wondering what the bad ones are that u do take meds for. I have coprolalia that is mixed with anger or rage so I take something strong for it. When I was only 17 my doc gave me nortryptaline then amytryptaline both really screwed me up. At this time in my life I was also really unhappy an started to experiment with other drugs. One was cannabis which I noticed stopped my cursing and took away the rage. I now have a prescription for cannabis from my doc and research has been coming out for a couple of years now on cannabis and ts but I personally dont recommend it as it has some side effects. Even though I dont recommend it, from my own experience goin back over twenty yrs, I prefer cannabis over the risk of tryin another chemical prescription drug. Again just my opinion as everyone has to make their own choice with the evidence, what is best for them.

Default Weird Question!

Well, I guess to be honest, I just take the meds, its just when Im having a tic attack of small tics, I try non meds to calm me down. When its a bigger attack with more "nasty" tics, I than take some extra meds. (my nuerologist approved my personal upping of dosage from time to time, do not do this without consulting your nuerologist or pharmascist) Anyway, you asked what my "bad" tics are. Hmmmmmm, I guess I could just explain a few of how they feel or what they do. My most notiable and painful was my head twitch. I would jerk my head to the right real quick and voilently. Umm, I have a stomach twitch where I clench my stomach muscles and and breath in until pain sets in and then release. I tore my PCL a year ago and now I have to flex my leg straight out but only when Im sitting or driving. I had one where I would twist my back while driving. When I sit in my car to drive I have to hold my breath and do a series of twitchs before I can start the car. I tend to always clench my fingers and toes. I crunch my nose alot. Funny though most of my tics only affect my left side of my body, left arm, leg, fingers. Not sure why. There have been many more but I cant remember them all. Most of these as you can see are motor tics. I havent had a true vocal tic in years. But I do have pschycological tics, like starring or other tics that may be considered OCD. Again, these are just the tics I can rmemeber off the top of my head.