Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I? "an Insomniac or Sleep deprived?"

Default What am I? "an Insomniac or Sleep deprived?"

People with TS often complain about difficulty sleeping. Some report they are exhausted and just can't fall asleep. Waking can then be difficult due to sleep deprivation.

What has been your experience falling asleep and remaining asleep? What do you do to get a good night's sleep? What have you tried to get going in the morning?
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Well there Janet
    If youve been readin my posts u can probably guess what I use for goin to sleep, funny its also what I use first thing in the morning to calm me down. In the morning my body is too tired but my mind is racing and thinking about things I'd rather not. If I can get myself up first thing and go eat right away I'm usually good in the morning. Its when I dont eat right away that I might start tikn badly. I find that tisane can help me sleep. It doesnt even have to be a kind that is known for helping me sleep as all tisane relaxes me. Cammomile, catnip, valarian are 3 common types that r known for helping people sleep but dont drink too much before bed or it'll have the opposite effect and keep wakin u up :lol:

Sweet Dreams

Hi Scott

Thanks for sharing.

Some OT(Occupational Therapists) talk about "brain gym" exercises. They are a series of short exercises...not cardio ... to get you focused and grounded.

Have you ever heard of "brain gym" exercises? If you have what have been your experiences with using them? Have you tried them to get your day started?
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

I envy people who can lie down, turn over and presto! fall asleep.

That has never been my experience, and the more I am stimulated by late evening driving, or some other modeartely stressful activity I have difficulty falling asleep.

Physicains tell us that difficulty falling asleep is usually due to tension, stress and anxiety, so strategies to cut down on these factors would be the key.

I'd like to learn more about the brain gym exercises.

Whenever I try to fall asleep I have to either listen to music on my headphones or something to relax me. I always take at least 45 to an hour or more to fall asleep, and thats on a good day, lol. But getting up isnt hard for me. In fact, I have another problem that if I sleep for too long I get headaches when I wake. I have to always set my alarm for either 9 or 9:30 even on days I dont have to get up early at all just so I dont sleep too long and get headaches but I have noticed that now I naturally get up around 9:30. Its almost like my body has accepted I wont sleep in.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

I don't have too much of a problem falling asleep... but my sleeping patterns are erratic.

If I'm working on something before bed, though, I do have a hard time winding down, and I need to listen to music or something to relax.

It's getting up that's hard for me, sometimes. I'll get up, but I have a hard time being mentally awake in the morning. It takes a while.
    Colin

I have some information on "brain gym" exercises that many have said is stimulating and help get your day started. Stay tuned as I gather the info together and I'll post it this week.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

Cailean

It's getting up that's hard for me, sometimes. I'll get up, but I have a hard time being mentally awake in the morning. It takes a while.
    Perhaps you would like to do a little reading on Brain Gym exercises. My oldest son was a nightmare to get stimulated and alert in the mornings when he was younger. He couldn't get to sleep at night and then we all paid the price in the mornings. We just couldn't get him going and mornings became very stressful. I am very much like him. Once introduced to these exercises it made a big difference in getting our day started. I had to do the exercises with him to get him to do them and then I realized how they were impacting me. That sense of balance and alertness was great.

Keep an open-mind and remember the only commitment it will take is about 15 minutes a day. If you are interested in researching what it is all about or want to explore this option then click here
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

i have problems sleeping too,have done since and early age,i would stay up at night when everyone else was in bed and watch telly,listen to music, have never been to bed before midnight unless i was ill,i still go to bed around 1-2 am and then i find it very difficult to get up in the mornings to get the kids to school,
    i have suffered insomnia at times and have needed to take sleeping pills to knock me out,i remember not sleeping for 6 nights,and often it has been 3 -4 nights with no sleep,i would just lay there all night until the sun came up,
    i also wake up at the slightest noise,and i toss and turn alot too,must be a nightmare for my poor hubby,but then he snores so i cant sleep anyway,

talking of brain gym...
    i did a "touch for health" course last year,which is like a basic kinesiology course and we did brain gym each lesson,i dont know if this is the same but it is basically using opposites,like kids do at school,left leg out right arm out at the same time and then swap,right knee up left arm up then switch but do it quite fast,it was a laugh, :D
    i didnt go on to do the next part of the course because i found it very hard to touch people,lol,i didnt think i would mind but it bothered me and i didnt like it,although the course was very interesting
    im waffling on now,it is near midnight and the brain is starting to shut down
    so i will shut up
    jo

Jo you are very funny! hahaha!

Is this where you got your name....midnight? I too am awake till all hours and struggle with waking on time. If you see many of my posts they are early in the am and if you compare your time zone to EST time, then add 1.5 hours for Newfoundland... in my younger days ie less than 30 ;) I would be able to go for 2 days straight and not sleep and carry on with my daily routine... as I get older (or "more interesting" I like to tell people) I really feel useless when I don't sleep for 4-5 hours. Most nights that's the max I sleep.

As for Brain gym they are exercises like you described. Did you check out the link I posted? the series of exercises help give your system balance and stimulate your brain, etc. Someof them are simple "belly breathing" exercises to get grounded. they only take a few minutes. the ones I am familiar with are done on your own... no touching. These were taught through Occupational therapy sessions at our childrens hospital.

We have fun with them when I can get the kids focused...hummm that's a struggle alone... 4 boys... lots of energy in my house :roll: :D
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage