Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "I would be more productive at work if ..."

Default "I would be more productive at work if ..."

Many times Adults with TS do not want to tell their boss or co-workers that they have TS. It is often the misunderstanding which causes isolation or difficulties in the workplace.

What has been your experience with fitting into your work environment? What do you think employers should know? How would you finish this statement, ""I would be more productive at work if ..."?
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

....I had a job, just kiddin :lol: . I'm on a disability pension rite now but I'm hopin to take some courses or find a part time job sometime soon. I had to work basically alone and Ive only had one job last a year and I worked alone at it.

My situation only began affecting my work recently. I talked to my boss about it, and he was very accomodating. I'm talking to my doctor and working through various medications, so it's a transitional phase right now. Lately I've been extremely anxious in the office, and have had a harder time controlling or redirecting tics.

But today, I'm working from home. Fortunately my job allows for it quite easily. The only other person here is my fianc?e, and she's quite comfortable with my tics.

Edit: So I'd say either:

"...if I could always work from home."

or

"...if I had my own office."

...neither of which are likely to happen, though.
    Colin

Cailean

The recent change you describe. was there a specific incident that triggered this. Anxiety is often paralyzing when at work. are you in a situation where you can "escape"? I call it "Needing white space!" when I'm at work. I leave the situation and go for a 10-15 minute walk to regroup.

I think it is great that you have a boss who is so accomodating. Is there any info you feel he could use to help him during this phase?
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

No specific incident... just a buildup in stress over the past several months, I think.

I do occasionaly 'escape' when I can, but it's not that often that I'm able to get up and walk away from my desk for more than a few seconds.

As for my boss, I just gave him an overview of what TS was, and explained my situation for him. I also gave him links to a couple of sites about TS, if he wanted to know more.
    Colin

Many companies recognize the need for a positive employee experience and most understand that a happy employee is more productive.

If we could put together a "Q and A" for Employers, what do you think they would ask? Any ideas on what they may want to know about strategies/accommodations that could easily be implemented?
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

Well, I am very outgoing and I can walk into any department and see someone and start a conversation so I dont think TS has hampered my social life but because Im am a talkative person, I tic around people and then need to explain myself. Most if not everyone at my job is understanding about it and you find out quickly that you probably arnt the only one at your work with a disorder or disease or soemthing not "normal". But I will say, sometimes if I could work from home (Im a salesman, so that may not work, lol) I would. I admit sometime I feel uncomfortable talking about it with people but for the most part I think most people are understanding.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Hey Adam

I am really interested in getting some feedback on what info should go into a Q&A for employers. I may have an opportunity to put one together for the TSFC. I know you are out in the workforce and you indicated that TS doesn't affect you socially so I was wondering what you think the Employers would want to know if they had someone on their team with TS. The idea would be to provide them with all the things they need or should know so that TS employees wouldn't have to go through the discomfort of having to explain so much... to relieve that feeling of being uncomfortable especially when being new to a job is stressful enough even for "normies". Then if there was anything that came up that was discussed in the Q&A then at least the employee has the comfort of knowing their employer has the info. Does that make sense?

Anyway, if anyone has anything that you could share from your experiences or from experiences of others you know, then perhaps we could get a brain storm of ideas going.

Looking forward to your thoughts
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

My first thought would be that this would be really hard. Because people with TS are so different, it would be hard to address all possible problems. I would also worry that my employer, while reading something, would come across something that does NOT fit me but may somehow fixate on it.

I guess I would primarily want a Q&A that stresses how different people with TS are, just like people without TS are different, and not to generalize. ?

That's a good point. There is so much info available on TS/TS+, the thought behind the Q&A was to determine what of all that info would be priority to share with an employer... the most common obstacles.

In my career I have struggled with the impulse control and the need to be compliant to the point that I was not able to be flexible/accommodating. Obviously the ADHD and OCD causing the interference since my tics are mild and only present when anxious.

My interest is also in whether there is a need to even offer such a resource.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage