Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just popping in to say Hi

Default Just popping in to say Hi

Hi All. I'm not new to tourette's, but I am new to this site. I'm 42 and live in the Ottawa area. and live with Tourette's. If any one know's of any new meds that have come out for Tourette's, please let me know. I'm on nothing right now, i've pretty much given up on meds, everything i have tried have turned me in to a zomby. Well, my vocals and body twitches are getting bad, that i'm now open to trying anything new that might have come out in the market. Well, I'll leave it at that, and hope 2 hear back from some one soon. Bye 4 now.

Greg.

Hello Greg!

Welcome to the TS Forum. Good to have another member from OW!!

As you well know the chances of a medication being developed specifically for TS is unlikely, so the challenge for physicians is to find medications normally used for other disorders that have beneficial effects in controlling some of the manifestations of TS.

You are quite right that many medications currently in use for TS are more difficult to deal with than the disorder itself.

It all comes down to benefits of the med in the way it might improve one's quality of life vs the inconveniences of the possible side effects.

Do you feel you would do better in day to day activities if some of your TS manifestations could be controlled or suppressed or are you able to function comfortably without medication?

Have you ever attended any of the TSFC Ottawa Chapter meetings?

Hope you enjoy the TS Forum and that you might become a regular participant.

Default Hi Steve.

Thx 4 getting back to me. And yes I have gone to an Ottawa TS meeting, I,ve been a few times and found them not to be very helpful, reason being, every meeting i've gone to, there always talking about there kids that have TS and what can be done for there kids, and how can we help our kids get through school, Well, thats good and all, but that doesnt help me as an adult living with TS. Parents are looking 4 ways and answers to help there kids, witch is all good, but remember, kids will grow up to be adults, and we as an adult also are looking 4 help.

Greg,

I would defer to someone involved in planning meetings in Ottawa to address your specific question.

From my own experience in planning support meetings in another city was that parents whose child is recently diagnosed with TS need immediate assistance and support information.

Having been diagnosed late in life myself, I understand the need for support for adults.

What recommendations for topics would you make for meetings that would address adult needs?

Hi Greg:

I am involved with the Ottawa meetings. We got feedback a couple of years ago about including some adult topics on our schedule. For the last two years we have been including two or three support groups a year that deal with adult topics, including employment issues, adult ADHD, relationships, etc. We also have had speakers on several topics that apply to both adults and kids.

Additionally, every two months we have an open support meeting where any topic can be discussed. This includes adult issues. The topics are driven by the people attending.

Keep an eye on the Ottawa chapter website this fall for a list of our topics. Also, if you have suggestions for topics you would like covered, please let us know. The volunteers that put the meetings together are always trying to include topics that of interest to our community.

cotw - Ottawa

Default I'll keep my peepers open

:shock: I'll watch 4 any up comming avents. And Steve right now I'm having a problem just getting out. I did have a doctor stop by my place the other night, ( a doctor that still makes house calls.. how nice ) He's looking into getting me something that will help me controll my vocals and body twitches, untill then I dont go anywhere.

What a compassionate physician you have Greg!

Are you having difficulty getting out because you are bothered by your tics or because you have difficulty with crowds and open spaces outside your home?

What do you do for your groceries and supplies?

Default HI STEVE

getting back 2 you there on what I do about grocerys, I don't realy do any kind of big shopping, when my gf is in town, we will drive and I do a large shopping and i buy everything in Bulk, witch lasts longer. or I do have a good friend that lives a few doors down that shops once a week, and she has all her groserys delivered, so if i need anything she will just have it delivered 2 her place. yes it's kinda rough right now not being able 2 get out long enough 2 get things done, but I'm hoping that i can get on to a med that will let me get out more then I am now. Thx 4 asking.

Greg,

It sounds like you have some great support among your friends. Please keep us posted on your progress after speaking to your physician.

It will be important to make it clear to your doctor that you are unable to comfortably go out of your home. It helps to make notes prior to your doctor appointment where you can write down a description of the feelings you get when you would like to go out and cannot.

Sometimes its hard to remember exactly how you felt when asked in the doctor's office, but if you keep a diary and write down your thoughts when it happens, the information can be helpful to your doctor in more accurately diagnosing your condition.

Have you considered contacting any of the social help agencies like the VON, that might be able to assist you when your friends might not be available?

Default Hi Steve

No I haven't thought about VON, but if worse comes to worse I'll keep them in mind Thx.