Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

View Poll Results: Is the term "Touretter" referring to a person with Tourette Syndrome is offensive?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 32.39%
  • No

48 67.61%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the term "Touretter" offensive?

Default Is the term "Touretter" offensive?

Do you think using the word "Touretter" to refer to a person with Tourette Syndrome is offensive? Answer our poll and let us know.

Is there another name that you would prefer people use?
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

I don't find it offensive. Don't know about how it sounds though... maybe we can think of something cooler. :p
    Colin

Default Good ?

Cathy
    I think that is an excellent ?. I dont find it necessarily offensive while at the same time I dont really like labels or the sound of touretter that much. I'm kinda undecided so I didnt vote yet, but if I do vote I think it would be yes.

I often refer to 'people with ts' in my posts or when talking altho sometimes I've refered to 'tsers' or 'tikrz' for short. But touretter I guess I just dont really like that one :roll: .

I don't find it offensive at all. And even though tser or even 'tikrz' sounds maybe nicer, nobody other than somebody with TS would know what it means.
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Default Offensive or not?

Well, I don't have TS myself although my ds does. I voted yes in the poll but I don't actually find the term offensive, rather, I just don't like it. In fact in all my research and time on line with regard to TS, I had rarely come across the term. Usually we have a propensity toward simplifying our language and I am a big proponent of "people first" terminology so I will always refer to my ds as "Having TS" but never "my TS ds". I work with children with special needs and I also refuse to refer to a child as "autistic child" but rather - "a child with Autism". People are first and foremost individuals with lots going on aside from whatever diagnosis they may have.

So I prefer "person with TS" or something similar rather than "Touretter" and actually as I type all this I could see where individuals with TS would rightfully be offended by the term Touretter.

Very good points and I would be surprised if you found the term in any research. This is a term that those of us with TS often use referring to ourselves, ie. "fellow touretters". My experience with the term is that those who do not have TS find it offensive for many of the reasons you indicated.

This is why we wanted to gather the info from this poll...to explore how common this term was and to find out if perhaps we should not use if the majority felt it offends.

thanks for your insight...we are definitely advocating for people to see people as great individuals who happen to have TS.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Good points indeed, and I have to admit I have been on the fence about this question. I've leaned both ways and still have not made up my mind.

I could say for certain that a term that I do find objectionable is a "Tourette sufferer".

Talk about a negative stigma!

I have always preferred, as you do to refer to "a person with Tourette" or a "person afflicted with Tourette".

Thanks for the input.

Hi,
    I read a review that the term 'Touretter' was coined by Oliver Sachs in his book 'An Anthropologist on Mars'
    It looks interesting - anyone read it think the same way??
    Cheers
    David

David,

For those of us who have not read the book, would you sunmmarize the point made by Sachs?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    For those of us who have not read the book, would you sunmmarize the point made by Sachs?
    In that book, Sachs describes a surgeon with TS -- demonstrating how focus and concentration can minimize tics, and how TS doesn't necessarily dictate your career choices.
    Colin