Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New study on Ritalin

Default New study on Ritalin

I just found this article, and thought that every parent with a kid on Ritalin ought to read it. It's good to be informed. Here's the link:
    http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/510069/
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

The study you are pointing to is a very small one. They followed only 12 children in one county, but did they not have a control group that they followed at the same time.

I would be interested to see if there is any follow up and a larger study done that would be more definitive. Also, Ritalin has been used for long enough that a study of people who used Ritalin over a number of years and a corollation to problems should also show whether or not this is a concern with the drug.

If you see any follow up to this study, please let us know about it. As you said, it is good to be informed - thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

In this case, what good would a control group be? They took these children's blood before giving Ritalin and tested it, and then again three months into taking the drug and found significant chromosomal changes in every one of them. It is not logical to assume that children not taking Ritalin would have the same chromosomal changes happening. Or that the changes in the tested children would just have happened by themselves.

Anyway, as they said, it was a preliminary study, which I am sure will lead to more extensive studies (with a control group, I am sure).

And there are many studies out there that report a lot of negative (and very permanent) changes in the brain of people taking Ritalin over long periods of time, as well as proof that it is highly addictive. So much so, that it has turned into a street drug. Which shouldn't surprise anybody who realizes that amphetamines and Ritalin are the same thing.
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

It is not logical to assume that children not taking Ritalin would have the same chromosomal changes happening.
    Actually, that is what the control group would indicate. I have read many studies where assumptions were made about the results of a study when there was no control group and/or a small study group. When the studies were repeated with a control group, other factors were found that led to a different explanation.

The potential problem described in the article is something that anyone taking Ritalin would want to know about. My point was only that this is a preliminary study and hopefully it will lead to a larger study that provides more details -- including if the changes are permanent, and what they mean.
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

I just wanted to say that young schoolchildren r out and about in areas of downtown selling their prescription ritalin :shock: . And they r familiar with the types who buy it and why.

Most young people with ADHD or aggression who r given ritalin dont even need it and docs,who give out ritalin like candy, dont even seem think in terms of dealing with underlining causes. :?

Docs r often encouraged to give out as many Rx's as possible. The black market in Rxtions or should I write prescriptions, as Rxtions sounds a little :D, is probably as large or larger than the illegal drug market. The med establishment-Rx co's make huge profits off the black market just like the tobacco industry does. In my opinion a Rx co is like a mafia, docs r like the middle men and children r being used like drug dealers.

I know some people may be offended by this but I think that it is relevent becuz some people need to take meds and we need to be cautious about those who make them, as profiteers are concerned more about their profits than about health.

The med establishment-Rx co's make huge profits off the black market just like the tobacco industry does. In my opinion a Rx co is like a mafia, docs r like the middle men and children r being used like drug dealers
    Your charaterization of the pharmaceutical industry might be somewhat overstated, Scott. Though I don't want to be the defender of that industry, we must keep in mind the advances in drug therapies made in the last fifty years have resulted in improvded quality of life unheard of before.

Consider the number of beds now vacated in psychiatric hospitals and sanitoriums where people were warehoused until the middle of the last century.

Agreed much has to do with advances made in medical therapies as well, but pharmaceutical companies are now able to produce medications taylored for specific conditions, often referred to as designer drugs.

Now the antithesis to that is the designer drugs of the street and the abuse of legitimate medications.

No pharmaceutical representative has ever called on street gangs to promote the sales of drugs.

I appreciate the public backlash to incidents like the ones we recently experienced with the withdrawl of formerly approved medications, but one must take into consideration there is a rapidly growing population which requires medical treatment. Science is based on statistics, and as the exposure of a procedure or substance increases in ever growing numbers, problems once identified in smaller studies sometimes appear.

Sure there is abuse, but please direct the responsibility for the abuse to where it belongs...and your comparison of the pharmaceutical industry to the tobacco industry is totall unmerited.

No pharmaceutical company ever marketed a substance scientifically proven to kill.

Hi Steve
    I dont want to appear argumentative and I respect ur opinion but some of ur points were a bit over simplified and some were not rite, no offence.

Advances in drug therapies in the last 50 yrs from dithalamide(spelling) to prozac havent increased the quality of life for alot of people. Governments all over the world have taken meds off the market becuz of major irreversable damage to some of its population. Recently New Zealand took a vaccination off the market becuz alot of school children got diabetes from it, many died in Japan from a genetically modified form of L tryptophane and there is a class action lawsuit in BC against a RX company becuz a vaccine made by them was implicated in giving children a form of autism. And as far as beds bein vacated in psychiatric hospitals it is only done to save money. These patients r often drugged up and or left on the streets to rot. I think its really sad. I was talking to a friend awhile back who was living in Japan and he mentioned that u would never see as many people on the streets in Tokyo as u would here and that in Japan the government takes care of its people with mental disorders.

U said that my comparison of the Rx industry to the tobacco industry is unmerited. Consider this: they both make profits from the black market, they both have been convicted in Canada of releasing misleading info about their products, the tobacco industry uses science to manipulate the amount of nicotine in cigs and the Rx industry uses nicotine to make drugs and lastly they both cause alot of deaths in Canada each year.

Finally u said that "No pharmaceutical company ever marketed a substance scientifically proven to kill". I'm truly sorry but this couldnt be farther from the truth. It is Rx co's that develop bio weapons like agent orange and anthrax. Substances r developed specifically to kill animals. As far as I know pesticides r developed in science labs and r made by chemical co's some that r subsidies of the major pharmacuetacals. And who makes the substance that is injected into the blood of people receiving capital punishment by lethal injection.

Sometimes its hard to cut throu all the c$%? and misleading info and sometimes it hard to accept the harsh reality of whats happening out there especially when we want to believe in the general good. I believe people are genarally good but companies r not people. Please research all meds fully b4 taking. :idea: The more we know the more power we have.

Hi Scott!

No one will ever take offence here because of an different point of view, and so your comments and opinion are most welcome.

I understand the points you make, and I suppose our perspectives are different. I'm not ready to write off the entire industry yet, even though I'm the first to admit it is an industry that has some shortcomings.

We'll just have to walk away from this one agreeing to disagree.

Thanks for helping to make the TS Forum a lively place!

Thnx Steve
    I really appreciate this forum and the freedom we have to talk about what we want too. Another member here and I are users of another tourettes bb and we both agree that it is restrictive as we arnt allowed to talk about all things relating to ts.

Scott,

You have raised an interesting point about discussion topics. Lets continue that talking about it in This Discussion Thread

Looking forward to your comments as well as the comments of other Forum members in that discussion.