Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loud Vocal Tics.

Default Loud Vocal Tics.

I'm wondering if anyone is suffering from loud vocal tics ? and if so is there anything your doing or taking that helps controll them, mine are driving me crazy.

Default Loud Vocal Tics.

I have a vocal tic. I can usually keep it down to a low utterance, though. At work nobody else can really hear it except those who sit right near me (who are used to it by now).

It is more satisfying the louder it is though. I often get up from my desk and go somewhere else for a few minutes if I can't keep it down.

I've only just begun on the medication side of things, and so far I've found nothing helpful.

Unfortunately, as for -controlling- them for your own benefit, there's not much I've been able to do. I can supress them to a certain extent, but as you know, that's not really helpful to the person with TS, aside from preventing potential embarrassment.
    Colin

Default Loud Vocal Tics.

Greg,

What is the nature of your vocal tic? Is it a sound, a word or phrase?

Is it your most prevalent tic and are there any conditions under which you are able to suppress or redirect that particular voacl tic?

Default Loud Vocal Tics.

I have several vocal tics. For instance, I have to constantly, loudly clear my throat, at times in rapid succession (like machine gun fire), as well as small coughs. I really can't stop those for long at all. Sometimes I have to make those small noises (like little moans), right now I am having a period when I have to do those (that one I can suppress, but it results in me feeling all fidgety and like I am going to explode with anger). The reason that I have to suppress it is, that my husband will make stupid remarks about 'moaning because I'm turned on' or something like that. It makes me mad. Why can't he just ignore my tics? I used to try and suppress all my tics before finding out about TS in November 2003, and it would result in a lot of angry outbursts. Isn't a little tic like that better and easier to live with?
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Default Loud Vocal Tics.

Uschi,

A technique frequently used to help others understand and appreciate the fact that TS tics are involuntary and need to be expressed is to ask the person to do an exercise that illustrates that need.

There are two exercises I am familiar with and hopefully others will suggest their own.

I will ask the person to hold their eyes open as long as they can...obviously they can only do that for a while and when they finally blink, I will tell them that's what it's like when a person with TS needs to tic.

The other illustration is when a person has an itch and needs to scratch.

How has your hubby responded to information about TS? Has he ever attended a TS meeting with you where he could meet others with TS?

Default Loud Vocal Tics.

My husband has absolutely no interest whatsoever in finding out anything about TS. I've given him brochures to read which I got from the Tourette Clinic, but he won't read them, he's got 'better' things to do. And there is no way he'd 'waste his time' going to a meeting. He chooses to be ignorant and doesn't care.
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Default Vocal tics

My vocal tics Steve consume of load clearing of the throat, I also have sertain words or phrasess, and it can be load at times. I'll be seeing a neroligist at the end of July, so i'm hoping there might be something new out there I haven't tried yet, I haven't been on any medacation for a few years now, so i'm hoping when I see the neroligist that he might have something new that will help my vocals.

Default Hi

Well Cailean, I'll be seeing a neroligist at the end of July so I'm hoping he might have something new 4 me to try that might help the vocals, and if the Doc finds something that does help, i'll let you know.

Default Loud Vocal Tics.

Greg,

We wish you well with your consultation with the neurologist. We'll be looking forward to your report which will certainly be of to Forum members.

Have a look at THIS FORUM POSTING to see if any of the information it contains might help in your upcoming appointment.

Default Loud Vocal Tics.

Uschi,

Gaining support from family and those close to us is a perplexing issue for people with TS. Have a look at This Article on the TSFC website, written by Nadyne Gooding.

Though it was written as a guide for parents, it may provide some insights as she addresses the issue of family support.

After reading the article, would you share your comments as this issue is one that affects many people with TS and deserves some discussion.