Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Getting a job

Default Getting a job

How does a person with Tourette overcome any prejudices by the prospective employer's interviewer when applying for a job?

Once you have the job, what are some ways to explain Tourette to co-workers?

Default Getting a job

I never tell my employers that I have TS as it's not an issue for me on the job. I may tell them later if we develop a friendship.

For someone who's TS is more impacting, I'd just say 'be honest'. Explain to them how your TS may interfere with the job and what accomodations you may need and probably as importantly, how it will NOT interfere with the job.

If the employer has a stereotypical idea of TS already, it may be helpful to say "You may have heard (this or that) about TS, but everyone with TS is different and I don't have that particular issue".

As far as co-workers go too, I only tell them if it happens to come up. Though I tic constantly, people just don't seem to notice. At one job my TS came up because a co-worker was cussing and joking that she has Tourette Syndrome. I laughed and said "Hey, don't make fun of my people!" and that started the conversation.

Default Getting a job

Quote Originally Posted by Haejinn
    At one job my TS came up because a co-worker was cussing and joking that she has Tourette Syndrome. I laughed and said "Hey, don't make fun of my people!" and that started the conversation.
    Haha, I love those situations. I had a co-worker make the same joke, and she found out about my TS a couple of days later. She remembered saying it and was very apologetic. I laughed, because I wasn't really offended by it.

That's not to say that nobody would be offended, though -- but it does help to have a sense of humor.
    Colin

Default Getting a job

It's surprising (or perhaps not) that Tourette Syndrome as well as many other psychiatric disorders are trivialized and used a joke material by the media, and then by unwitting people who frequently don't have a complete understanding of what they are saying.

To underline my point, LOOK HERE at a Google News search for reports on Tourette.

The number of inappropriate new stories that use the word Tourette to describe behaviour that has nothing to do with the disorder is remarkable.

Of course this is nothing new...how many times do we say someone is "psychotic" neurotic" "spastic"

OTOH how many times do you hear someone say.."He acts that way because he's diabetic" ???