Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Travelling with Medications

Default Travelling with Medications

Summer is peak season for travel.

What has been your experience with travelling with medications?

What is the importance of proper documentation for medications when you travel internationally?

What is the importance of making sure there is nothing in the car or on your person without proper documentation when you just drive across the border?
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

My prescriptions come once a month in a bottle, so I keep a set of spares, and use those for travel, and only, only take what I need plus one day (just in case I drop one down the drain). If you have the labels, and a very short supply, they let it go.

Remember, they are looking for 5 kilogram bags of unlabeled powder usually. Two Ritalin ain't gonna upset nobody, even in an American airport.

I know a couple of folks who take copies of the labels, and put the pills in a 7 day dispenser thingee. I also know some people who don't even think about it - and never have a problem. Me, I do not want to take a chance.
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

Darrin

I like this idea. We use a 7-day dispenser at home for our oldest and this would be great.

I know a couple of folks who take copies of the labels, and put the pills in a 7 day dispenser thingee

Thanks for sharing
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

You have to be really cautious with some of the medications if you are going across the border. Having them in a dispenser can be a problem -- even with the labels.

If you are travelling within the country, then using a dispenser and bringing the labels should work. When you cross the border, this is not a good idea. Medications that are used for depression (Prozac, etc.) can be a major problem.

As Darrin said, most people don't have a problem, and don't even get asked about medications. However, there are people who have been turned back from the US border because of issues with their medications.
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

Don't forget, and this applies to everything on a trip, and to anyone who has ADHD, OCD, or executive issues:

Be prepared to lose whatever you take with you.

My father, who travels enough that he knows what he is talking about, packs duplicates of pretty much everything. He can literally survive the plane crash (puh, puh!) and get a ride home and not have to replace anything to go to work the next day... I am working on that.

My point: only pack enough meds. for the trip, plus one extra day or two, depending on the person. I go to the store and get those little travel bottles and tubes and boxes and pack those. I literally will squeeze some hair gel or shampoo or whatever into a generic plastic bottle and take that on the trip. When I get home, I finish using it (no sense wasting, ey?) or put it in the dishwasher or throw it away, whatever makes sense. I also buy ONE or TWO of those little travel size of things, like shampoo, and then refill that little bottle from the "17 siblings" size economy price bottle. And you know what? The hotels stock a lot of stuff - soap, generic shampoo, even Q-Tips these days.

Pst! Can you keep a secret? I bought an L.L. Bean travel Dopp kit bag. (I am so embarrassed!) Anyway, it has a hanging hook, and zips up, and comes in fashion colors. Sounds wasteful (very American) but really, I leave it hanging up in my bathroom at home, and leave it mostly packed. If I ever lose a toothbrush or floss or whatever, there is my travel pack / backup Dopp kit. Ha ha. The hook made the sale - I hang it up on a towel rack out of the way. When I pack for Montreal, I just check my inventory, throw in a couple of things like mouthwash that can NOT stay in there for months without spilling / going bad, zip it up and throw it in the bottom of my suitcase. Slick as - well, go get a tissue for that. Hey! They're in my travel bag.

Also, those little plastic pill organizers fit in there perfectly.

Sorry I did not think of this sooner. Here is the link to what I am talking about above, the "Personal Organizer" from L.L. Bean. I love it. Now I need one for my laundry, and bills, and dishes, and...

Wouldn't it be awesome if the TSFC got some made green with the logo emblazened on the front, and gave them away as prizes at the conferences? Hee hee. Or sold them even...

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...hod=pp&feat=bc

Travelling with Prescription or Over-the-Counter Medication & Syringes

• ?Pack an extra supply of your medication in case you are away for longer than expected.

?Carry a copy of the original prescription, and ensure that both the generic and trade names of the drug are included in case your medication is lost or stolen. A doctor's note describing why you are taking the medication is also recommended.

?If you are taking a less common medication, check to ensure that it is readily available in the country you intend to visit.

?If you require syringes for a medical condition such as diabetes, carry a supply to last your entire trip, as well as a medical certificate that states that they are for medical use. Syringes are usually prohibited in carry-on luggage due to security concerns. Contact your airline before departure to verify their carry-on regualtions.

[size=9px]Source: Consular Affairs Bureau of Foreign Affairs Canada [/size]

The Canadian Government Department of Consular Affairs provides valuable information on travel outside Canada.

Check out the Travel Publications available as free downloads in PDF Format.

Of particular interest might be Before YouTravel to the U.S.A as well as a copy of U.S.A Bound, also available as a downloadable PDF file.

Well done, Steve. Good information. Going through Customs is bad enough without suddenly being accused of smuggling drug paraphenalia.

My advice would include being up front with that stuff if you have to bring it in the carry-on luggage. I know checking baggage is a pain, but for some of this stuff, if it is in your check-in luggage, they will not notice it. Of course, syringes are metallic, and this is different. There are always employees of the airport or airline around, especially as you approach the ticket counters or the customs area. I think we should ask. "I am diabetic. What do I need to do so they don't think I am smuggling drugs?" How dumb (or ADHD) does a smuggler need to be to ask this to an airport employee?

One more thing here: drug screenings are not an airport issue (at least I hope they aren't, or won't be) but they are part of this larger topic. Talk to your doctor about your prescriptions if you go in for a drug exam as part of applying for a job, or for playing pro. baseball (Jim, you listening? Ha ha) because some of our favorite TS+ drugs come up on those unsophisticated scanners as cocaine or speed. Same rule here: show them prescriptions ahead of time, and ask them to note that when they send it to the lab. I almost lost a job due to Norpramin. It came up as cocaine. Ouch. (Don't quote me - it's been years. Me not = doctor.) I had the prescriptions, and gave them to the testing folks, and that problem went away. One last thing: do NOT show prescriptions to employers. It is none of their business during hiring in most cases. (Me not = lawyer, either.) They only want to know that the lab found no street drugs. That is a yes or no question, so showing prescriptions to the person who draws the blood or snips the hair or collects your, ugh, urine sample does not waive these rights - it is highly unlikely that they will report back to the employer anything, and that is assuming that tech. will even understand the prescription. Again, it is none of their business WHY you are taking them. You don't have to explain. That is between the doctor and the licensing board he/she reports to. And those folks doing the testing know the whole topic is very very very touchy.

no one will have a problem, half of the time when I go into Quebec, they don't even chek the ID's of everyone in the car They'll just check the drivers ID and wave you on through, they don't even open the trunk. They may ask you if you are carrying any prohibited items into Canada, but they just will take your word for it. The US Customs Agents are the same way.

Just in case Id have to types of ID to verify that the priscriptions are yours, only bring how many pills that you'll need, and keep the priscriptions in the pharmacy bottles.