Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autism and Tourette

Default Autism and Tourette

A study published in 1999 showed that autistic children had high rates of Tourette syndrome compared to children who were not autistic.

Are you aware of any later studies on this subject that either confirm or refute this finding?

Information for this posting was taken from:
    Baron-Cohen, S., Scahill, V. L., Izaguirre, J., Hornsey, H., and Robertson, M. M. (1999). The prevalence of Gilles de la Tourette syndrome in children and adolescents with autism: A large scale study. Psychol Med, vol. 29, no. 5, 1151-1159.

Hi Steve,
    I have a friend who is doing a higher degree in autism and children and I remember her saying that she was taught (this year) that TS was now considered to be on the autistic scale. If so, then all kids with TS are autistic (which confirms the study 8) )
    I tend to believe this as Tim did some tests recently and came up with some 'off the chart' results for certain number type puzzles - a sort of classic autism thing (not that I am an expert)?
    Also, it may explain that some folk with TS may typically have Aspergers, ADHD, OCD etc. (all of which I feel Tim has a touch of - though not officially - one is enough)
    Cheers
    David

It would be great to learn more about your friend's work and her findings.

Can you point us to any of the material she is working with ie references, so Forum members could learn more about this issue/

this is interesting as i have TS and my brother is severly autistic,i also have a sister who is not "quite right" for want of a better expression,cant quite pin it down but she has a very different outlook on the world(she is rather sweet) and is very immature for her 19 yesrs of age,more like a much younger teenager
    my mother wont admit to this,i feel she could not cope mentally with another "problem" child,she doesnt know about me yet :D
    but it is very interesting to hear that there could possibly be a link there
    jo

Midnight,

It is not uncommon for people to exhibit more than one condition or problem. There can be varying degrees of severity in one condition or another and Tourette appears to have a number of common related conditions. The primary diagnosis may not be the one that presents the greatest challenge for the individual, so it helps to understand the various co-morbid or associated disorders.

Dr. Leslie Packer's site Tourette Plus provides a comprehensive description of the disorders often accompanying Tourette Syndrome.

Click on any of the topics under Conditions for more information on each disorder

Has your sister been evaluated by a mental health professional to determine the nature of her disorder?

It's often difficult to suggest that someone consult a mental health professional because of the real or perceived stigma attached. It requires courage and support but the benefits of knowing and understanding ones condition are well worth the effort.

Knowledge of ones disorder allows the person to then become empowered to deal with their disorder and improve their quality of life.

You seem to have taken the first big step in this direction for yourself and you are to be commended. Your positive experience can now be a motivation for your family members to follow in your footsteps.

yes i couldnt agree more,i feared diagnosis for a long time,well my whole life really,now i feel a stronger person and able to cope and move on now,

it is a shame, but my little sister lives a very sheltered life living with our mother,she still treats her as a baby and they never got to see any doctor about anything,mum thinks she can treat everything with garlic and black cohosh root ! :roll:
    if my sis decides that she herself would want to seek help then i will be there for her when and if that day comes
    and thankyou for the link
    off to read it now
    jo
    jo

It is not uncommon for people to exhibit more than one condition or problem
    I agree with too. I was diagnosed with TS and TS only but we (My father and I) have read over the years about related disorders and how common it is to have 2 or 3 or maybe 4 of these other disorders with TS. I have been tested for ADD and ADHD but was not diagnosed but I probably should get tested for OCD. Although I dont think I need to test for it, Im 100% sure I have at least a mild form. But it does get confusing on whats OCD and whats TS. I also think I have mild dyslexia (and a huge case of, "I cant spell" syndrome, lol, sorry for my horrible grammer!) I rarley read due to the fact that I cant seem to focus correctly on what Im reading. I can do ok if its big font or just a few lines but when Im trying to read a book with small font and many lines, words sometimes disappear, or I combined words from many different lines. I guess I dont know if this is actually dyslexia or what but I know this is why I dont read books for fun, or any reason for that matter. Its just frustrating to read a chapter when it took you 3 hours to read 10 pages and the entire time you had to re read parts because they didnt make sense only to find out I was reading it wrong or was skipping a word or something. But this maybe is a seperate topic but I agree that people with TS are common to have another disorder or two.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

adam,i have the exact same problems with reading, i hardly ever read anything due to the fact that it takes me so long,having to read and re-read the same line or paragraph until it *sinks in * sometimes i can read a whole book then next day i cant remember what it was about,i seem to have problems absorbing info and text,i cant get it from short term memory to long term memory,it just doesnt stick
    reading is a nightmare for me,the only time i can read is if the book is about something that has a very strong personal interest for me so i can get totally absorbed into it
    and that doesnt happen often,
    i just give up most of the time,especially as i have lots of tics that cause me to lose where i was in the book, :roll: ,just too much like hard work
    then there is my spelling,i seem to get the small words mixed up
    jo

Welcome Midnight

I have been reading some of your posts since you joined us this past week and it's great to have your participation.

I'm sure you're going to meet lots of great people on our forum and I look forward to your continued input.

Adam and Midnight I have to say, "DIDO!"

I struggled the same way with reading, especially things that were required for school vs interest.

I trained myself to read slower to ensure I read what was written...now I tend to use a pen/highlighter when I read things that are for educational purposes as opposed to pleasure reading. I remember reading novels for pleasure over the years and would put it down for a day or two and have to go back and skim over the chapters to recall what had happened and who the characters were to be able to read further!

I know I am an auditory learner, so when I attend a meeting or conference I listen and write as much as I can while I'm listening and then I remember. Are you an auditory learner?
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Steve:

Thank you for that site.
    It is wonderful resource material and there are so many points in it that fit my son and how we lived. It also gave some interesting support as to how to get through it.

I have sent the website to Arizona for a look and see.
    PJK