Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tourette and Stuttering

Default Tourette and Stuttering

Some studies suggest that children with Tourette Syndrome are also more likely to stutter.

Roger Kurlan, M.D., professor of neurology at University of Rochester Medical Center is an expert on Tourette syndrome.

He became interested in stuttering when he noticed similarities between the two disorders.

Dr. Kurlan was quoted saying "The Tourette?s patients and the stuttering patients we were treating displayed the same symptoms, but from two different perspectives. The clinical picture for stutterers is almost identical to those with Tourette?s."

What has been your experience or that of your child(ren) with regards to stuttering and Tourette.

Are you aware of any recent scientific work on this issue?

I never stuttered as a child, but have now periods of stuttering, especially when under a lot of stress.

I believe that my older brother (who is also on the autistic spectrum) also has TS , even though he won't admit to either TS or AS (he has quite a few tics, both vocal and motor tics). He has been stuttering since he was six years old (he started stuttering when his teacher in grade one tried to make him right-handed, and he is VERY left-handed). It was so bad, that he had to go to a school for speech-handicapped children for much of his schooling.

He still stutters (he is 53), but never when he has to give seminars on his specialty (computer programming).
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Uschi,

A very helpful website to help people who stutter is at the Stuttering Foundation.

They also address the issue of Tourette Syndrome and stuttering HERE.

Based on information presented by the Stuttering Foundation, many famous people succeed in suppressing their stuttering when speaking in public.

Your brother may find this particular site informative.

It makes one wonder if stuttering is a form of vocal tic??

Steve,

I have had some stuttering "problems" before but nothing really major or even noticable to some people. I personally have never really felt the urge to stutter like the urge to grunt or cough or whatever for a vocal tic but again, I rarely stuttered and even when I did, it probably was from me being a talkative person and wanting to say 1 million things at once. Now, I met a kid in 7th grade who had a severe case of TS. (my school nurse wanted us to meet since we were the only two kids with TS). Now he had a bad stuttering problem. Words would get slurred. I would definately say that stuttering could be a vocal tic or if not a vocal tic at least something that is triggered by TS. But thats my opinion.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

In the days before I knew there was such a thing as TS, I had a friend, who, looking back most likely had TS. In addition he had a severe stutter.

I often think about him and wonder if he was as fortunate as I to learn about TS and eventually be diagnosed.

Although I have never given it much thought, my son stutters when he is trying to make lengthy conversation. I always thought that it could be related to his speech delay. Once again, just like the tics the more he has stress the more he stutters. Interesting connection.

When stress is increased for people with TS, it seems multiple directions become stalled...ie we cannot multi task. I wonder if this blockage of though process might have a connection to stutter for people with TS.

The website of the Stuttering Foundation (above) provides some very interesting insights.

"The answers to stuttering lie in neuroscience," says Dr. Peter Ramig, a speech pathologist at the University of Colorado. "Research is showing that there are areas in the brain (for stutterers) that should be active during speech but aren't, and areas that shouldn't be highly active are."One highly active area is the nucleus accumbens, a collection of neurons in the front of the brain that produces a chemical known as dopamine. In addition to stuttering, high levels of dopamine in the brain have been linked in recent studies to schizophrenia and Tourette Syndrome.

Dr. Ramig has prepared a guide for clinicians which outlines strategies for Treating the School Age Child Who Stutters.

Source:
    Peter R. Ramig, Ph.D., Professor
    Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences
    University of Colorado

This is very interesting. I have also noticed lately my son stuttering also. It's worse when he gets upset.

Cookie,

Like most tics, stutter might be exacerbated when your son's level of stress increases.

It's difficult at first to tell if it is indeed stutter or a form of vocal tic.

Is it related to certain words, certain word types or random word types? Is there repetition involved (echolalia) or does he become stuck on a single syllable?