Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What is Dyscalculia?

Default What is Dyscalculia?

Dyscalculia is a disorder related to many of the disorders discussed here on the Tourette Syndrome Forum.

Dyscalculia is a term meaning "specific learning disability in mathematics." People who suffer with a poor memory for all things mathematical have many other symptoms and characteristics. Taken as a whole, these coexisting conditions comprise what this author terms "the dyscalculia syndrome."

An organization specializing in dyscalculia is:

Dyscalculia.org which can be accessed by clicking here

Included are a description of the disorder, support and treatment options.

Also discussed are Dyslexia and Dysgraphia

What experience have you had in dealing with any of these disorders?

[size=9px]Be sure to save the URL address of the TSFC Forum in your Favorites or Bookmarks before selecting one of the above links, to be sure to return here. The above links will open in a new browser window, so when you are through reading these linked resources, just close your browser windows until you are back here in the TSFC Forum.[/size]

Default What is Dyscalculia?

Great. More TS+ disorders to add to the list. Has anyone suggested that folks with TS+ get any other disease just as often as non-Touretters? My feelings about having all these disorders piling up is outlined here in paragraph 4:

http://tourettetiger.home.mindspring....montreal.html

I work with special education professionals, and dyslexia is just like arthritis - it is so large a concept as to be useless by itself. Dyscalculia sounds like math LD due to neurological impairment, and TS+ is only one of dozens of ways this can happen. Bipolar disorder (according to a friend of mine who had it) has similar academic problems to ADHD.

Once again, let's separate (with a crowbar) the diagnosis & cause from the treatment of these problems. A good LD teacher can fix ADHD math problems - the tools I used to teach math to ADHD / OCD / LD kids worked because they work for everyone. We just need them more, and more often. <steps down from soapbox>
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger