Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi...Books for kids?

Default Hi...Books for kids?

Hi everyone
    My son is 8 and was diagnosed with mild TS about 6 months ago. I think I/we have been in denial for a few different reasons but after this past weekend I now know we have to accept this and I do believe he does have TS. We went to the local fair and my son was doing all sorts of things with his eyes ALL day. I don't know how he could see properly

The next day I tried to talk to him about it and he got mad. He said his eyes were sore and to leave him alone. I didn't want to leave it alone because I wanted him to know it is OK, so I told him a little about Tourettes and told him about the Kids Korner on this website. He started cying and did NOT want to talk about it at all. I left it alone for a few days but I think I should get a childrens book for him that talks about TS. Can anyone recommnend one? I feel sad that I can not talk to him about this.

Anyways, if anyone can recommend a book that would be great

Was your son's behaviour at the Fair different from previous behaviour? In what way?

What tipped you off to persuade you to pursue a diagnosis? What type of health professional did you consult?

Ask your son to read the Q&A brochure prepared by TSFC, then to read these postings by other young people on the TSFC website.

Do you know if there is any local Tourette support in your area?

Your UserID intrigues me...what does it mean?

Default Books for kids

There are a couple of books out for kids. One is Taking Tourette Syndrome to School.

Another one is Hi, I'm Adam by Adam Buehrens. The same author wrote Adam and the Magic Marble

There is a new book coming out called "I Can't Stop" by Holly Niner. I don't have any information on this one, other than it is coming soon.
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

Cathy:

What age range are most of these books?

Possibly if I can find one that will work for my son i(12) it will help him better understand what is happening to him.
    PJK

PJK,
    We own both these boks. Hi, I'm Adam by Adam Buehrens is a very small paperback book that is a primary level book. It is hand drawn by Adam and just describes what it is like to have TS from his perspective. I gave it to my first son when diagnosed at 9yrs and it helped. The same author wrote Adam and the Magic Marble, and this book is an adventure novel about Adam and his friends who find a magic marble and how they use this magic and later come to realize that living with TS is not that bad compared to living with other disabilities.. don't want to spoil the story for you if you buy it I sent this into my son's class and the teacher used it as a book that she read out loud to the kids... it's a chapter book.

Both worth the investment. the other two I have not read but heard good reviews on the "taking Tourette to school".

Check amazon for books on Tourette Syndrome and you'll find several listed.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

"Taking Tourette to School" is also primary age. I know it has been read to Kindergarten and Grade 1 students as part of an in-service.

There are a couple of books out that have characters with TS that are in the adolescent and teen range for reading and content. I don't recall the names of them, but will post the names if I can find them again.

Does anyone else have suggestions?
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I will check out those books
    Steve- He does do this thing with his eyes when he is excited or when he is interested in something we are saying, but he was doing this nonstop at the fair.
    In grade 1 his teacher mentioned that he sniffed alot, we noticed this too and we just thought it was one of those funny habits. It lasted a few months I guess.
    This stopped and then he started doing things with his mouth and raising his eyebrows. His grade 2 teacher was the one who recommended we see someone. She also hinted that he may have adhd. When he was in grade 2 he did alot of this. We got the diagnosis in the summer and by then we were seeing nothing but a shoulder shrug here and there.
    I believe there is a local Tourette support in our area, I will check it out thanks.
    My userid??LOL is because I have 3 boys

Welcome to the "boys club"... I too have boys, four of them! Have your other boys shown any signs or symptoms? Are they older or younger?
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Dear Mom of 3 Boys,

Acceptance is a giant step forward both for you and for the benefit of your son.

There is no doubt denial plays a large part in preventing good communication between the person with Tourette and family and friends. But once everyone concerned understands the situation, then a meaningful dialog can begin.

Conversation is the key to providing support so information can be shared both ways. As the parent, you can provide re assurance to your son, so he understands he is not bad. not doing something wrong or something to be hidden. Your positive re assurance will help build his self esteem and self confidence, thereby laying the foundation for a successful and productive adult.

Conversely your son's conversation with you can give you important insights into his feelings, fears and concerns as well as letting you understand the possible limitations he may be experiencing in dealing with everyday situations due to his Tourette.

An example of a limitation might be his inability to multi task, as some people with Tourette have reported.

Asking your son to "brush your teeth, clean your room, do your home work and walk the dog" all in one string of commands may overload his ability to compartmentalize the tasks. The reaction might range from rage to withdrawl...and if your son is encouraged to verbalize his reactions, he might say...."Mom, I'll brush my teeth now, and remind me of the other tasks when I'm done"

It sounds like you have made great strides on your own, and we appreciate your joining us here on the TSFC Forum where you can feel free to ventilate and verbalize your own concerns.

Having a partnership with his teachers, as you have reported, is another positive step toward improving your son's quality of life at school.

If you need additional help locating local support services in your community, let us know.

Keep us informed of your progress!

http://www.lulu.com/content/121612

You can download this book, or order a hardcopy, or contact the author and she'll personalize one... I don't see a price for the personalized version on the website.