Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snowbirds

Default Snowbirds

Are you a snowbird who escapes cold Northern temperatures for the warmth of the South?

Where do you stay and for how long?

Our winter getaway is near the Kennedy Space Center where we never miss a shuttle launch...and we hope they will continue.

Steve

Default Snowbirds

Im actually the opposite. If I travel in the winter I end up staying in the northern states (USA). I live in Minnesota So its cold in the winter, but when I travel in the winter its to NY City or Maine (USA). I hate heat and summertime. But again, Im very weird like that, lol.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Default Snowbirds

Adam,

Maine is one of our favorite summer...or I should say Spring or Fall destinations before or after the peak of the tourist season.

I couldn't imagine travelling to Maine in winter...unless you have to go there on business {smile} though Sugarloaf comes to mind as a good winter destination.

I have a friend who travels to Minnesota on business in winter and he's told me about how cold the weather can be.

Having worked in winter conditions all my life, I decided that when I retired I would do everything possible to escape...

What takes you to NYC and ME in winter?

Default Snowbirds

Well, I love NYC mainly because I am a city person. I love ealking the shops and resturaunts. I also love seafood and being 1500 miles from any sea, its great to have fresh sea food. I guess I would enjoy most major metropolitan areas. But Maine, again, I love sea food but I love the coast. Its just a beuatiful state to me. But I love the winter. I love the cold. I have my house set at 63 in the summer constantly and I rarely turn the heat on in the winter.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Default Snowbirds

Hey Adam

You live in the wrong country. You should live here in Newfoundland, Canada. We have max 8 weeks of warm, rarely hot weather for Summer and it's cool to cold from late Sept till mid June and the seafood here is great. There is nothing better that the Atlantic lobster, etc. I'm told (I personally don't eat seafood-except cod and salmon- I have too many sensory issues )
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Default Snowbirds

Newfoundland canada, mmmmmmmmm, that actually doesnt sound too bad. My sister just moved to new hampshire so I would be alot closer to her. That actually might work out!

Default Snowbirds

The only people I know that run from Canadian winters own a time share in Florida and are Semi - retired Accountants.

For all of us other poor folk we just have to stick it out and enjoy the fresh fallen snow. Most importantly, shop ahead... :lol:
    PJK

Default Snowbirds

LOL PJK! I haven't come across very many semi retired accountants, but at the rate the population of Florida is growing (1000 new residents per day) I'm afraid it will sink under the weight in not time!

Default Snowbirds

Steve:

You could be right, then Florida would become mostly swamp land or springs like before.

I have a lot of family in FL and they all call visitors yankee's but then most of the new population are yankee's too. I've always found it a great place to visit for short periods but never wanted to live there.

Thanksgiving and Christmas with palm trees are just not the same for me.
    I like my oysters in a bucket not my stuffing. :lol:
    PJK

Default Snowbirds

PJK,

Since my wife and I retired, we have spent Thanksgiving and Christmas in Florida. It's an experience quite different from the way these two Holidays are observed in Canada as I am sure you know.

Both Holidays are steeped in tradition and are observed with a greater amount of reverence than I have sen in our Country,

Of course, Thanksgiving in the U.S. is the official launch for Christmas shopping and many radio stations begin broadcasting Christmas Carols on Thanksgiving..

Granted the dates of Thanksgiving are different in our two Countries, but I find Christmas with palm trees is actually very exciting. People do decorate the palm trees {smile}

We always go to the community Christmas parade, which we precede with an outdoor pot luck picnic.