Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Zyprexa ( Olanzapine )

Default Zyprexa ( Olanzapine )

Just wondering if anyone has tried Zyprexa ( Olanzapine ) If so has it worked for them.

Zyprexa ( Olanzapine ) is marketed in Canada by Eli Lilly Inc. An online Canadian product monograph could not be located.

However a full description of Zyprexa ( Olanzapine ) can be found in THIS SITE with the U.S. drug information in the Physician's Desk Reference.

Olanzapine is used for treating patients with schizophrenia and manic episodes associated with bipolar I disorder. It also is used as maintenance therapy for bipolar disorder.

Additional information is available HERE

Please bear in mind these links refers to U.S. prescribing information which may differ from the prescribing information approved by Health Canada.

Follow your doctors instructions for taking your medication.

Would you elaborate on the diagnosis for which the medication is prescribed and what is the diagnostic expectation?

If someone has first hand experience with Zyprexa ( Olanzapine ) it will be interesting to hear their comments.

Would you elaborate on

Default Zyprexa

My 15 year old son tried Zyprexa two years ago. He gained a tremendous amount of weight while taking it for only two months. His appetite was ravenous within one hour of taking his first dose and it really did not help his TS. It also made him very sleepy. People need to be aware of the chance of developing metabolic syndrome, which is a precursor for diabetes and heart disease, when taking these atypical anticonvulsant/antipsychotic meds. Zyprexas is one of the worst. My son is currently taking Seroquel (quetiapine), which is also a medication in that group. He has also gained weight on it and it has increased his cholesterol levels, but he has also derived some benefits from taking it. It helped lessen his tics for the first year he was on it, but we are battling a significant waxing period with his vocal tics now. I will say that he still receives great relief from painful motor tics he used to suffer. Everyone reacts differently to medications, but it is always a good idea to arm yourself with as much knowldedge about a medication as you can. Good luck.

Thank you for sharing your son's experience with Zyprexa and for introducing the discussion on Seroquel (quetiapine).

More information on Seroquel (quetiapine) is available CLICK HERE

Unfortunately a Canadian product monograph does not appear to be available online. Are you aware if increased appetite is considered to be listed a side effect of Zyprexa, or is it due to the somnolence, resulting in fewer burned calories?

Weight gain is listed among the side effects of Seroquel however.

What were the factors that persuaded your son's doctors to consider atypicals for his treatment?

Regards,

Default Seroquel

Yes, weight gain is listed as a side effect of Seroquel. My son's neurologist put him on Seroquel after failed trials of numerous other meds including valproic acid (Depakote), topiramate (Topamax), zonisamide (Zonegran), Orap, Clonidine, Risperdal, and Zyprexa. I'm sure I have left several out that I can't recall. He is currently on several different meds, but is still having problems with severe vocal tics. He also has ADHD and OCD.

If you have not already done so, it would be recommended to read the product monograph to acquaint yourself about the pharmacokinetics of this medication. Particular emphasis should be placed on understanding the potential for drug/drug interactions.

Drug interactions are described in Astra Zenica's Canadian product monograph.

Consult with your physician and pharmacist before combining other prescription or over the counter medications with Seroquel.

There are reliable drug interaction sites where drug combinations can be entered to determine the potential for interaction.

One example is Discovery Health Interaction Checker

This particular site requires temporarily disabling your pop up blocker in order to work.

Default taking Zyprexa...

My 12yr. old son is taking Zyprexa right now, it does seem to help his tics and help him sleep. My 2 oldest both have developed a sleep disorder. He only takes it at night so I have not noticed to much change in his eating habits, and he is at the stage of eating me out of house and home anyways. We are curently having a problem with severe deppresion and suicidal thoughts and supposedly it helps to stop those thoughts. He was taking Chlorpromazine as well but with the increase in the Zyprexa we stopped the CPZ, which is good because it makes you photo sesative and my boys who never used to burn in the sun are now burning. I hope this info helps someone.