Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tourette Children 'given asbos'

Default Tourette Children 'given asbos'

In Britain there are concerns that bureaucracy has overstepped the intention of legislation and some children with Tourette Syndrome are treated by the law as criminal juveniles.

A childrens' advocacy group claims that increasingly these are the very children who are being hauled before the courts and given Asbos, or anti-social behaviour orders.

The British Institute for Brain Injured Children (Bibic) claims more than 15 examples of children with Asperger's, Tourette Syndrome and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) were given so-called Asbos.

Read the whole story on the BBC website and let us know if your experience where you live reflects an overzealous bureaucracy.

This is such a shame.. especially in a day and age where we're supposed to be so much more enlightened. I don't know about children here where I live, but adults with mental disorders are commonly going through the court system instead of recieving help.

Haejinn,

With regard to injustices toward people with psychiatric illness, the problem is often that authorities do not always recognize the behaviour as requiring special attention.

There is often a concern about people with Tourette responding to a law enforcement officer with colprolalia or a rage reaction.

Are law enforcement people ever given training in recognizing disorders for what they are rather than threatening behaviour?

Most police training now includes information on mental illnesses and neurological disorders. The type of training differs from department to department, however, from discussions I have had with several police officers I know, it seems that awareness of having to deal with 'differences' is increasing.
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

With regard to injustices toward people with psychiatric illness, the problem is often that authorities do not always recognize the behaviour as requiring special attention.
    I dunno.. it seems that every few months, there's an article in our paper of someone or someone's family who is literally BEGGING for help, and may even have a diagnosis, but can't seem to get the help they need.