Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vocal Tic Definitions

Default Vocal Tic Definitions

Simple Vocal or Phonic Tics - Throat clearing, yelping and other noises, sniffing and tongue clicking.

Complex Vocal Tics - Uttering ordinary words or phrases out of context, echolalia (repeating a sound, word or phrase just heard) and in rare cases, coprolalia (vocalizing socially unaccceptable words).

Echolalia- Involuntary repetition of words or phrases said by others; the involuntary parrot-like repetition (echoing) of a word or sentence just spoken by another person.

Palilalia - Repeatedly saying one's own words or phrases

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words including excessive and uncontrollable use of foul or obscene language, including words related to feces (bowel waste).

Persons with Tourette syndrome might also curse out of anger or displeasure, but they should be able to discern between an angry outburst and an uncontrollable compulsion.

Coprolalia can upon occasion also be a symptom of schizophrenia, a severe psychiatric disorder of thought in which the sufferer loses touch with reality, withdraws from social activity and exhibits bizarre behavior. The schizophrenic may curse for no apparent reason.

There is no known relationship between Tourette syndrome and schizophrenia.

Undiagnosed persons with Tourette syndrome or schizophrenia are often subjected to public ridicule from persons within earshot of a coprolalia outburst. Observers believe the outburst is the result of a conscious and voluntary decision to swear. It is not. Medication is available to control the outbursts.

Persons who swear excessively, repeatedly and deliberately -- that is, they swear because they want to --are not technically exhibiting coprolalia, although the media often applies the term loosely to them.

"Coprolalia" is derived from the Greek words "kopros" (dung) and "lalein" (to babble).
    Last edited by Steve; April 16, 2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: edit content for clarification

Default Re: Vocal Tic Definitions

Thank-you ,very useful & helpful information Steve! makes me feel more at ease.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words including excessive and uncontrollable use of foul or obscene language, including words related to feces (bowel waste).
    Hi Steve!

Just wanted to say that I wish there were another word, besides "coprolalia", to describe involuntary utterances that are socially inappropriate but not foul or obscene.

For example, saying "I love you!" to strangers on the bus! And other things that are taboo in certain social situations. Like "corner office", when the corner office at work is going to be reassigned to someone and you hope to get it.

I wish another name, like maybe "tabulalia", could be used to describe these utterances. For me at least, that would make it easier to explain to people when they ask.

Twidget

Twidget,

I wish there were another word, besides "coprolalia"
    And there is another way to explain to others when necessary.

The terms listed in this explanation are the medical terminology used to precisely describe the symptom of Tourette, most often used when discussing your symptoms with your doctor, another person with Tourette...a kind of techno-speak.

However when explaining our symptoms of Tourette to co-workers, family or friends (when necessary) it is usually sufficient to say something like, "The sounds or movements I make are because I have Tourette Syndrome. It's a neurological disorder that causes involuntary muscle movement, sounds or even phrases"

You would, of course, customize the explanation to suit the circumstance, but always keeping the important keywords:
    • Tourette,
    • Neurological disorder,
    • Involuntary

It's important that your message highlights the fact that involuntary means the actions are not behavioural.

Behaviour can be modified, involuntary actions cannot.

Keep a printed overview of Tourette Syndrome handy, written by a competent and recognized authority if you ever have to support your verbal explanation.

Some of these can be found HERE and a wider selection in the entire section HERE.

Have you ever tried developing redirection strategies to deal with situations like on the bus?

Have you ever tried developing redirection strategies to deal with situations like on the bus?
    The examples given are just some that I've heard from other people I know with Tourettes. In my case, it's just one short phrase which can be covered pretty well because I say it very quickly. But, technically, I do have coprolalia. Most people where I live have heard of Tourettes; they're just curious.

I've been reading about redirection strategy here on this forum. Something I never knew about. Will continue studying this to learn more. Thanks!

Where can I find that post on redirection strategies?

Geneva,

I'm not sure I remember where to locate some earlier posts on tic redirection, but I'll see if I can find them. In the meantime, you may wish to try a Forum search for the term "redirection".

However, to bring the discussion up to date, the recent findings on Cognitive Behavioural Intervention for Tics CBIT are the current recommendation of TSFC and many other Tourette authorities as the first choice therapy for children.

CBIT teaches what many of us in the "old days" learned on our own, where the child is taught to recognize the promonitory urge before the tic is expressed, and they learn re-direction techniques to lessen the noticeable impact of the actual tic.

A favorite re-direction technique I used and still do when necessary, is to clench my toes inside my shoes, or twist my ankle when seated, instead of expressing a facial tic or some other upper body tic that would be noticed by someone nearby.

The idea is to find ways of satisfying the urge in a more "socially acceptable" manner when in the presence of others, to camouflage or suppress the actual tic, while temporarily satisfying the urge for the primary tic.

A search for the term CBIT will bring you to the various posts and articles on that subject.