Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: day time and night time tics

Default day time and night time tics

i as thinking about this last night as i lay in bed ticcing and twitching,
    i have different tics for daytime ,mainly sniffing/snorting,winking
    but at night they are different,nodding alot,shoulder shrugging,and opening my eyes constantly when i need them closed ! :x
    anyone else have diffferent tics for day and night time?
    jo

Now that you mention it, there does seem to be a variation in the "nocturnal" repertoire ...

Do you know if you tic while you sleep?

i dont know,i was thinking just last night that i may video record myself but im too scared of what i might see :?
    jo

We tic in our sleep. The 80% rule applies here - some Touretters must have such mild sleep tics that no one notices or cares, even with a video camera.

TS is generated in the basal ganglia, part of the lower or crocodilian brain. Sleep is an aspect of higher functioning in the brain. In my opinion, we sleep so much because we process so much, as compared to other animals. Processing abstract language takes a lot of flops (flop = computer doing one thing).

Why would we NOT tic when we sleep? That part of your brain never rests - if it did, we would die the first time we took a nap. Our hearts and lungs don't need us to be awake, or even cognizant of them. Heck, human beings did not know about some of our organs until they looked inside a body and saw them. Leeches were used to remove one of the FOUR liquids of the body. Um, by high school you should be able to name quite a bit more than four.

As for the tics changing during sleep, when do tics NOT change over time, or based on circumstances? My tics react to stimulus. My Mom (Mrs. Pruitt) loves to get me up on stage and prove this point by discussing tics I have. In front of a thousand people, with my mother describing me rotating my shoulders, well, you know... My neck tics LOVE ties. Tics, ties. Hmmm... I sense a conspiracy in the words. Call Robert Langdon.

Sorry. As I was saying, the tics do seem to react to context, like changes in clothing, temperature, STRESS, present company included, blood sugar levels, caffeine, everything. Sleep reduces incoming stimulus by what, 90%. It shuts down major brain centers and slows down some autonomic systems. So maybe the tics just do not have enough 'friends' to play with.

I hope I did not get too preachy there. Here is what I would like to see happen: someone with a PhD and a grant needs to video tape a few thousand of us sleeping, and find out what the PATTERN is to the change in tics when we sleep. My money is on less vocal / breathing tics, but I am open minded. I would also guess that gross (large) motor tics that are highly unsuccessful during waking get to come out and play. Imagine how hard it would be to walk if both legs were twitching at the same time. I would also like to see the % of Touretters that have no tics that show up on tape during sleep. No bet here - it could be anything. And what about tics during REM sleep, versus other layers of sleep?

One of the big problems with Touretters is that we self-report like Enron accountants - not at all, or incorrectly, most of the time. "How much do you tic during sleep?" "Uh, I'm asleep - how would I know?" Ha ha. But even when awake, we do not have full awareness of our tics. Thanks the heavens. If I 'knew' about every tic I would go mad. I certainly would not be able to sit still long enough to write something as long as this. If we studied sleep tics more, it would reduce the chance the Touretter could skew the information.
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

hmm,sleep studies,that would be interesting !
    my husband says i twitch my legs alot when i am sleeping and kick my feet up
    jo

I punched holes in things during Storms, rage attacks, as a teen. Imagine how delighted, really happy, I was when I found out one day that I had kicked a hole in the drywall next to my bed, and did it during my sleep. I ticced a hole in the wall, while asleep. It was NOT MY FAULT! Yea!

Yes, true story. Of course, I now know that none of my TS+ was my FAULT, but at 15 this is how I reacted.

I punched holes in things during Storms, rage attacks, as a teen
    I have a new hole in my wall from last weekend when my 7yo had a little episode. My husband fixed it immediately since it is in the common area of our home...plus one of my twins decided to see if his foot fit it... anyway, I have watched him sleep on occassion and he moves very little. My 13yo (approx 6 feet tall) wakes up every morning with no sheets on his bed...do you think he might be moving, just a little? Everymorning as I complain that his sheets are off again...I never once thought about it from this perspective... Thankfully we have yet to get holes in the wall during sleep...yet! :D
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Janet, I have the 80% rule in my back pocket whenever I talk about TS. I have to assume not everyone with TS has any one particular tic. And really, I don't know anyone else who kicked a hole in the wall during sleep. I think this is an unusual combination of things that are not a big stretch for TS folks. Just all together, it adds up to X-Files kinda stuff. "No, Muldar, I do not think this kid could have done this..." Hey, that would be a good short story - Muldar and Sculley investigate someone with bizarre TS+. Copyright, copyright! Ha ha.

My husband fixed it immediately
    7 years old is not too young to start learning how to repair drywall. I was doing it at that age. It is awesome for rebuilding (literally) the self esteem of the child. There are about 14 other benefits that you can likely see for yourself. The TS child MUST MUST learn how to clean up after themselves. Some of the 'wisdom of Sherry Pruitt' goes like this: you can not avoid making mistakes. It is not about avoiding mistakes, it is about how you clean them up. I know it seems like a long way in the future, but you do not want to have to visit the college dorm room to fix things, he needs to do this himself, and starting very young is totally okay, developmentally, emotionally, self-esteem wise, etc.

I am working on writing this stuff up, so I can put it on the web site and it can soon go into my first book, but here is the short version: my family practiced having storms. Seriously. Like a fire drill. When everyone was awake, calm, fed, etc., we would gather in the living room, and I would go "Storm, storm, storm". And the rest of the family would say out loud, "Oh, look, Darin's having a storm." And then we would run the fire drill. IT WORKED! Think about trying that. Another way to build self-esteem in your son, is to let him clean it up BEFORE it happens.

Good luck.

And then we would run the fire drill.
    Darin -- Can you share what you did in the 'fire drill'? Was it getting you to a safe place? What else was involved?

This is a big topic for those families that have kids that 'storm'. Some specifics on what worked for your family would be a great help.

Thanks!
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

7 years old is not too young to start learning how to repair drywall.
    Hey Darin

I have learned that from being around so many people who were more experienced and knowledgeable than me so that was my immediate response to my Husband. It's okay, make him fix it. However, my husband is pretty much a "normie" and due to the normie dad Y-chromosome, he has not read anything or gone anywhere to try to understand what we are living with, so he turned into the "FIXER Dad" and fixed it because that's what he does. In the meantime, my son has a hole in his bedroom wall that happened a while ago that is not fixed and when he developes the "skill of drywalling" then it will be fixed. So I hear your advice... we are working on it.

I too would like to hear what you do in a "fire drill". When I anticipate a storm I quickly encourage quiet time in their rooms so things can settle... sometimes it works
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College